Another Question About The Slow Website

Cheminer Will

Thought of this at work tonight and thought if it was a correct thought it may be helpful. Isn't ebay and our site set up close to the same? What I mean is that logs on that site update things like the highest price, the "my ebay page etc.

Maybe someone could talk to them about how they are set up.

However, I do want to point out that the growth of users and traffic for this website has been extremely predictable. Indeed, there is a whole thread dedicated to showing how predictable the growth has been. If the performance problems have come as a surprise to TPTB, it's not because they haven't been able to forecast the traffic.

While we don't have a system in place to provide detailed reporting of site activity, we do have some reports (like our bandwidth report from Internap) that give us some general numbers. It is true that the site growth and its patterns are fairly predictable, but what isn't predictable is how far we can go on our existing hardware and what the effect of new hardware will be. Complex systems like databases aren't linear; and trying to estimate how different components affect performance is nearly impossible.

When we replace hardware with hardware that's "twice as fast", we're not getting a doubling in capacity. We're probably getting something more along the lines of a 50% increase in capacity. And even that's just a guess. Predicting growth is fairly straightforward, but trying to measure how much we'll gain from a code change or an upgrade in hardware is almost impossible.

:) Elias

Maybe someone could talk to them about how they are set up.

I did. The response was "$37/share" :)

:)

Wish I had a link, but I recall 3-4 years ago that eBay was having severe availability problems, so they recruited an expert from the San Diego area for $500,000 in salary plus equivalent amount in stocks (which has since more than tripled) to fix the problem. I'm recalling this from memory from an article I read in mainstream media (Time or Newsweek) so you are welcome to check the accuracy if it's worthwhile.

I just found this particular forum - Geocaching.com Web Site - After realizing that ever since coming on here my computer has been incredibly slow. I thought something was wrong with my computer but I just today realized (ok my significant other realized...) It's just when I'm using this site that everything slows down. Yes, I've been using the site that much since I found out about geocaching! lol.

I multitask and thought it was all pages loading slowly, but now I realize it was just when I had various pages from this site loading in the background. So I came to see if anyone else has had this problem and I see that you have.

Hope this gets resolved soon :unsure:

Here's an idea that's bound to be unpopular with many...

When the server load gets too high, how about restricting logging of caches and TBs to premium members?

Told you it would be unpopular...

Paul

That would be fine by me :unsure:

It wouldn't be going against the theory of not having to pay to play, because those who don't have PM's could still get the coords., but would simply have to wait to log.

It would also seemingly tempt more people into getting a PM, which could eventually equal more server power to speed things up.

...but I say this in a moment when I am unable to log, so take it for what it's worth.

When the server load gets too high, how about restricting logging of caches and TBs to premium members?

Paul

I can't say I would be against this, I pay to use this site's features. On weekends its basicly unuseable. limit the weekend traffic to paying members and watch how many new subscribers there are!

Unless something is done as more and more new cachers join in its only going to get worse.

Interesting that the TB logging problem (TBs are requested to be dropped during a log, but only the log works) appears to only happen during high load. No error notification of any type occurs during this operation when it happened to me (no database timeout, no application error).

I noticed someone had the problem today on one of my caches.

Interesting that the TB logging problem (TBs are requested to be dropped during a log, but only the log works) appears to only happen during high load. No error notification of any type occurs during this operation when it happened to me (no database timeout, no application error).

I noticed someone had the problem today on one of my caches.

See if what is happening to you sounds like what was discussed in this thread. Jeremy had termed it lazy coder syndrome because all of the actions were not wrapped up in one single transaction.

Edited by GrizzlyJohn

Yeah, it's basically useless on a Sunday. There are really only two reasons that it is really annoying -- logging TBs and FTFs -- things that other people need to know. For my other logs, I COULD wait a day. It is frustrating to have a TB log "fail" and redo it and then see 5 submissions in the log later. :unsure:

Paul

I like this idea :unsure:

It wouldn't hurt me any 'cuz I am a premium member......sucks for those who aren't, but it would be another advantage for those who support the site.

I have 17 caches to log right now and the site is down! Is it long term?

So the site is down until tomorrow and they did not post a sticky saying this was going to happen??

How do you know it is until tomarrow morning?

I was basing it on what Tahosa and Sons said, guess I could have misinterpreted. I was asking how we knew it was going to be that long, but it isn't necessarily going to actually be that long, I guess...I dunno how this works!

*blink* Now I get:

Geocaching.com IP Error Page

We experienced a network error from your IP address and it has been temporarily disabled. Please contact us at admin@Groundspeak.com right away so we can correct it.

Thank you,

The Groundspeak Team

My IP address? Has been disabled...?

LOL It's good to know that others are getting the excat same thing that I am getting.......keeping each other updated!

woofiegrrl, mine says the same thing so it's something they are working on

Based on what I've been told we are just catching the page in different phases of repair so that is why we are getting what we are getting....still would feel better if someone from up top would post

So I guess I'm not the oly one to get this message:

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.geocaching.com home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Internet Explorer

So what can we do to get the attention of the mods to get them to come in and make us behave, least then they would be on to reassure us we are not all kicked off the site :unsure:

NEVER MIND, IT IS WORKING NOW :)

No one is kicked off the site. Its being worked on as we speak. Nobody panic.

I have an idea, but it's only a theory. I'll leave it up to people much smarter than me to figure out if it could work:

If the problem is that you are getting spikes over the weekend, and that if you were to average out the work, you would be balanced, how bout a tool that could be made available to log finds off-line.

It could be made available to premium members, and work somewhat like the GSAK program. You could log your finds, move your travelbugs, and write your notes. It could be "fed" by the Premium members pocket query results, once again just like GSAK.

Then, when your day's caching is complete, you "submit" the file to GC. There, it's stored, and processed as cycles free up.

Personally, I would use something like this, as long as it has been shown to be reliable. I logged 15 finds yesterday and took far far too long. I would gladly list them all into an "extract file" and submit. My time to log would be reduce at least by half, and Jeremy et all could regulate the flow of transactions into the server.

That would free up cycles for everyone who does not use the tool, including non-premium members.

Just a thought.

7:52 p.m. . . . ;)

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

I have an idea, but it's only a theory. I'll leave it up to people much smarter than me to figure out if it could work:

If the problem is that you are getting spikes over the weekend, and that if you were to average out the work, you would be balanced, how bout a tool that could be made available to log finds off-line.

Actually, back on page 1 of this thread, this exact thing was brought up. The answer is.... its in the works. I've thought it would be a great idea, almost since I started caching. Not even just for 'rapid logging' in peak times, but for logging cache raids, or what ever. You log all your finds locally, and then hit 'upload' and they magically (eventually) appear on the site.

Might I make a suggestion with respect to the new (potential) feature? I know it will never ever happen, but it would be really nice if it could be implemented in kind of a client-server relationship. Basically I don't care when my cache logs appear online but I do want to get my part over with as quickly as possible.

What I have in mind is if the feature were implemented in such away as to potentially allow a third party to submit the logs for you. I'm thinking ambitious 3rd party coders could accomplish this, provided they were given an appropriate infrastructure to ensure that the server submiting the logs can't modify said logs (maybe some kind of digital signature on them).

Just a thought anyways.

Actually, back on page 1 of this thread, this exact thing was brought up. The answer is.... its in the works. I've thought it would be a great idea, almost since I started caching. Not even just for 'rapid logging' in peak times, but for logging cache raids, or what ever. You log all your finds locally, and then hit 'upload' and they magically (eventually) appear on the site.

Might I make a suggestion with respect to the new (potential) feature? I know it will never ever happen, but it would be really nice if it could be implemented in kind of a client-server relationship. Basically I don't care when my cache logs appear online but I do want to get my part over with as quickly as possible.

What I have in mind is if the feature were implemented in such away as to potentially allow a third party to submit the logs for you. I'm thinking ambitious 3rd party coders could accomplish this, provided they were given an appropriate infrastructure to ensure that the server submiting the logs can't modify said logs (maybe some kind of digital signature on them).

Just a thought anyways.

Clyde at GSAK makes an excellent tool, and if GC would licence this ability to him everyone would win. More functionality could be added to GSAK, GC's servers won't turn into flaming piles of goo, and cachers can "one-stop shop" for all their GC needs.

Clyde at GSAK makes an excellent tool, and if GC would licence this ability to him everyone would win. More functionality could be added to GSAK, GC's servers won't turn into flaming piles of goo, and cachers can "one-stop shop" for all their GC needs.
GSAK doesn't run on Macintosh or Linux computers nor are there any plans to make it do so.

Paul

GSAK doesn't run on Macintosh or Linux computers nor are there any plans to make it do so.

Paul

I believe the plan previously stated here is to make a web service (ye olde XML over HTTP), which would be accessible from any platform (although someone would have to write software to use it for non-Windows OSes).

Edited by caderoux

Paul

That sounds like more of an opportunity for an enterprising programmer than a Groundspeak problem.

I am getting time outs and server errors as I try to log this morning! 8:30 pacific time. Get through once in a while, so I guess I'll just keep (s)logging through. First time I have put it off until Monday and still had trouble. It's going to take a while!

On edit: I guess I will have to try later in the day or week as it is just too frustrating this morning. It's strange as the Home page and my account page come up very quick, but logging is VERY slow. Can't continue as sometimes the log goes through even with the errors and other times it does not. So if I refresh or redo it, sometimes there are duplicates! This is too much! Starting to take longer to log a cache than to find it!!!

Edited by Cheminer Will

I had 6 logs yesterday and only 1 server too busy msg.

Another funny slow issue????? I was on about 1930est 3/26 and a buddy was on line (AOL). I posted my visit to his cache and less than a minute later he sent me an IM regarding my log on his cache. Mabye slow to get to the info in but not slow getting the information out.