Wilkes-barre/hazleton

bottlecap

Yes, I find it odd myself that with all the cachers in NEPA something hasn't come about. I'm not sure if an actual local organization/group of geocachers has ever been attempted. It's a worthy thought.

Personally, over the years I have been caching I have met quite a few cachers by meeting on the trail, caching events, CITO events, team caching, etc. in and out of the NEPA area. A few of my more memorable local event examples are:

Moon Lake CITO Event

Red Rock & Rolls Event

Geocaching University

NEPA Geocaching Pinic

Maybe creating an event (i.e. picinic) would be a good launching point to do a meet and greet and a good place to poll interest in an actual group.

Edited by mtndave

Great idea! We've been to several events in the area and we are due. As Miss Jenn stated Red Rock & Rolls was by far the best. Getting a group together may be tougher than you think. It's been done before, but never seems to get going consistently. We're always up for it, but we have very limited time anymore (See the profile BoKnowsCaching) and you'll see why. I'd like to see an overnight event at one of the local parks in the area & maybe we can get the ball rolling from there. Mtn. Dave did an excellent job with getting a map of everyone's camping area at the Red Rock & Rolls event. The people from Moon Lake S.P. were very thankful for one of the C.I.T.O's that we did and I'm sure would love to have us back. We are definately up for it and can give some advice in the planning of it.

I would'nt mind seeing something start up local .

HOW ABOUT IT, ANY INTEREST OUT THERE?

Of course I'm interested as I suspect many others are. Not sure how many of the NEPA cachers actually monitor the forums. There has been talk and some casual attempts in the past. I suspect some sort of event posted would probably draw more attention than the forums.

A Spring Day picinic event would be a great icebreaker idea to get everybody together. Also, an opportunity to gather thoughts about becoming a bit more organized as well as look forward to bigger and better similar to Moon Lake and Red Rocks & Rolls.

As MissJenn & WBFD noted "Red Rocks and Rolls" was awsome. Originally it was planned as a a day picinic/meet & greet and it just sorta grew on it's own. I have had a few fleeting thoughs since then of another but it is going to be hard to come close. But maybe.......

Hey Guys,

I would be up for another event and although it was more lax than anything else, Greg and I had a great time at our picnic last year. However, I know with myself that I am going on a summer camp staff, going to camp school, packing and planning for college in Washington DC, and staffing a ten-day leadership seminar. In between all of that I'm going on a trip to Michigan, Ottawa, and Delaware. It's going to be a busy summer.

However, before I go to college, I would love to go camping ... and if I can't go camping with the Boy Scouts, I'd love to go with a group of geocachers. I'd be game for an event, however, I do not feel I have the full capabilities, resources, and time to coordinate it. :unsure:

:)

- JD

I am about to put out a new cache,and if I can figgure out how I want to do it, I will make mention of this topic.

That way when you search for a new cache, or are notified of a new cache in our area you will be informed on the cache page . [FOR THOSE WHO DON'T USE THE FORUMS]

I may call it NORTHEASTERN PA GEOCACHERS UNITE!

It will be a log book only cache. The logs..... found it, or post a note, will let us know if there is any interest.

If there is enough interest then we can talk about Picnics, and camping,and stuff.

Bumping this thread once in a while might help too.

Watia tink Heyna?....or No?

Ol'Bluesguys Back Porch

Thanks for your attention, but I was thinking more along the lines of NE Pa. not NE US.

The Negeocaching.com website is "run" by a prominent Wilkes-Barre area cacher. True, not much activity going on there though. I seem to remember a teenaged cacher trying to start a NEPA group, but it pretty much went nowhere. I'm sure there was even a thread regarding it in this very forum.

I'm not a NEPA'er, just a semi-frequent caching visitor ;)

Thanks for your attention, but I was thinking more along the lines of NE Pa. not NE US.

The Negeocaching.com website is "run" by a prominent Wilkes-Barre area cacher. True, not much activity going on there though. I seem to remember a teenaged cacher trying to start a NEPA group, but it pretty much went nowhere. I'm sure there was even a thread regarding it in this very forum.

Found it. NEPAGA thread in Northeast Forum The website (on lycos.com) is linked to in the thread. Looks like NEPAGA has 7 members, an no activity in a long time.

Well, I guess the only way to make it happen, is to just do it. Make sure you are set up to recieve event caches. I'll go out and do some research tomorrow about a place where a meeting can be held. I'm going to shoot for something between Hazleton and Wilkes Barre, probably closer to Wilkes-Barre because of the whole population thing. I'll message mtndave, since he is from Mountaintop, and might have some suggestions.

Well, I guess the only way to make it happen, is to just do it. Make sure you are set up to recieve event caches. I'll go out and do some research tomorrow about a place where a meeting can be held. I'm going to shoot for something between Hazleton and Wilkes Barre, probably closer to Wilkes-Barre because of the whole population thing. I'll message mtndave, since he is from Mountaintop, and might have some suggestions.

Sounds like a great idea.

the easier it is to get somewhere the more likeky people will come.
Hi ChinCache!

With all due respect, I'd like to disagree.

Have GPS. Will travel. B)

Choose a beautiful location with good accommodations for outdoor enthusiasts, and a few excellent caches nearby certainly won't hurt.

Easy access wouldn't be tops on my list of concerns.

Hi everyone! This is a great idea and several cachers have asked us lately about something like this. Fox and I were even thinking of doing a picnic or something, but this is what we were hoping for. Team WBFD put us on the trail, but we're going to spread the word! I'll check back asap with some responses. :(

A few of my more memorable local event examples are:

Red Rock & Rolls Event

That kicked some great ammo can, that event !! Awesome people, great participation, a fire that was inside a tree trunk (remember that???), awesome ammo-box-caches, and I did not get killed with a machete!!!

We should Red Rock and Roll again ......

It wasn't a machette you had to worry about, it was a rather large axe. Owned by yours truly but I was loaning it to someone else! Glad you survived!

Hello all,

I was nudged into this thread and am glad to see so much interest in forming a local group. I have never been to an event, but it sounds like a good idea. Having some fellow cachers to talk to and hit up for good hunts would be nice.

Count me in. :(

How do you setup to receive event caches? I'm sure it's simple, but if you've never done it... Also, feel free to PM us to spread the news as plans develop. I've talked to some local cachers who expressed interest, but not all have checked in here yet. - Hound

Hey Fox & Hound, here's the info you requested:

Go to "My Account"-----then "Set up notifications" (about 1/2 way down the page on the right, under PREMIUM FEATURES)-----Go to the bottom of that page to "create a new notification"------Finally select "EVENT" under type. My suggestion is to broaden your mileage in the event cache, so if its closer to Hazleton, you'll still receive the notification.

Also, we're wondering if any tentative dates have been set? Just a reminder, youth turkey hunting starts on April 22nd (first light until noon), then April 29th starts the regular turkey season for about a month. If the event will be near hunting areas during the Spring turkey season, I HIGHLY recommend it be held on a Sunday just to be safe. We can't wait, hope the planning is going well.

Sorry to all!

I've had some family issues lately, and have been a bit out of touch.

Thank you very much Team WBFD, I forgot about spring gobbler.

I was steering away from a Sunday, because I didn't want to alienate anyone who doesn't want to miss church. But, I don't want anyone shot either.

I'm now thinking about something in the 11ish range for a time, on a Sunday, any input? I still want some time to cache afterwards.

Bottle Cap:

You don't have to shy away from Saturday, The Turkey hunters have to be out of the woods by 12: Noon,and WBFD will have his gobbler by then

Good point on the noon thing OBG....From the woods to the event, anyway WBFD looks good in camo and I bet BO looks good in camo too.

Bottle Cap:

You don't have to shy away from Saturday, The Turkey hunters have to be out of the woods by 12: Noon,and WBFD will have his gobbler by then

Good point on the noon thing OBG....From the woods to the event, anyway WBFD looks good in camo and I bet BO looks good in camo too.

MtDave:

I'm sure Kevin will be finished with his turkey hunting long before any event happens. He is really into his gobbler hunting

It may be time to nominate locations for this get together.

My nomination is the Manny Gordon Picnic area in the Lack.State forest .

I hear a new cache is soon to be placed nearby, and several are in the area.

I know, I know....Kevin would have enough time to bag the turkey, pluck & clean, deep fry and deliver a hot turkey dinner, all before noon.

Stay tuned. I think we will be hearing from Bottlecap soon.

OBG. So where exactly is this Manny Gordon picnic area in Lackawanna State Forest? (Enjoy, Enjoy !!!)

Sounds interesting and another good canidate for a potential 2006 series of NEPA caching events up and down the valley. WhooHoo !!!! A loooong time coming.

Mt Dave :

It's between Mountain Lake{Meadow Run] and Thornhurst.

Has picnic tables, shelters, and rest rooms

Choke creek Multi, and Rat Fink caches are nearby.

and a few others .

Its a nice area, although I haven't physically been in the park in a few years. Should be easy enough for everyone to find.

Of course there is always Rickets Glen or the Lake Jean area off Rt 118.

Edited by Team LPD

Ok guys and gals, try to keep April 29th, 11:00am. open. I have submitted a meet and greet, and waiting for approval.

I'll be back with the link when it is approved. It's set up as a brunch at a restaurant in Mountaintop. Please show up with all of your great ideas for future events!

Try to find a place along the turnpike where it meets 80, the easier it is to get somewhere the more likeky people will come. let me know where and when, we have family in the area but have yet to cache there.

I'm not from your area either, but I'm familiar with it because my in-laws have a vacation home in the Beech Mountain Lakes complex in Drums that they visit somewhat often and me a little less often (haven't cached in NE PA yet but intend to this spring/summer). I used to have some family somewhat near your area too (Carbondale, NE of Scranton) but haven't visited them in a long time.

Anyway, the complex may be a good place to have your event. It is not far off I-80 exit 262 (route 309, from Mountain Top you'd just go down 309 awhile, those in Hazleton could choose to go up 309 instead of I-81/80), and although it is a gated community, the Lakeside Lounge is open to everyone, you just tell the guard you're going to the lounge and they'll give you a visitor pass; they are actively seeking outside events as well. In Waymarking, you can look for my waymark for this site under "Fishing Holes".

The view of the lake is quite nice and I think you'd find it to be a good place for an event. Good luck!

Edited by hairymon

I'm not from your area either, but I'm familiar with it because my in-laws have a vacation home in the Beech Mountain Lakes complex in Drums that they visit somewhat often and me a little less often (haven't cached in NE PA yet but intend to this spring/summer).

Wow hairymon, that is very close to home! Make sure you drop me a line if you are in the area.

Ok guys and gals, try to keep April 29th, 11:00am. open. I have submitted a meet and greet, and waiting for approval.

I'll be back with the link when it is approved. It's set up as a brunch at a restaurant in Mountaintop. Please show up with all of your great ideas for future events!

<_< Ranedrop here. Am interested in the meeting, will be there solo probably. But, am interested in uniting the NE cachers...will keep the date open. Ranedrop.

not a local, but a frequent visitor (snowmobiling in wayne and susquahanna counties), wishing you well on this event and organizing a group. sorry i can't make it, i'll be instructing at an nra event, but would be interested in trying to make it to another nepa event in the future. best wishes!

-denali

Bjornian (from the Scranton area) is attempting to organize a CITO event on the Lackawanna Heritage Trail along the river. The trail runs right through Scranton and there are currently two caches on the trail (there were three, but one has been archived because the owner didn't feel it was right to have people visit a site with so much litter). The trail is in really good condition, and is a nice place for walking, jogging, and biking. If anyone is even remotely interested in a CITO activity in the area, it would be nice to put in a word of encouragement or even offer to help! :ph34r:

Here's the link to the forum topic.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry2150349