Cars And Caching

Much easier to drive than what I learnt on...

http://www.militaryvehicles.com/vehicle_150.shtml

I learnt to drive in this before I had a car licence, a bit scary to think I was allowed to drive 55 tons of sheer metal on the public road, but I wasn't allowed to drive a car.

Luckily the law has changed since I passed my H licence and you must have a B licence before driving on your H.

Much easier to drive than what I learnt on...

http://www.militaryvehicles.com/vehicle_150.shtml

I learnt to drive in this before I had a car licence, a bit scary to think I was allowed to drive 55 tons of sheer metal on the public road, but I wasn't allowed to drive a car.

Luckily the law has changed since I passed my H licence and you must have a B licence before driving on your H.

Oh Boy! just checked my licence...bring them on! I just can't wait!

Vivien

Roving Rangies

You need a commander (friend poking their head out the top) to watch out for you whilst driving a Saxon. The windows are extremely narrow, and you cannot see any traffic down to the side. If you need a volunteer I am willing to come along, used the Saxon many times, and just like Bear Claws thanks to the military I can drive your BV for you and the 432.

Did you know that a 432 doesn't have a footbrake, you brake using the steering tillers. I forgot this the first time I drove one, and crashed it into the hangar door. ;):tired:

I may be wrong (it has been known :huh: ) but I thought that tracked vehicles weren't allowed on the roads at all? regardless of your driving licence...

I may be wrong (it has been known ;) ) but I thought that tracked vehicles weren't allowed on the roads at all? regardless of your driving licence...

The Lifeguards were seen whizzing about on the roads in a tracked tank (dunno what type) in the recent BBC1 documentary, so doubt it's illegal. Not for the army, anyway

Soon as the summer comes around (if it ever does) and I replace my rangie I would certainly be interested in a green lane/cache combo trip - give me a chance to dig the tent out and try out my replacement when I finally afford it.

I already have a couple of lanes in Surrey in mind for placing a couple of caches, and yes they are totally legal BOATs that can be driven in even a japanese 4x4 (heck even got my old Hyundai saloon most of the way down the worst of them)

Will watch with interest for the network of caches for 4x4s - it'll give me an excuse to do two of my hobbies in one go !!! Already have the Wiltshire Greenlanes caches set up as a PQ and will (hopefully) get round them soon.

Maybe we could have a green laning / caching event one day ?

I may be wrong (it has been known ;) ) but I thought that tracked vehicles weren't allowed on the roads at all? regardless of your driving licence...

The Lifeguards were seen whizzing about on the roads in a tracked tank (dunno what type) in the recent BBC1 documentary, so doubt it's illegal. Not for the army, anyway

It certainly isn't illegal for the Army, don't know about civilians. The military don't travel extremely long distances on the roads with them. They have tank transporters for that.

It certainly isn't illegal for the Army, don't know about civilians. The military don't travel extremely long distances on the roads with them. They have tank transporters for that.

It all depends on what type of tracks is on it...

the hard rubber/plastic ones are okay and I remember watching a program on TV a few month back, it was about a chap who collected tanks etc, I think the metal tracks were on privet ground only.

It all depends on what type of tracks is on it...

the hard rubber/plastic ones are okay and I remember watching a program on TV a few month back, it was about a chap who collected tanks etc, I think the metal tracks were on privet ground only.

The military must ensure that the track pads are all serviceable, as if the metal touchs the road it just digs it up.

Here is a picture of a Challenger II Main Battle Tank driving along Princes's Street in Edinburgh's City centre.

scotsdgedin.jpg

Someone said transporters? Most go down ou high sreet on trailers, but they also come on the road too! Not sure from where though, as we have no army barracks near us.

I'm not really a great fan of tanks now! When you are car to tank with only about 3 feet distance from the end of the gun barrel, it is bl88dy big, especially when you have seen it firing a few minute before hand!

The worse bit is informing them that the tank has to move, backwards at that, to let you down the lane they have just came up!

Gary perfered going up in the army helicopter over Salisbury plain on illegal use of byway or not in most cases excerise instead. The only thing was he wanted to push the fire button all the time.