Paid For Coins, But Never Got Them?

Scaramanga

In November I paid for 5 Long Island Geocoins. A few weeks after the first coins were sold on ebay in January, I send emails to the vendor to ask about the missing coins. JMB does not seem to be very interested in clearing the situation, he does not respond to emails.

During the last months I ordered a lot of geocoins. International shipment seems to work very reliable. The Long Island are the first coins that I did not receive, so after all, I am still lucky.

How many coins have you lost? What are your experiences?

Scaramanga

:mad: Check the Wyoming coin thread. :mad:

I have done a lot of buying and a lot of trading, and it truly is a rare thing that someone intentionally rips you off in these forums. Not that I'm saying it doesn't happen, I do consider myself very lucky. In my experiences, any coins that haven't made it or have been delayed, have been taken care of or adressed in one way or another. I have only had 1 case where a trade went south and I didn't receive my coin, and the person just refused to e-mail me, after repeated attempts over several weeks, through both Groundspeak profile and personal e-mail. I just wrote it off. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. :)

Edited by 57chevy

I'm still waiting for my Grand Canyon coins (and I was ordering for myself and 2 others :mad: ). They shipped almost 2 months ago and have been on e* forever, but still nothing. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller if he can find anything on his end about it.

This is true, be fair about it, we have been communicating and I will do what it takes to make this right.

I have been pretty lucky with trades and purchases. I have only not recieved one of each.

The trade was well over 6 months ago. The coin was apparently sent..waited a month or so...nope no coin. Sent an email..apparently sent another one out....nope no coin. Sent another email, was told that they thought for sure they sent the coin...apparently another coin sent....you geussed it...no coin. At this point I cut my losses, I didnt get the coin but now I know not to trade with this person.

The purchase was at least 4 months ago (longer I think). Paid for a couple of coins...waited a while...no coins. Sent an email, got a response offering 2 "upgrades"...waited....no coins. At this point I again cut my losses, not worth the headache. But as will the trade, I now will not purchase from this maker again.

But on the positive side, I didnt recieve my Colorado coins. I contacted Mr.COgeo at the time. It took a bit but he did get me the coins I had paid for. Big kudos to him.

I have seen both side of the missing coin saga, wish it they all turned out like the CO coins,

My two Illinois coins went missing after shipping from coinstore. Contacted them and they in turn contacted the IL people on my behalf. Replacement coins were sent propmptly and received without problem. Thanks to Rusty at Coinstore and the IL person who handled this!!!

Now Wyoming... ah I'll just shut up, I'm tired of wasting my breath on this one....

In November I paid for 5 Long Island Geocoins. A few weeks after the first coins were sold on ebay in January, I send emails to the vendor to ask about the missing coins. JMB does not seem to be very interested in clearing the situation, he does not respond to emails.

During the last months I ordered a lot of geocoins. International shipment seems to work very reliable. The Long Island are the first coins that I did not receive, so after all, I am still lucky.

Scaramanga

What email address did you sent it to? Anyone who has emailed me or PMed me has gotten a response. Out of the nearly 2000 coins that we sold and shipped a few did get lost. I've done my best to work with each of those purchasers. I did hear from someone this weekend that said they just received their coins after they were shipped well over a month ago. Some overseas orders are just taking that long to ship.

Try PMing me here and include your paypal address. It's possible your emails ended up in a spam folder.

I'm still waiting for my Grand Canyon coins (and I was ordering for myself and 2 others :D ). They shipped almost 2 months ago and have been on e* forever, but still nothing. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller if he can find anything on his end about it.

This is true, be fair about it, we have been communicating and I will do what it takes to make this right.

Yes, he has contacted me again since I made this post and is working to resolve the situation (which I really appreciate). Sorry if my original post gave a bad impression.

I bought coins from someone in TN, they received the money and cashed the check. They told me they sent the coins, I waited. After a month I sent an email about the coins, they told me that they sent them but would send replacements. I contacted them again three or four more times still nothing. It has now been over six months and I never received the coins and they refuse to contact me at all. However, they haven't given up caching and spend a lot of time in the forums and going to TN events.

The Wyoming coins are a prime example of not paying until the coins are in hand. I was billed three times for the same coins I paid for. Each time it was a mistake. Well I can forgive almost everything but waiting over four months and being fed crap is unforgiveable.

Try PMing me here and include your paypal address. It's possible your emails ended up in a spam folder.

Just got an answer from JMB, he offered to send replacement for half of the coins price. I think that's fair, we both carry half of the loss. Thanks Joe!

No problem Michael. Glad we worked it out.

Scaramanga

What email address did you sent it to? Anyone who has emailed me or PMed me has gotten a response. Out of the nearly 2000 coins that we sold and shipped a few did get lost. I've done my best to work with each of those purchasers. I did hear from someone this weekend that said they just received their coins after they were shipped well over a month ago. Some overseas orders are just taking that long to ship.

I was gonna say, WOW b/c from all indication JMBella is a straightup cacher was very forth coming with information on his coins...

Scaramanga

I support JM here. I didn't receive 2 of my original LIGO order, and they replaced them immediately. Thanks again!

Before recently learning that I ordered WY coins when I thought I hadn't, I've only ran into 2 problems. Once coins got lost in the mail and simply never showed up, the other the coin broke out of the package and I got an empty envelope. In both instances the trader/seller kindly and promptly sent replacements, which I thought was quite nice, especially for the one that got lost in the mail, since in the end I figure it was not the fault of the trader there. It was just one of those things that can happen and is not the fault of either party to the trade. I also had a coin I sent once take something like 2 weeks to get to a destination 2 states away. Right when I was about to pull my keeper version from my collection and send that to the person who had not received it, they wrote that the coin finally showed up. Whew!

It did get me worried whenever I send coins though and I think that I will start insuring any particularly rare ones that I send since then I would be better able to buy a replacment if needed or have some compensation if I had to send back the coin I got in trade because a replacement could not be found. Insurance for up to $50 is only $1.35.

I purchased some coins in early January that I have not received. Manhattan Urban Cachers Set (2), Manhattan Urban Cachers Flying Pigeon (2), Oklahoma Route 66 (2). Early Febuary I purchased Indiana Micro (2) without any updates. I guess the makers are getting the interest on my money. I no longer buy coins unless there is a set minting date or shipping date in the description.

I just thought of another postal system thing. I recently had a coin I ordered not show up for some time after I saw it on Ebay and in trade offers. When I finally got around to writing from my work to ask about it, go figure that it showed up in my mail box that same day when I got home! It turned out that I had put mail on hold while traveling that didn't get delivered at the end of the hold (which was set to be delivered at the end date). So I got a bundle of mail with a note stating that there had been an error and here was my mail. I was glad to see the coins, but not amused by the couple of overdue bills that also were in that bundle! I guess I am quicker to miss coins than bills.... :rolleyes:

Having been on all three sides of this issue (coin maker, coin trader, coin collector) I can say I've seen it from all three sides. I've replaced trades gone missing, we (Those Coin Guys) have replaced lost shipments and now I've had shipments replaced to me. This past week, I had a partial shipment arrive from CH Quality Coins, which he promptly replaced. The funny thing is, the rest of the coins showed up the day I expected the replacements and I assumed those were them. Then the next day the replacements showed up, which I promptly returned to him. Kudos to Tom for that! :rolleyes:

At the same time, I had a shipment from the GeoCoinStore go missing. I also contacted them, received a prompt reply, we gave it a little extra time and they promptly replaced the shipment. The original one hasn't showed up yet, unfortunately. Kudos to Mike and the gang there! :blink:

After reading the various posts here and other places I've realized a couple things. Stuff does get lost in the mail, unfortunately. There are good traders and coin makers and customer service hasn't died (yet). Geocachers and GeocoinCollectors are still some of the best folks I know and I'm thankful for that.

Sometimes I feel that a lot of the posts on the various boards are negative or negative based, so I wanted to make sure I posted a positive one here about folks that have done it right. My thanks to both of them :ph34r:

Steve/Thorny1

Until recently when someone told me "it must have gotten lost in the mail", I was'nt much of a believer. That changed about 2 weeks after I shipped my coins all over the world.

Out of 400+ mailings, 4 of them never arrived in the US and 1 went missing in Germany (which showed up a week after I resent). If that average of 1% holds true, given the many thousands of geocoins being shipped in the past 5 months, there are hundreds of missing coins.

With very few exceptions, all those missing coins were prompty replaced by the sender with no questions asked. I'd say thats a pretty decent record.

It never happened to me before today, the package arrive torn and empty in a plastic bag with an apology on the bag and a letter with the option "Was part of a mail article found without contents in our processing stream" checked off on a long list of options on the page. :).

I must admit that the letter and apology offers little comfort. I had previously received a torn package last week but the content was still in it. Le me just say it is no fun getting a package like that.

With very few exceptions, all those missing coins were prompty replaced by the sender with no questions asked. I'd say thats a pretty decent record.

Yup, southbayday has been great about my Grand Canyon coins that went missing in the mail and shipped replacements. If the loss rate is 1%, hopefully that means I'm safe from post office mishaps for the next 99 orders. :huh: