Geocaching In The News

TheGertridgeExplorers

That be's a F.T.F. nobuddy'd wanta log! :lol: Poor lit'l chaps whot find'd sech! 'opes the remains will soon be hidentified an' return'd to rest wiv dignity. Glad the boys resum'd their searrrch fer the cache artf'r the 'citme'nt subsid'd an' the cake bin et--whot a mem'rable birfday that musta bin! Many happier returns on future hunts, I sez!

the Wench, fer Captain No Beard and the Pi Rats

LOL :D ...no children were traumatized in the looking for a cache. It was old bones from the cemetery beside where they were looking. Until we hear otherwise that is what we are assuming. The Herald was correct but the Daily news had the story all wrong (no one was in the cemetery, the bone were located outside the fence etc.).

The boys loved it so much they did another cache and although most wanted to do more their parents took them home. One boy did stay and we did two more caches later that day. I have promised them (they made me!) that we can go back and actually find the original cache.

It was a great birthday and a positive story all around. We love geocaching.

Kathleen

Mom of the birthday boy with a great story to tell his kids someday.

The boys loved it so much they did another cache and although most wanted to do more their parents took them home

Yep, thats kids for you! :P When my brother was a kid he found a dead dog so he and a friend went and buried it. A year later they went and dug it up and salvaged the skull. It sounds gross but I think 10 year old boys are just like that. (that is I hope.....or maybe my brother has issues... :rolleyes: )

The other day we were hunting under the bridge for a cache. We didn't find it but the kids did find the skeleton of a cat. They thought it was great! You just never know what is going to interest kids.

No bodies...just old bones. That's the conclusion of the police...see the blurb in the Herald... http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/491590.html

Human bones likely from graveyard

Some human bones found in Dartmouth on Saturday are quite old and likely came from the centuries-old graveyard near where they were spotted, Halifax Regional Police said Tuesday.

Some children playing an outdoor searching game while at a birthday party near Woodlawn Cemetery found the bones and contacted police, who cordoned off the area as a crime scene and called the medical examiner’s office to investigate.

That investigation revealed that the bones are quite old, police spokesman Const. Jeff Carr said Tuesday.

"We suspect that they’re from the graveyard. It’s not a criminal investigation."

That investigation revealed that the bones are quite old, police spokesman Const. Jeff Carr said Tuesday.

"We suspect that they’re from the graveyard. It’s not a criminal investigation."

But the question remains. How do bones get up and walk out of the graveyard? :D

Edited by haber

Our theory (not corroborated by police or other experts) is it was a graveyard long (the church is over 200 years old!) before the fence was there. Perhaps the fence was put up without including a few graves either because it was surveyed incorrectly or the graves were unmarked and unknown.

The bones were only feet from the fence and in the middle of a bank which has eroded significantly. Given the age of the bones (even the boys could tell they were old) and the location, it would be logical that they came from the graveyard. They probably have always been there but just recently came to the surface.

That's my 2 cents!

I read that article too. Not too surprising. I grew up in N.S. surrounded by dairy farms & as kids we knew where the bone piles were. Mom hated when we would drag home teeth & such. I remember my brother bringing home a leg bone for a science project, and once when we went in the winter a mother & two calves had just been recently dumped. I thought most of the farmers buried those things now, or called someone to haul the carcasses away!

My biggest fear in geocaching is finding a body - at least I would rather find bones than something "fresh"!

-Donna G

Edited by TheGertridgeExplorers

If the graveyard is 200 years old, then it predates the Victorian era. Before then, bodies were buried anywhere there was space. In other words, no neat rows of grave markers. If the grave markers are dated in the very early 19th century or sooner, and they are in neat rows, then it is very likely the stones were all moved at some point and are not actually over the bodies. The boundaries of the grave yard are also likely to change over the course of two centuries. Therefore, the bodies don't actually have to move for this type of event to occur.

Interesting article, but the reporter got it wrong about Geocaching.

TheChronicleHerald.ca

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunt that uses a Global Positioning System to find buried caches.

It just seems everytime they write about Geocaching the reporters always gets something wrong.

WE DO NOT BURY CACHES!!!!!! :D

Latter

Interesting article, but the reporter got it wrong about Geocaching.

TheChronicleHerald.ca

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunt that uses a Global Positioning System to find buried caches.

It just seems everytime they write about Geocaching the reporters always gets something wrong.

WE DO NOT BURY CACHES!!!!!! <_<

Latter

I completely agree with this... perhaps there is someone in the area that could give the reporter a call and have them make a correction. I know it seems like a bit of a minor point but this is how caching gets a bad rep. Some over zealous city councilor reads something like this and goes on a bandwagon to ban caching because they believe we are about to go and dig up their flower garden to place and find a cache.

Edited by Storm Dragon