Caching In Europe

rk219

Hello folks. I'm currently living somewhere in the wonderful country of Germany. There are some very wonderful spots to go caching here, the folk really care about their offroad walking trails here. However there is one problem, barely any of the caching sites I can find on the Geocaching site in my vicinity have english versions. Sure I can translate into english but they are often quite poor translations. And many of the sites require you to do some math or something extra in order to find the cache. So with the bad translation you can't be sure that you are doing the right thing.

So, my question follows. Is there a website out there that has european caches listed on it in English? Or does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks.

When I was there last summer (to attend my cousin's wedding), before I left the states I sent emails to the owners of soem of the caches I thought I would be able to try for. Almost all responded in English better than what google could translate to. all of the owners were willing to help.

As a last resort, I had my mother (who is native German but has beenin the State for over 40 years) translate. You might be able to find someone who is willing to translate for you, whereever you are staying.

When I was there last summer (to attend my cousin's wedding), before I left the states I sent emails to the owners of soem of the caches I thought I would be able to try for. Almost all responded in English better than what google could translate to. all of the owners were willing to help.

I've had a similar experience. Both my German and French are shaky at best. My reading comprehension of both languages is about equal to that of a 1st grader. If your unsure of your translation, send a note to the cache owner asking for some help. Only one cacher was unable to help directly but he had his 12 year old daughter act as our translator through a series of e-mails. As an added bonus, I was able to link up with a few of the cache owners for a couple of beers and some good conversation.

If you're a Macintosh user the translator on your wigets dashboard works well. Simply copy and paste your text. If your not a Mac user you can always sent me a plane ticket and I will gladly be your translator and your guide to some of the most beautiful places Germany has to offer. Austria too for that matter.

Could any of you help if someone who spoke a major European language eg French, German, Spanish or Italian, let alone a less widely spoken one like Polish or Czech (languages spoken in European countries I visited most recently)?!?! I can manage French & Spanish, with a tiny bit of German (which was useful when speaking with older Poles), a a couple of words in most languages I've encountered, but that's it, I'm afraid. Fortunately, a Polish work colleague briefed me on some useful vocabulary and pronounciation of place names before I travelled - see www.sleepmonsters.co.uk then click on Race Reports and look at Bergson Winter Challenge (Feb / March 06)

I live in Norway, and if we submit a cache without an english description we are asked by the reviewer to submit english text aswell. Many norwegian caches are in english only.

I've had a travel bug travel in Germany, and I haven't seen any english descriptions. Strange, since this is an english page...