Placed Our First Cache

Wojo1024

We're relative newbies, gecocaching since around October of '05. After this weekend we have 20 caches and 3 Travel Bugs found. :mad:

This weekend also marks another milestone for us. We placed our first cache! :D Collecting the supplies to make the container, and purchasing treasure to put into it were as fun as a good hunt! We transplanted our first found Travel Bug into the cache.

It's fair to say that we're pretty well hooked. I ordered today the tags for our first Travel Bug, and we're already talking about planting another cache. :mad:

I would have to say judging from the cache page you did an excellent job for your first hide. I just wish it were closer so I could try for a FTF on it, but Minnesota is a little far away from it.

Thanks! The FAQ and help pages were pretty informative. We had a blast planting it. Woke up this morning and had notifications that 3 people found it yesterday. :D I'm thinking there's one more as the three that logged their find on the website said in their logs that they didn't find the Travel Bug that was in the cache. :D

We had fun loading the cache. We ended up at our local dollar store, where they were selling $1 grab bags. They had different bags for a boy, girl and home. We bought a boy and girl grab bag, and it was fun opening them to see what we'd be putting into the cache. When it's time to restock the cache we'll be picking up some more grab bags! :D

Edited by Wojo65

Well, our first cache went from good to bad in a hurry. After just two days our cache has gone missing. :rolleyes: We hunted around and could find no sign of it whatsoever. I've disabled the cache until we can rebuild it and find a new location. We thought that we had hidden it quite well, as compared with other caches that we have found. Very disappointing. :P

Edited by Wojo1024

Well, our first cache went from good to bad in a hurry. After just two days our cache has gone missing. :P We hunted around and could find no sign of it whatsoever. I've disabled the cache until we can rebuild it and find a new location. We thought that we had hidden it quite well, as compared with other caches that we have found. Very disappointing. :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :P Bummer. :cry:I've had five of my caches muggled, one twice, by an animal, I think, because of its remote location, and another one two times.

I have replaced them, but two of the containers were unique, so their replacements are plain, ol' boring containers now.

I hope your replacement cache stays put. Did you have many visitors while it was in place?

It's almost as much fun hiding them as it is finding them.

Totally agree with that, I haven't had a lot of time to go out on caching trips lately, but I get my caching fix from planning new hides in the meantime. I think I like hiding a little more than finding. I love dropping by my caches to read the log books.

Oh, that's great! :laughing:

I'm glad you found it. There is a cache here that was "rehidden better than they found it" and no one, including the cache owners, ever found it again. :anibad:

They put a new container in the original hiding spot.

Glad that wasn't the case here. :huh:

Well I've been around using my GPS for hiking and backpacking for about 3 years. I've decided to start Geocaching. I found a few caches 10-12 days ago and placed a cache yesterday.

Here is my problem. I've spend more time trying to register my cache then it took me to make and place my cache. I must be doing something incorrectly but I don't know what. I read the FAQ's but I'm coming up empty. I put in the information in the on line form except for two spaces:

Related web page?

Background Image URL

Optional field. This will change the background image on the web page to the location you define.

When I submit the form I get these two remarks:

• You do not have a valid web page URL.

• You do not have a valid background image URL.

So what do I need to do? I’m obviously missing something here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Buzz

Well I've been around using my GPS for hiking and backpacking for about 3 years. I've decided to start Geocaching. I found a few caches 10-12 days ago and placed a cache yesterday.

Here is my problem. I've spend more time trying to register my cache then it took me to make and place my cache. I must be doing something incorrectly but I don't know what. I read the FAQ's but I'm coming up empty. I put in the information in the on line form except for two spaces:

Related web page?

Background Image URL

Optional field. This will change the background image on the web page to the location you define.

When I submit the form I get these two remarks:

So what do I need to do? I’m obviously missing something here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Buzz

Hi Buzz,

You can ignore "Related Web Page " unless you have something like a geocaching web page you want to link to or a personal web page all about you that you want people to learn about your from.

Do you have web space someplace where you have the images your are trying to post? In that field for the Background Image URL you should have something like:

"http://your.webspace.com/yourusername/image.jpg"

Therefore, an image from my website would be listed like this:

"http://www.showme.net/~johntrn/Geocaching/ToadLick.jpg"

Which would look like: ToadLick.jpg

JohnTee

Well Mr. John Tee, I hate being upstaged by my son-he's a good kid-but he did it to me again. I told him the trouble I was having trying to submit my cache. I explained that I wasn't filling in the two items:

Related web page?

Background Image URL

and that when I went to send the form in it would come back with an error message:

Well he watched me type in the information for the 36th time and send it with the same result.

He said type it in again, I did. He said see what you did in those two boxes, you put N/A in both boxes. Try taking them out. I did, I hit enter, the form went through, my son looked at me with a big smile on his face and walked away. Well at least I got the cache submitted and my son is one up on the old man again!.

Thanks for your reply.

Buzz G

Garbage in, garbage out, if only I could remember that!

I heard of a cache that seemed to have gone missing. The owner replaced it. Then people started finding and logging the cache, but only half the logs were in the log book. It took quite a while before someone found there were now two caches: the new one in the original spot, and the old one some 70 feet away. Some people were finding the new one, some people were finding the old one, all were logging the same cache page.