Strange Space Alien City Found In Usa On Google Local Maps

Some sharp-eyed geo/map hounds noticed a really weird feature in some pics of the Trimble, Missouri area on the Google Local Maps (and satellite pics) service. If you will click on http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.463491,-...28281&t=k&hl=en

and then zoom in to about 3 clicks below the zoom-in + sign, you will see the alien city. I did not post this to the Midwest section of the forums because this raises some questions far larger and broader than any one region and they are:

1) Do the space aliens really have a city just east of Trimble, MO that no one knew about until now?

2) If this bizarre city of blue pipes and purple shapes really does exist, can we place some extreme caches there? Whom will we get permission from -- the space aliens who run this strange city?

By the way, I stumbled upon this weird picture while searching around the "Unexplained" section of www.virtualglobetrotting.com, at http://virtualglobetrotting.com/category/events/unexplained/

Enjoy!

Warning - You will be banned from Geocaching because you have disclosed the secret meeting place of the cache approvers summer frolic in the Lake event.

Actually, it's the Reviewer's "Go jump in the lake" event, and it's in the winter, and in Minnesota.

I'm jealous! You mean to tell me that you reviewers get to vist this multicolored city full of odd and perfectly straight blue streets and pipes, with perfect 90-degree angle bends and turns and strange blue-purple architecture! Gee!

Ok, ok, time for a serious thought to this puzzle.

Could it be just so simple as a copyright protection for the Google Earth company? If anyone were to copy their program, this would somehow be a code?

But, wait a minute....that's it! It is the true "Da Vinci Code"! Eureka! We - Geocachers of the world - have discovered THE CODE - Next the COVENANT OF THE LOST ARK!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shirley~

Actually, the thinking among most folks who have attempted to figure out this bizarre image (and believe me, this is not the only bizarre image to be found on Google Earth and on similar map/photo services; see the link I gave earlier) is that the satellite camera must have taken a picture of freshly-formed ice on the lake, and the reflection/diffraction of sunlight on the freshly-formed ice (not yet covered with snow, slush or dirt), coupled perhaps with the minerals and trace elements found in the water as well as with some unique atmospheric phenomena (i.e., the effects of such on the light from the lake surface), may have produced this surreal image. In any case, it is a lot of fun!

OK, I'll be serious.

First off, if you look at the map it is the Smithville Reservoir. Nothing special about that. If you look at the southern end of the photo, it's normal. The northern end has a lot of brown ground and white lake, indicating that it was probably taken in the winter. The dark area in the middle is probably an area that isn't frozen.

Now, to the strangeness seen in that dark area. The "alien city" looks like some false color electron microscope images of semiconductors.

semiconductor_computerchip_150x225.jpg

I did some manipulation of the image, changing colors and such, and I couldn't get it too look like streets and buildings but it's possible that is what it is.

The unfrozen lake has been set with an image transparancy with this other image underneath it. Maybe someone at Google was playing around. Perhaps the software goofed. In either case, based on the way the image edges are, I am confident that what you see is not actually there.

Actually, the thinking among most folks who have attempted to figure out this bizarre image (and believe me, this is not the only bizarre image to be found on Google Earth and on similar map/photo services; see the link I gave earlier) is that the satellite camera must have taken a picture of freshly-formed ice on the lake, and the reflection/diffraction of sunlight on the freshly-formed ice (not yet covered with snow, slush or dirt), coupled perhaps with the minerals and trace elements found in the water as well as with some unique atmospheric phenomena (i.e., the effects of such on the light from the lake surface), may have produced this surreal image. In any case, it is a lot of fun!

OK, I'll be serious.

First off, if you look at the map it is the Smithville Reservoir. Nothing special about that. If you look at the southern end of the photo, it's normal. The northern end has a lot of brown ground and white lake, indicating that it was probably taken in the winter. The dark area in the middle is probably an area that isn't frozen.

Now, to the strangeness seen in that dark area. The "alien city" looks like some false color electron microscope images of semiconductors.

semiconductor_computerchip_150x225.jpg

I did some manipulation of the image, changing colors and such, and I couldn't get it too look like streets and buildings but it's possible that is what it is.

The unfrozen lake has been set with an image transparancy with this other image underneath it. Maybe someone at Google was playing around. Perhaps the software goofed. In either case, based on the way the image edges are, I am confident that what you see is not actually there.

So you just had to go and ruin all our fun? That's not what geocaching is all about. You should be banned for ruining the fun! :D Just kidding..... I like these ones better!

Looks like someone peeled back the surface layer & has found the inner workings of Earth.

It really is run by Microsoft after all. :D

Ok, ok, time for a serious thought to this puzzle.

Could it be just so simple as a copyright protection for the Google Earth company? If anyone were to copy their program, this would somehow be a code?

But, wait a minute....that's it! It is the true "Da Vinci Code"! Eureka! We - Geocachers of the world - have discovered THE CODE - Next the COVENANT OF THE LOST ARK!

:rolleyes::P:P:P:D:D

Shirley~

EDIT- Wording

Edited by icefall5

Some of the people got it right: It is a lake!

What most didn't specify, however, is you are seeing the lost city of Atlantis at least 100 feet below the surface. This is never visible at ground level, and only visible from the air during certain lighting conditions and when the water is at its clearest.

Here is another weird one, a crosshair-type target mark, from Google Local Maps, found near Leeds, England; see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Un...13,0.002849&t=k.

Wonder if Google Local is starting to mark geocache locations in that manner?

Another one from Google Local shows a black hole, actually a black rectangle, in the middle of Siberia, at http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=66.268501,1...24200&t=k&hl=en

I bet there is a puzzle cache located there, and Google blacked out the map so we cannot see it via the satellite fotos...

I have had a digital camera that had a very weird lens / front window double reflection, and we ended up with a magnified image of a portion of the CCD superimposed on the video image. So - yes - it is definiterly possibe that you are seeing something from inside the camera on the lake.

But:

The one from England is CLEARLY an alien made crop circle!!!! ;)

And here is one more, again from Google Local; this one is located in far eastern Russia, not too far from the western tip of Alaska. The link may be found at:

http://maps.google.com/?t=k&ll=64.965416,1...25,2.416992&t=k

It looks like a massive rip in the fabric of the universe, well, in the fabric of the earth's surface, in this case. I am hoping to place an extreme geocache deep down in one of the crevasses or gaps created by the rip in the fabric, or maybe even behind the rip in the fabric of the universe; that would be neat.

Google hires alien contractors to take the photos for them. Some times due to the low pay on earth they just can't get the best aliens for the job.

The first photo is the alein headquarters for the contractors. This is by the way the same place that the reviewers come from . That is why there is no earthly reason why some caches are denied and others approved.

I do graphics in computers a lot; the original photo looks a lot like the artifacts you get when you compress an image too far or the data is corrupted. It is also in two of the primary colors for CMYK printing; cyan and magenta. Might still be something inside the camera providing the patterns, but I think that's where the color spread comes from.