Idea For New Watchlist

Grayth

Hi as a new geocacher my friend and I our having alot of fun with this...

It would be nice to see as a feature besides being able to watch caches but also to watch other users..

The last thing I want is for him to surpass me in finds...lol. I just think ti would be a fun feature that can add some competiveness to friends who cache locally, or for those who are always on a race to get the first find especially if the one they compete against is only a cache or 2 ahead...

Just a thought

Hey there, and welcome to the fun.

Watching other players would be a lot of fun for me too. However, a large number of people that play in the forums veiw "compete" as a dirty word and will be more than happy to blast you for using it.

Be prepared to have other people point out to you that you're playing the game wrong, and that if you play it their way you'll have more fun like they do.

My advice is, grow thick skin, and play the game the way that is fun for you.

And don't be too surprised if "your" idea (which has been asked lots and lots of times before) never gets added as a feature.

Enjoy!

Jeremy commented on this some time ago. As I recall, he stated that at some point there could be an option for people to watch other cachers, with the watched cacher's permission. Until then, you can always create a shortcut on your desktop to your friend's profile page. This will let you check on his progress anytime you want.

Edited by sbell111

Jeremy commented on this some time ago. As I recall, he stated that at some point there could be an option for people to watch other cachers, with the watched cacher's permission. Until then, you can always create a shortcut on your desktop to your friend's profile page. This will let you check on his progress anytime you want.

That's a great idea thanks

The only thing with that is that you still won't see your friend's DNF's or notes. I would guess that it won't happen because too many will find it either "hypercompetitive" or "spying". If your friend doesn't go out of town for caching I guess you could watch all caches within whatever you think is a reasonable radius (25 mi, 50 mi, etc.) and then you'll be email when your friend posts anything to them (of course you'll also be emailed when ANYONE posts to them, so especially on nice-weather weekends expect a lot of email :lol: )

Look, some of us were born with a bit of a competitive spirit, end of story. I don't see anything wrong with a little friendly competition in geocaching- it is a game after all. If we are players, we must be playing against someone, right?

A side note- I once knew someone on a competitive swimming team, and anytime she got beat by a teammate in practice, she would say, "I race against the clock, not you!". This leads me to say, "Oh, come on already".

I'm not saying I am ultra-competitive, and most of the time I am playing this game against myself, but aren't we all inspired to go out caching when we see those find counts in the thousands (a la Moun10Bike, Half-Canadian and Scooter the wonder dog, to name a couple in my area)? The same is true for me when it comes to acquaintances, or family. I simply go to the "Hide & Seek A Cache" page, use the "Or, Caches found by username:" box and enter my friend's username. Chances are if you know someone well enough to know they are a Geocacher and you know their usename, it's probably going to be OK with them if you research their finds. If you aren't sure, ASK THEM- we're not stalkers here!

That said, there is only one person whose finds I have checked on periodically, just to see how my find count stacked up. This has been a years-long thing, and I haven't even come close yet. Nor have I really tried that hard. It has been a simply tool for me to gauge my progress, and to see if they were still getting out there.

Ok, my two cents has turned into four.

I think this feature would be great. I do not see this as a competition feature, I want this feature to see when my friends (some of which I do not talk with often because of distance) have found and enjoyed a cache. I would be inclined to give them a call and strike up a conversation about their find and to hear their stories.

Additionally, if I see my friends have found a cache and had positive things to say, I would be sure to mark that cache as one I want to visit soon.

My two cents... hopefully we will see this feature soon!

There are a lot of reasons for this. Sometimes, when I see a cache someone has logged - I want to see what other caches they hit in that area that day. Their finds will only show finds, but their notes and DNFs don't show up.

We've always got GSAK...

I don't see a problem with this feature, with or without user permission.

If someone really wanted to get logs from other users the easy way would to have the logs e-mailed via the watchlist. The hard way which achieves the same effect would be to search caches found by username, then go to the cache page and see their find logs.

The only thing the hard way does not achieve is the ability to quickly find DNF logs or Notes which would be nice.

The only thing with that is that you still won't see your friend's DNF's or notes. I would guess that it won't happen because too many will find it either "hypercompetitive" or "spying". If your friend doesn't go out of town for caching I guess you could watch all caches within whatever you think is a reasonable radius (25 mi, 50 mi, etc.) and then you'll be email when your friend posts anything to them (of course you'll also be emailed when ANYONE posts to them, so especially on nice-weather weekends expect a lot of email ;) )

Again, I'm pretty sure that Jeremy stated that he was working on a way to 'watch' your freinds with their permission. (I'm assuming that this is not some drug-induced false memory.) When this is implemented, it will allow you to do the very thing you are asking for.

I would not be in favor of implementation of this 'feature' without consent of the person being watched. Why would anyone want to watch someone who wouldn't consent to it? (Any stalkers out there need not answer this question. :tired: )

Edited by sbell111

A recent new feature added to the Waymarking site is 'Groups'. On the Waymarking site, Groups are used to allow multiple people to assist in the management of individual Waymark categories.

At its core, the idea of a Group is to form a cooperative association of individual accounts. This sounds like the perfect foundation for a buddy system to me - perhaps we're seeing the initial structure of what will become the buddy system for Geocaching accounts.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part.