The Ghost Of Joedohn...

sparklehorse

dasein wrote:

Wow, thanks for pointing this out, Sparklehorse! We're afraid of heights and dropoffs though. You think we'd be ok? BTW, welcome back!

Hi dasein, thanks. I was sick for a while, or well maybe I was well. Not sure. Anyway, heights, yes, quite a few of them sorry to say. All part of the adventure, but safe enough. There is just one truly dicey stretch where some moron has removed the metal catwalk. It's sort of a trestle I guess but it's very short and not too high off the ground. So the problem is you've got to just step on the ties, which have gaps of about a foot or so between them. It's not really that bad though. We managed to cross it without incident in the morning when the ties had that delightful combination of ice and water and creosote on them. Trekking poles were helpful, but it was risky I gotta say. It was much easier to cross on the way back when the ties were dry. In retrospect it might have been wiser to try to bushwhack around that puppy if possible, but we're not that smart. The real trestles, and there's a couple of good ones, have walkways so they're not really a problem. The tunnels are wide enough to be safe as well. That said it still would be pretty unnerving to encounter a train at those places. On the other hand the trains seem to move pretty slow and you can hear them from a good distance so you've got that fact working in your favor. Plus there's just a couple a day apparently. But this is all part of the adventure that makes this such a great cache. Hope that helps!

sparklehorse

Would people be interested in a road trip?

This looks like a real fun hike. Since it is at least a four, maybe five hour drive to the trail head from the Seattle area, I would want to join a group of people for a trip down. Not sure when the best time to do that would be. It might have to be a weekend trip. Keep me in mind.

Not sure. Anyway, heights, yes, quite a few of them sorry to say. All part of the adventure, but safe enough. There is just one truly dicey stretch where some moron has removed the metal catwalk. It's sort of a trestle I guess but it's very short and not too high off the ground. So the problem is you've got to just step on the ties, which have gaps of about a foot or so between them. It's not really that bad though. We managed to cross it without incident in the morning when the ties had that delightful combination of ice and water and creosote on them. Trekking poles were helpful, but it was risky I gotta say. It was much easier to cross on the way back when the ties were dry. In retrospect it might have been wiser to try to bushwhack around that puppy if possible, but we're not that smart...

Thank you so much for the advice, Sparklehorse! I'm putting this on our "Hikes for 2006" bookmark list. Doug and I are most afraid of heights/dropoffs on narrow trails along cliffs. We just might be able to pull this off, especially if we were part of a supportive group. I'm especially wary (careful?) since falling off a trail switchback (while caching) breaking my left ankle on 8/13/05, but am slowly working my way back. We're not, however, afraid of bushwacking! Wonder if the person who took the metal catwalk was one of those people who takes metal railings off bridges to support their meth habit. If they did, hopefully they had to carry it a very long way; I pray for them. We'll plan for a nice weekend day this spring/summer and post as far as possible ahead of time for others to join. We'd sure love to meet you. The view from Camp Krummholz has been one of THE very best in our caching career. We'll never forget it.

--laurak of dasein

laurak of dasein wrote:

I'm especially wary (careful?) since falling off a trail switchback (while caching) breaking my left ankle on 8/13/05, but am slowly working my way back.

Yikes, must be tough to get back out there on the trails after something like that, especially trails with switchbacks. Congrats for having the courage.

laurak of dasein wrote:

Wonder if the person who took the metal catwalk was one of those people who takes metal railings off bridges to support their meth habit. If they did, hopefully they had to carry it a very long way; I pray for them.

The catwalk thingy is actually lying on the ground near the problem "mini-trestle". We thought it was just some random debris until we reached another mini-trestle down the pike that had its catwalk in place. This of

course inspired an "Aha!" moment. Since I didn't try to scope out a bushwhack path around the mini-trestle I can't guarantee there is one. The upshot is if you get there and get turned around because you aren't comfortable with any of your options you will have only hiked in about a mile and a half and had a very pleasant hike at that.

Glad you enjoyed Camp Krummholz. I love it over there. Gotta get over there this year and replace that leaky rubbermaid with an ammo can or something. Curious to see how close the big fires got to it a couple years ago.

sparklehorse

Edited by sparklehorse