Another Question About The Slow Website

Cheminer Will

Just for info, this is the main error I get this morning.

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

12:32 pm pst i get this.../sigh.

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +45

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +5

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +304

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +77

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSet(String sql, Database database, Int32 Timeout) +209

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlGalleryController.GetGalleryImageData(Int64 GalleryID, DBImageDataSources ImageDataSource) +108

Groundspeak.Web.Gallery.Gallery.get_GalleryImages() +46

Geocaching.UI.track_details.ShowImages() +103

Geocaching.UI.track_details.GenerateBugPage() +328

Geocaching.UI.track_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +77

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1082

Geocaching.UI.track_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +265

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +755

6:42 est

Server still too busy. I have caches to log from over the weekend. I have enough to get me to 300! I can harly wait to see that. I ususally log on Mondays and have never had a problem so maybe now everyone is also waiting until Mondays so maybe Tuesday will be the perfect logging day from now on.

This is strange. I only had one or two server errors last night while I was logging my finds, and have had no problems connecting with GC.com today. All my TB transactions went through the first time, too. I'm on the West Coast.

It's almost as if backbone routers are playing favorites. :)

Edited by budd-rdc

I honestly do hate to sound repetitive but I really don't think the problem with the servers should be a burden the geocaching community should be subjected to at all. Of course, situations will occur, things happen, sure. But apparently this problem is somewhat predictable and expected. Premium member or not, I think the problem needs to be corrected. I think the ideas of keeping the site and the sport free is wonderful and very commendable but at what point do you begin to bite the hand that feeds? What can we as a community do to help the situation? Many of us, I'm sure, would be very willing to do whatever we could to help out, monetarily or by other means. Put a surcharge on Travel Bugs, I'm sure that people would be more than willing to pay a little more for Travel Bugs than tolerate the problems with the site.

I post this as an opinion, not a complaint.

To me the funny thing about the premium memberships is that one membership can be used by an entire household. People have no problem shelling out hundreds of dollars for a day at a mind-numbing amusement park, but something as rewarding(in so many countless ways) as Geocaching is, I personally don't think there's even an argument.

I do understand that many people who enjoy caching cannot afford a premium membership, but I do believe it comes down to a simple system of "checks and balances."

Oh whatever --- CACHE ON!!

Bleeder973

Hey Groundspeak, here is definitely need to do something very fast !!!

In the past problems only occured on weekend. Now it is not possible to reach gc.com during the week. Summer is coming and this situation will not getting better. So please do something. It´s very frustrating especially for a paying premium member.

Still unsolved:

Server Too Busy

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

:)

How many new premium memberships would it take to scale out the servers?

How many of the people that do not like getting a server busy would be willing to get a premium membership?

If you are premium members already then you rock!

I do think it would be worth knowing what GC.com is currenlty doing/planning to support traffic and growth as well as what they need.

what the??? its Tues at 10:40. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Ummm, they said they were working on it. Will whining about it make the solution come quicker?

It lets them know where our priorities and concerns are. Silence isn't going to get results either.

Look at the news about the immigration rallies. Think the politicians are paying more attention now?

Give him a break....."he" is only a tadpool!

Who? I didn't direct my comment to any one individual.

It lets them know where our priorities and concerns are. Silence isn't going to get results either.

Look at the news about the immigration rallies. Think the politicians are paying more attention now?

Two thoughts:

1) You don't think the other comments in the half dozen active threads on this issue got their attention, even when TPTB have responded in the threads?

2) Let's not drag the thread into politics. You likely don't want to know my thoughts on the issue and I doubt anything posted in this forum will sway my opinion.

We're actively doing tests on the web site today, so expect to see some issues. In order to diagnose the problem we need to poke and prod the patient.

Are you still testing? - 'cause it look like there is no way in still now (thursday evening UTC)...

Server Too Busy

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Edit:

Oh -I've never seen that version before:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Edited by BalkanSabranje
:D After about a year of geocaching, I finally decided to become a premium member and what do I get, "Server down" about 10 times in the last 10 days all when I'm about 50 miles away from home at VARIOUS libraries. On each and every one of those days I had to curtail my searching and wasted many a trip. I kind of think I want to get my money back and be juat a regular member as I have been for 11 months.

:D After about a year of geocaching, I finally decided to become a premium member and what do I get, "Server down" about 10 times in the last 10 days all when I'm about 50 miles away from home at VARIOUS libraries. On each and every one of those days I had to curtail my searching and wasted many a trip. I kind of think I want to get my money back and be juat a regular member as I have been for 11 months.

Aha! It's all *YOUR* fault! :D

I can not get one the website right now. :):D :D Something about a outofmemory throwing an expection or something like that....

I need to run some PQs for the weekend.

I just went and read the thread about that error and maybe the system did not restart again or whatever is supposed to happen.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

I doubt there are many other web sites that see this kind of traffic - at least the unique situation we have when everyone logs their finds at the same time. Usually sites get some increased levels during different timeframes but I doubt they get the kind of dogpiling as this site gets.

the problem is really simpel: the webhost can't handle this kind of traffic. there are providers and servers that handle much much more then just a few geocachers.

hotmail/google/yahoo/gmail/ they have thousends of hit per second and you never see a timed out on google....

i think you should just find another webhost that can handle this kind of traffic...

wont be that hard...

good luck

the problem is really simpel: the webhost can't handle this kind of traffic. there are providers and servers that handle much much more then just a few geocachers.

We didn't say the problem was hard to figure out. It's how to fix it which is the challenge.

And the companies you mention have something we don't - piles and piles of resources.

Whiny complaint again. Same as yesterday, vacation, and cant access site.

You can't access it every minute today but that is due to reboots and other tests we are doing so it runs faster. As I indicated earlier you have to poke and prod the patient to determine the problem. There are many variables.

hotmail/google/yahoo/gmail/ they have thousends of hit per second and you never see a timed out on google....

i think you should just find another webhost that can handle this kind of traffic...

wont be that hard...

good luck

Riiiight. $$$$$$$$$$imple.

You do know this a FREE sport, right? $30 premium memberships don't buy much bandwidth these days.

Maybe if GC.com launch a multi-million dollar public stock offering... :D

never say never I've had hotmail AND google time out on me...

You do know this a FREE sport, right? $30 premium memberships don't buy much bandwidth these days.

Well, there seems to be enough spare money for marketing surveys.

And coding features noone can use because the servers are unavaiable.

This is not the weekend. And i'm in another timezone. And still server performance sucks.

Groundspeak doesn't even catch the exceptions and generates an error page that tells me what's up, and when I will be able to use the service I pay for.

And I'm not getting the impression that Groundspeak is really doing something.

There was an update. Cool. Some cell phone feature noone really knows what it's doing, and something with the bookmarks.

Oh yeah, and even worse server performance. Great.

Not everybody reads the forums and he's right - catching the server errors and replacing them with a message like "We're sorry the service is so slow. We are currently testing our equipment to serve you better. Try again after 5PM PST" would be more informative and customer oriented.

I usually don't read the forums, but because my job is focused now on increasing the performance of our web app, this thread has been interesting.

wont be that hard...

good luck

Maybe if GC.com launch a multi-million dollar public stock offering... :D

:D

I hope Groundspeak stays a private company. Don't want anyone with the last name of Skilling, Kozlowski, or Lay running this operation.

Shareholders who don't care about the game are VERY annoying to our interests. :)

11'th time in 11 days, looks like you have a habit of TESTING your web site around noon Eastern Standard Time or each and every time I'm out in the field and trying to enter my logs from a library.

I know you have more than one server since the forum username/password combo is case sensitive while the geocaching username/password is not case sensitive, that's at least 2 servers. And when I made my first couple caches my profile summary box showed 2 hidden but if you clicked on it and looked at geocaches there were none hidden by me until a couple hours later, so that's apparently a third server. And sometimes when I log a cache or a travel bug, my stats increment immediately but the cache or travel bug page does not show my log for several minutes, so that's a fourth server?

I know you have more than one server since the forum username/password combo is case sensitive while the geocaching username/password is not case sensitive, that's at least 2 servers. And when I made my first couple caches my profile summary box showed 2 hidden but if you clicked on it and looked at geocaches there were none hidden by me until a couple hours later, so that's apparently a third server. And sometimes when I log a cache or a travel bug, my stats increment immediately but the cache or travel bug page does not show my log for several minutes, so that's a fourth server?

Geez. The fact that the site doesn't increment your stats immediately is your worst complaint? At least we're progressing here.

Yeah, that all follows quite logically. And from there we will conclude that the problem must be caused by having 4 servers. And from there we determine that the number 4 is bad for some reason. But how to decide whether 3 or 5 be better. ;-)

What did Arthur Clarke say about magic and science?

In China the number 4 is Si, which also means death. So in China don't use 4 servers. Fortunately we can get to 12 with no issues. 13 on the other hand...

(as an aside, many changes this week will hopefully alleviate some issues over the weekend. We also have some tricks up our collective sleeves over the next couple of weeks. One is particularly exciting).

In China the number 4 is Si, which also means death. So in China don't use 4 servers. Fortunately we can get to 12 with no issues. 13 on the other hand...

Japan, too. We renamed our software instead of releasing a 4.0 version.

As long as Groundspeak HQ and the servers are not located on the fourth floor...

(Off Topic: if you visit a hospital in Japan or in Chinese speaking countries, note which floor is missing)

Again... B)

Server Too Busy

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

When it comes to the performance of web applicaions under a significant load there are several things to investigate. Being an outsider to the geocaching.com system, I can only speak in generalities. I'm sure you've already looked into alot of this, but I thought I'd toss in a few cents in case it sparks any new ideas.

Database Performance There are just way too many variables in this area to even take a SWAG at it from way out here. Single or multiple SQL servers? 32-bit vs 64-bit? SQL Server 2000 vs SQL Server 2005? Memory allocated to SQL Server? Database schema? Data table sizes? Performace analysis of SQL code that's running? Pooled connections? Using data sets or fast forward data readers? Size of data marshalled? Execution plan and result caching within SQL Server? Definitely not something to take a stab at from the outside.

Web application performance I'm assuming the site already runs on a web farm of servers. You could also analyze the IIS logs to determine the pages that get requested the most and performance analyze them to make them as small and efficient as possible. Part of that could involve redesigning the user workflow to create as little demand on the servers as possible for high-demand workflows. You could also check how much memory the ASP.Net worker process is sucking up. I don't know the design of how the various images, maps, and whatnot are served up so I won't comment on that.

Overall, probably not all that helpful, but a few cents of comments can't hurt.

Edited to add: All the other work that's done too by the site: pocket queries, WAP, e-mail generation, Google, etc. I don't know which servers are doing what work, so that bumps up the complexity too.

Edited by Ferreter5

Whiny complaint. or whatever.

Its 11:45pm PST and still timing out.

So much for beating the Day, Afterwork, Afterdinner, and weekend crowds.. must be the After evening news rush =p

I know ya all are doing your best, this is just the thread to post this stuff.

We're aware of this part. The site resets every 2 hours and it takes a bit of time for it to "catch up" to all the connections. We're working at ways to alleviate this issue - one of which is adding more web servers.

I have a question. This is serious. Pretend we're never busted each others' chops.

One simple feature I've mentioned a couple of times as not ever gotten a response from you as far as I've seen and that's the link on the Nearest Cache page that goes directly to the loggind page. When the site gets remotely busy I will log from GSAK's function that takes me directly to the logging page. I've got Prime Suspect's Grease Monkey script installed and it works like a champ.

My question is what is your take on this short cut? Do you feel not enough people would use it to matter? Sure, I know that eventually you'll still have to upgrade, but you'd still be cutting the page hits and thus DB hits. I know you still want to squeeze the last bit of performance out of the machines you have now. Wouldn't bypassing certain steps in the user path take the load off the servers? Even if half the folks used it, wouldn't that be a significant improvement?

TIA