Where Are You From?

Adventure.AS

I love to read through the forums and learn about this hobby. Sometimes there appears to be regional differences in the usual size of cache, hiding techniques, containers etc. These differences are not that easy to deduce, as it seems that most posters have not included their location in their profiles. Even including your State or Province would make it more interesting to read your post as it would put it into a cultural or geographic framework.

Is there some reason that so many of you do not include this information?

edit: spelling

Edited by Maxima

Maxima,

Some people are more sociable or self-disclosing, others value their privacy more.

Even if someone doesn't list a location, you can get a good idea of where they live by looking at their hides and finds ("geocaches" tab in their profile). For example, all of your hides and most of your finds are in Ontario. A closer look at your hides and finds narrows it down to the Toronto area.

People generally cache close to where they live. So if you're curious, just click on the Geocaches tab in the person's profile and look at where the majority of their hides and finds are (hides tend to be closer to home because of the need for maintenance, but not everyone has hides, and some hide far from home with a local person doing the maintenance). It's still enough to give you the "sense" of regional differences you're looking for.

Maxima,

The deeper you look, the more things like this you will see in geocachers. Lazyness, arrogance, lack of thought, privacy. As you can see in the above posts, even with your question, the response is a non-response.

I would take the ideas of Kai Team and reask the question:

With it being so easy to deduce the general location of a cacher, WHY DON'T they tell us where they live? This is a very legitimate question. One has to wonder, now that you've posed this, why these people are hesitant.

There are a lot of aspects of caching, and life in general, that would best be appreciated with a general openness. I try to ask cachers about themselves, their caches, and their actions, only to get negative responses from most as well as F.Y. Very Much Mail from local cachers demanding that I stop!

I think that if we were all open and open to suggestion, this world would be a better place. I wish more of the world would share this attitude.

LifeOnEdge!

Waco, Texas

I just put South Central Kentucky, because that's where I am, and the area I cover. My local cachers know what town I'm in, and that's good enough. If you do enough digging you can figure out my hometown probably, but I don't just want to hand it out.

It's mostly for privacy, I don't give out my full name, address (city included), home coordinates, or phone number. I've done work in a legal case where I had to find people using the internet. I found people thier own familiy members coulden't find, all using public internet listings and partial names, addresses, and phone numbers.

Foothills, yes, however that is an obvious bit of information, and with the ability to see where everyone caches and draw a conclusion about not only where one resides, but where one spends a lot of their time, the inclusion of a city,state on their profile is not only redundant, but less general information. As Maxima points out, people are leaving out a very useful bit of information about themselves, all for a useless cause. If you don't want us to know where you live, work, camp, or drink, don't give us the coordinates, name, street location. The statement of the city and state one resides gives anyone the most obtuse information about where that person is. How many of those not wanting to even give the state they reside will easily give someone they don't know their home phone number and thus giving them Exactly where they live and a way of verifying that someone is there.

Pat

Waco, Texas

Maxima,

The deeper you look, the more things like this you will see in geocachers. Lazyness, arrogance, lack of thought, privacy. As you can see in the above posts, even with your question, the response is a non-response.

I would take the ideas of Kai Team and reask the question:

With it being so easy to deduce the general location of a cacher, WHY DON'T they tell us where they live? This is a very legitimate question. One has to wonder, now that you've posed this, why these people are hesitant.

There are a lot of aspects of caching, and life in general, that would best be appreciated with a general openness. I try to ask cachers about themselves, their caches, and their actions, only to get negative responses from most as well as F.Y. Very Much Mail from local cachers demanding that I stop!

I think that if we were all open and open to suggestion, this world would be a better place. I wish more of the world would share this attitude.

LifeOnEdge!

Waco, Texas

Your profile says "Geocaching is supposed to be fun" I'll bet that when a lot of people hear from you it's less fun for them. Personally if someone says that I know they are more anal than I am and trouble is about to happen. Every now and then I'm pleasantly suprised when someone follows up those words and has fun. I like those people.

Back to the OP.

If you are interested enough in who and what I am, then you will take the time to ask questions and by paying attention to the answers you will learn all you need to know. If you follow my logs every now and then I post something more than TFTC. That too is a clue as to the kind of things you want to know. But it's work on your part. That's what I want it to be.

Good God. Maxima makes the point that he(or she) likes to read the forums and dig out regional information. They point out that quite often persons neglect to state, either there or in their gc.com profiles, where they are from. It is not terribly time consuming to read through a few topics in the forums. It would be laborious to research everyones hides and find logs to get a hint as to where they are from.

The point being: If people would open up and state their location, we could learn more than we do AND not take up boatloads of time!

Renegade, your comments drive my points home! You should contact gc.com and see if your final location could be used as a virtual cache (since you would most certainly not be there once we figured it out.)

Besides, being in Idaho it matters Not where you are from! LMAO

Pat

As Foothills Drifter mentioned, some, like myself, are very cautious of the information placed on the internet. If you are curious as to where I live, e-mail me through the froums, and I'll tell you. As you can see, I also dont want my e-mail address on the internet, but I do include it with all that I talk with in private.

I have no problem with you knowing where I'm from, and my e-mail address, I have a problem with

THE WHOLE WORLD knowing that information. Spammers use Bot programs to surf the net and find that info, and once they got you, all heck breaks loose on your e-mail.

Weeeeeellllllllllllllll, I posted where I live, have lived and where I Geocache. I did not post my email addy as it is set to exclusive, you need to be in my addressbook to get email to me. You can however contact me through the Geocaching site. Oh yes, I use my name and not a handle but take a lot of ribbing about that, considering changing it to my HAM Radio call sign as I use that in pretty well all my logs, it is VO2WW

Let me see if I can reword this, so ALL can understand. Maybe I just haven't expressed myself well. Here is an example:

Lets say that I tell the world that I live in Waco Texas, but the one guy (who was asleep at the time) comes and asks me what State I live in. Not wanting trouble, I won't tell him.

Let say that I go to Mexico with 9 of my buddies from work. We all have on "Nebraska State Police" t-shirts. An interested person at the hotel we are about to check in to asks us if we are from the United States. Being paranoid, we don't tell them.

Does anyone need a THIRD example???

Okay. Easy enough...

Let say 200,000 geocachers all post hide logs as well as find longs on geocaching.com. Each cache that we visit tells the world not only the EXACT COORDINATE of that cache, but includes a map that clearly shows the nearest City, County, and State, or similar information of other areas, BUT 20 percent of the people are paranoid because this is "On The Net" and refuse to indicate in their profile where they live...

Does this make ANY sense???

(No wonder George W Bush was president for two terms)

Gordon, I am with the FBI, the DOD, the USDA, The AFLCIO, the PTA, and I support and the ASPCA.

We have been looking for you for the last 3 years. Please STAY PUT. I have agents coming to pick you up as we speak.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

You're whistling in the wind. I've been asking for that info for yeasr in the post, never mind the profile, to make it easy to make sense out of some responses. For example, when someone says he can't understand why eveyone makes a big deal with ticks, and you can see he lives in AZ rather than NY, his reponse means one thing rather than another. Besides freiendliness, it just makes posts easier to understand knowing where the poster is from.

Ok Alan2,

I see where you are coming from, I get it, and it makes sence. With doing some research someone could easily figure out a pretty generalized idea of where I'm from, not a problem, note the update for me.

That's the spirit! Just realized my own is in this box and not on the left. Now I'kll have to go back and change my profile!

Alan, go to your geocaching.com profile and specify your location. You will need to open the "edit your profile" form, type in your password, scroll down to the second place that it asks you your location (near the Forum Title area) and type in your location. I believe that is where the forums get the information from. Try it and see. I just edited mine, changing TX to Texas, but I don't think these servers get that information for a day or so. I'll be watching. I hope this helps.

Pat

Edited by LifeOnEdge!
You're whistling in the wind. I've been asking for that info for yeasr in the post, never mind the profile, to make it easy to make sense out of some responses. For example, when someone says he can't understand why eveyone makes a big deal with ticks, and you can see he lives in AZ rather than NY, his reponse means one thing rather than another. Besides freiendliness, it just makes posts easier to understand knowing where the poster is from.

Still waiting for your update!

Let me see if I can reword this, so ALL can understand. Maybe I just haven't expressed myself well. Here is an example:

Lets say that I tell the world that I live in Waco Texas, but the one guy (who was asleep at the time) comes and asks me what State I live in. Not wanting trouble, I won't tell him.

Let say that I go to Mexico with 9 of my buddies from work. We all have on "Nebraska State Police" t-shirts. An interested person at the hotel we are about to check in to asks us if we are from the United States. Being paranoid, we don't tell them.

Does anyone need a THIRD example???

Okay. Easy enough...

Let say 200,000 geocachers all post hide logs as well as find longs on geocaching.com. Each cache that we visit tells the world not only the EXACT COORDINATE of that cache, but includes a map that clearly shows the nearest City, County, and State, or similar information of other areas, BUT 20 percent of the people are paranoid because this is "On The Net" and refuse to indicate in their profile where they live...

Does this make ANY sense???

(No wonder George W Bush was president for two terms)

Enough of the patronizing posts. Please re-read forum guidelines, paying closer attention to the sections that mention "respect".

As Foothills Drifter mentioned, some, like myself, are very cautious of the information placed on the internet. If you are curious as to where I live, e-mail me through the froums, and I'll tell you. As you can see, I also dont want my e-mail address on the internet, but I do include it with all that I talk with in private.

I have no problem with you knowing where I'm from, and my e-mail address, I have a problem with

THE WHOLE WORLD knowing that information..

Well put. There are lots of legitimate reasons for keeping information private. Sometimes it is a safety issue. There are professions in which people can be legitimately at risk simply because they do them and the less they open up the less likely they will open themselves to risk. Some examples are the criminal justice system (criminals don't like those who help put them away), security services, undercover police, re-possesors etc.

Sometimes people aren't being unfriendly, just careful.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Good God. Maxima makes the point that he(or she) likes to read the forums and dig out regional information. They point out that quite often persons neglect to state, either there or in their gc.com profiles, where they are from. It is not terribly time consuming to read through a few topics in the forums. It would be laborious to research everyones hides and find logs to get a hint as to where they are from.

The point being: If people would open up and state their location, we could learn more than we do AND not take up boatloads of time!

Renegade, your comments drive my points home! You should contact gc.com and see if your final location could be used as a virtual cache (since you would most certainly not be there once we figured it out.)

Besides, being in Idaho it matters Not where you are from! LMAO

Pat

Pat:

Thanks for the archive note on my cache. I took the liberty of deleting it since you failed to contact me about the cache. Emailing someone first is a common courtesy. But failing that there are always people like you to provide cheap entertainment.

I'd congradulation you on figuring out I'm from Idaho except it's something I've said perhaps 2000 times in these forums. Sherlock Holmes would be proud of you.

You have lived up to my expectations, and better still you have lived up to your own.

I love to read through the forums and learn about this hobby. Sometimes there appears to be regional differences in the usual size of cache, hiding techniques, containers etc. These differences are not that easy to deduce, as it seems that most posters have not included their location in their profiles. Even including your State or Province would make it more interesting to read your post as it would put it into a cultural or geographic framework.

The web can be a pretty scarry place, you are more than likely on it one way or another, if you dig deep enough with the right shovel you can find more than just gold..

I did play a little game with my profile once. I don't think it worked, I guess the joke was too old or nobody cared. I list where I am from - Boone County WV - I go caching with Jesco White.

Because I'm hidding from the FBI, if anyone asks you didn't see me :lol:

Seriously, why do you need to know? If you want to know more exactly then state, either track me to an even and ask, or just plot out some of the cache I've been to and look for a pattern.

Because I'm hidding from the FBI, if anyone asks you didn't see me :lol:

Seriously, why do you need to know? If you want to know more exactly then state, either track me to an even and ask, or just plot out some of the cache I've been to and look for a pattern.

Thank you for your question. I certainly don't need to know anything specific about you, nor does anyone else on this forum. Things like a fellow cacher's gender, occupation, age etc. don't create curiosity in me. Personally, I like to picture in my mind the climate, culture, geography and geology where you hail from, as it broadens my mind. As geocaching is such a global experience, with participants from every corner of the world, I appreciate that you (and many others) have indicated the general area where you cache as it provides a context for the way that others play this game.

When I log a find, after I struggled through the snow to find a cache, it is enlightening to read this forum and imagine what it must be like today where you live. (At least we don't have too many rattlesnakes or scorpions around here.)

As has been pointed out in other posts in this thread, it is fairly easy to deduce where a cacher resides by looking at their early finds or hides. Thus, it still suprises me that most posters, here, want to hide behind a mistaken, percieved veil of anonymity. Why? If someone wants to know, it is only a couple of clicks away.

It is ironic that in the sport of geo-caching we can too often become geo-centric. Instead of broading our horizons and sharing part of who we are with our global neighbours, there is some 'hidden' comfort in trying to maintain an illusion that you are invisible behind a screen name.

Perhaps it is the nature of this sport - the secretiveness, camouflage and hiding of caches that translates into a reluctance to proudly proclaim the part of this wide world where a cacher calls home.

OK> How do you add the "From" box on the left? I can't find it in the profiles! :lol:

I've always had my location in my profile, but it never showed up in the forum until today. I figured out that you have to enter the forum from the link on geocaching.com. That's something I never do. I always use my bookmark to go straight to the forum. Once you enter from geocaching.com, the location info is updated in the forum. Similar thing happened when I went premium. I didn't see the premium Off-Topic forum or the then-premium Waymarking forum until I had entered via the link on geocaching.com.