Max Transflash Size?

kb9nvh

Well, I just ordered a 1gig transflash (mircroSD) card for my 60csx for like 60 bucks from outpost.com. I've only seen people use up to 512 meg cards so now I'm worried that I'll get a card that wont work with my unit.

does anyone know if there is a max size that the 60csx will work with?

Well, I just ordered a 1gig transflash (mircroSD) card for my 60csx for like 60 bucks from outpost.com.

did they have it in stock?

I can't seem to find anybody that has them in stock.

I've only seen people use up to 512 meg cards so now I'm worried that I'll get a card that wont work with my unit.

I asked Garmin this question and their response was that they have only tested it with 512MB. They know of customers that are using the 1GB card, but Garmin hasn't tested it so they won't say anything beyond that. The tech rep I was dealing with said that the drivers don't have a limiting factor that has been published, so he didn't know.

-bob

Well, I just ordered a 1gig transflash (mircroSD) card for my 60csx for like 60 bucks from outpost.com. I've only seen people use up to 512 meg cards so now I'm worried that I'll get a card that wont work with my unit.

Garmin told me yesterday they see no reason why the 1 or 2 Gig would not work, they said no update is required to use these capacities....

Garmin told me yesterday they see no reason why the 1 or 2 Gig would not work, they said no update is required to use these capacities....

Yes, but note that if you're using it with the Garmin USTopo maps you'll run into the limit on number of regions (2000 and some) before you run out of space on a 1GB card.

Yes, but note that if you're using it with the Garmin USTopo maps you'll run into the limit on number of regions (2000 and some) before you run out of space on a 1GB card.

But then that's okay too, because you're gonna wanna have some room left over for custom POIs and tracklog files!

Apparently there IS a limitation of maximum capacity in MapSource. As Lignumaqua learned the hard way, he was only able to send 256MB directly to his unit. If he tried to send any more than that, MapSource would just hang while erasing the old map set. CLICK HERE to read thread...

I was able to send 400MB to my 512MB card. I suspect that I was able to do that because I have the latest MapSource update (6.10.2 as of March 17, 2006) installed.

======

Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards when the card is in the unit and data is transferred to the unit (via USB or serial). The 512 MB Garmin data cards are not currently compatible with the USB data card programmer.

Lignumaqua got around the issue by loading the maps via a USB card reader/writer which apparently also cut's the map upload time by 80%!

Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards when the card is in the unit and data is transferred to the unit (via USB or serial). The 512 MB Garmin data cards are not currently compatible with the USB data card programmer.

This was a separate issue with MapSource that has nothing to do with the microSD cards. The change refers to the proprietary Garmin Data Cards used in the older Street Pilots and models like the 276. Garmin came out with a larger 512 MB version of these but there were some compatibility issues with MapSource that were addressed with this release.

As to the microSD card sizes, I've heard a few isolated cases of people, like Lignumaqua, who had problems, but others aren't seeing such issues.

Edited by peter

The change refers to the proprietary Garmin Data Cards used in the older Street Pilots and models like the 276.

That's exactly what I thought at first, but when Lignumaqua mentioned he had a 256MB limit with his TransFlash, then I thought it must be 256MB limit for all cards... :D