Completely Gps Ignorant

Hello, I've been reading this website and am very excited to jump in and try to start geocaching!

However I don't know anything about GPS and even though I've been reading this forum, I'm still very confused.

I found a bunch of threads that made the little yellow Garmin eTrex sound like exactly what I was looking for - inexpensive, not overly complicated, and all you really need for geocaching.

However I then read some threads that recommended other units over the eTrex.

So is the Garmin eTrex suitable for geocaching and do you think it's fairly easy to learn to use?

The little yellow eTrex is a good choice, but I would recommend you step up to the Garmin eTrex Legend because it comes with the computer cable.

Because the new 'x' units are out, the Legend has been deeply- discounted. I read that some people found them at Office Depot for $79.00 or $100.00.

That GSPr can accept maps if you decide to buy them later.

I started with the Garmin Vista and soon upgraded to the Vista C because I saw how useful the auto-routing feature was.

So . . . get what you can afford and what you think will meet your needs for a while so you don't want to upgrade immediately. :lol:

Hello, I've been reading this website and am very excited to jump in and try to start geocaching!

However I don't know anything about GPS and even though I've been reading this forum, I'm still very confused.

So is the Garmin eTrex suitable for geocaching and do you think it's fairly easy to learn to use?

When it comes to equipment, you will get lots of opinions. As in most hobbies or sports, etc, it is usually best to buy the best that you can reasonably afford. You will quickly forget about spending an extra $50 but you won't forget about spending too little and having something that is not up to the job.

I have the Garmin GPSMAP60C. I really like it! I can see the day where I would have preferred more memory, but I can work around that.

I know somebody that just bought the Legend Etrex Cx. He was going to buy the Etrex C but was told it was no longer available. It is a well priced unit and it almost makes me wonder why mine costs more. He is totally satisfied with it. If you buy Etrex Cx you will be satified. If you find a Etrex C on sale, you will likely also be very happy with it, although it doesn't have the expandable memory.

There is no right answer to your question. Etrex is one of Garmin's most popular units so you need not worry about buying one. The 60 series is also very popular. If you are on a budget, shop around for a non-colour version of the GPS of your choice. All non-colour units are on fire sale prices. I've seen the black and while Etrex selling for less than half of the new Etrex Cx. If you are not on a budget, go with colour.

As Miragee said earlier, for the money, the Legend is a much better buy than the plain ol' yellow eTrex. For the additional money you get a PC data cable included (worth $15.00 or more), mapping capability, better screen resolution, an awesome trip computer page, a 5-way joystick for entering data by hand, and more. Buy as much GPSr as you feel comfortable spending. If you can hold out a while longer, save up and buy one of the color models.

Then again, if buying a Legend means giving the landlord a hard-luck story, then a plain ol' yeollow eTrex will get you to the cache just fine.

Edited by Neo_Geo

One thing about being TOTALLY ignorant, is that you will find that even an $80 eTrex will tell you where you are, and where you'v been. You will have tremendous fun with it, and being ignorant - you won't miss all the bells and whistles of the more exspensive models! (It IS truly amazing that we have these fun toys to play with nowadays!)

I had a basic eTrex (actually, it was my son's.) He moved to live with his mother last year, now I am looking for a replacement. I came to this site last week looking for advice, and now I will order a Lowrance Expedition Color model in the morning...

If you spend $100 to $175 for something a tier or two above a basic eTrex, you will be happy - AND have fun learning all the screens! If you can afford it at all, do so. If not, a basic eTrex will do the job.

Well I got a black and white Legend. Now to figure out how to use it. :mad:

Just after buying it we went to eat at a chinese buffet, and after taking awhile to find satellites it said we were in Hong Kong. We aren't, but I thought it was hysterical seeing as we were in a chinese restaurant :D

Thanks for everyone's advice :D

P.S. The cable that came with it, there isn't any place on my computer where I can attach that sort of cable

:mad:

P. P.S. I accidentally put one of the batteries in the wrong direction and had a heck of a time getting it back out. I placed a string under it so that it would be easier to remove next time. And sure enough even after replacing it properly I wasn't able to get it out without using the string.

Edited by JesterQuester

They sell those Serial to USB connectors online and I'm sure someone will provide you with a link. Do a Forum Search and see if you can find the recommendation. You could also check eBay.

That the batteries fit tight is a good thing. :mad: I think the earlier Legends and Vistas had a problem with batteries being loose and shutting off the unit.

What kind of batteries did you get? I hope you got rechargeables. :mad: I bought the 15-minute Energizer recharger with four 2500 batteries at Target for about $25.00. Those batteries work really well