Happy St. Patrick's Day!

First and foremost...

Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!

(Happy St. Patrick's Day!)

But do not fear, this is not an off-topic "happy holiday" thread. I'm writing to the Waymarking community as the manager of the Irish-American Historic Places Waymarking category. B) Presently, this category ranks in the Top 40% for popularity, but it's a bit lacking in content, as only thirteen waymarks have been entered. But I will say this: they are interesting places, and as I reviewed each of them for publication, I found myself thinking "gee, I'd like to see that sometime." This category is shaping up as a collection of distinct virtual cache targets -- no two waymarks will be exactly the same. All they need to share in common is a connection to Irish-American History.

I'm writing to ask the following questions:

1. Would you like to help me manage this category? If so, post here or send me an e-mail. I will be biased in favor of people who are of Irish descent or who otherwise demonstrate an interest in Irish heritage through other hobbies (music, art, dancing, etc.). So, please state your qualifications, and why you are interested!

2. What can be done to generate more interest in this category?

3. Is anyone from Ireland reading here, who would be interested in setting up a similar category for historic places *within* the Emerald Isle? It seems to me that the management groups for the two categories would enjoy working together and perhaps sharing a forum under the new forum software. How can Irish-American waymarkers bridge the miles between us to develop an international connection with Irish waymarkers?

And, of course... if you know of an interesting Irish-American historic spot near you, please submit a waymark to my category! Thanks!

shamrock.gif