How Do You Make A Log For Nano's?

So I have some ideas for a nano container, but I don't know how in the world to make a log small enough to fit , yet big enough for people to sign :D . I put together some logs, but they just seemed so so. I figured I would ask here to get some advise, suggestions, past experience, etc.... ;)

I might have to just use them to hold coords. ;)

So I have some ideas for a nano container, but I don't know how in the world to make a log small enough to fit , yet big enough for people to sign :D . I put together some logs, but they just seemed so so. I figured I would ask here to get some advise, suggestions, past experience, etc.... ;)

I might have to just use them to hold coords. ;)

I ran across one that was a small plastic tube (maybe 3/8" diameter and 1 1/2" long) with a cork stuck in the end. Inside was a narrow strip of paper rolled around a piece of coathanger. The end was taped to the coathanger to make it easy to re-roll. Just hanging on a tree in plain sight.

I found that you can use Excel to generate a series of log sheets and adjust the column size to fit the cache container. I even preprint a label on mine. You fill the first cell of a column with your label and shift the text orientation so it reads from top to bottom. Then outline the borders of the cell. Be sure to use print preview to check the size of your worksheet so you don't waste a bunch of paper and ink, but it should be pretty easy to do. As for rolling, I just fold the log in half and roll from there.

If you can't get a signable log in there - maybe it is too small..... B)B)

(BTW - no such option or choice as nano - so it will be a micro)

I've found a couple of "nano"s that were roughly as mentioned above. Just a thin strip of standard printer paper cut lengthwise to yield a strip 11" long and maybe a 1/4" wide. Some even make little boxes on the sheet. You generally only leave initials unless you can write *really* small. You might need a magnifier to read some of my signatures on those. B)

The nano caches I hide will have an authentication code (something bizzare that you can't make up) with instructions to email me the code at gc.com. Once they email the correct code I will send them a reply to go ahead and log it. We are talking tiny caches though...

The nano caches I hide will have an authentication code (something bizzare that you can't make up) with instructions to email me the code at gc.com. Once they email the correct code I will send them a reply to go ahead and log it. We are talking tiny caches though...

Sadly, code-word caches are not approvable under the current guidelines.

A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache.
Edited by sbell111

In Southern Utah, we found a nano that had a micro-sheet in it with a phrase. We emailed the phrase to the cache owner, and were given permission to then log the find.

There was no log sheet in the cache. Only the secret phrase. No pen needed, and no trade items. It was a very quick cache and dash in a busy pull off right off of I-15.

The secret phrase was inventive......

sbell - Let me rephrase. I use nanos as legs of multis that can be logged independently as part of a puzzle. They are not traditional, nor are they "stand alone". In other words, you start, find a nano. It has an authentication code as well as code you need for puzzle to get to the final. Our reviewer is aware of these, as is one of our state board reps and are fine with them as implemented.

For my micros, some of which are very small and home made on my lathe I use a rotary paper cutter to make the log sheet. Visit a big office supply store and you will find paper cutters with rollers rather than the big blades that shear off the paper. You can get them with the flat beds marked with lines or hand held smallers ones which I use with a ruler to cut straight. If you need strips longer than 14" you can use cash register / calculator roll paper. I can cut a strip as narrow as 1/8" cleanly and quickly. There is not much room so you can ask cachers to just record their user name and no date. Still qualifies as a log and it can be verified.

If you have, or have access to, a home use type paper shredder that cuts strips...

then all you need is a sheet of paper (or mylar - for a really waterproof log).

Send Mr. Paper on his one way trip through the shredder and you'll have a *bunch* of log sheets :D

dadgum, never woulda thought of that!

Throw a page full of horizontal lines on it then shred it and you're golden. Log strips neatly divided into spots for initials. :D

sbell - Let me rephrase. I use nanos as legs of multis that can be logged independently as part of a puzzle. They are not traditional, nor are they "stand alone". In other words, you start, find a nano. It has an authentication code as well as code you need for puzzle to get to the final. Our reviewer is aware of these, as is one of our state board reps and are fine with them as implemented.

As I understand what you are saying, you have a multi-cache and you allow people to log a 'found it' for each stage. These stages do not have a log book, but you let them log a find if they tell you the code word.

I cannot imagine a cache such as this being published. If one reviewer is going off the reservation and approving such a cache, he should be appropriately counselled by TPTB.

As I understand what you are saying, you have a multi-cache and you allow people to log a 'found it' for each stage. These stages do not have a log book, but you let them log a find if they tell you the code word.

I cannot imagine a cache such as this being published. If one reviewer is going off the reservation and approving such a cache, he should be appropriately counselled by TPTB.

From his "Life's a Beach Cache" (GCP1R5)

The first is the redirector for a multicache in county park, can log as own find.

This is a two step cache, you can log both steps as log is provided in both, but on the log in the first is located the coordinates for the second cache.

A couple years ago my friend and no longer muggle Jim1830 worked at this park during the summer. What better way to bring him back than to set up some caches here!!!

After you find this cache, take some time to enjoy the view, the water, the sand, the scenery.

Here's one of my "nano-caches".....

4612Dog-ID-Tag.jpg

For a log sheet, I use one column from the logsheet linked below and trim it a little so it will fit. Here's the logsheet.....

Cache Logsheet

When I hide these, I use a piece of tyvek paper (water proof) and put a URL of a web page that I create for that cache. Then to log it, they have to collect the URL, click the email link from that page in order to get credit for the find.

Sadly, code-word caches are not approvable under the current guidelines.

A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache.

To me that falls under the category of "Why the heck not?" Does traditional have to include a log book?

The confirmation code is built into the web site over at terracaching.com. As well as first finder codes. It seems like a no-brainer to me. But it's against the current guidelines at gc.com ??? go figure.

There've been a few really inventive ideas here. We just borrowed from an old thread and built a logsheet with a complete geocaching description sheet that's about 6-8" long and leaves room for about 25 signatures and fits inside a 3/4" nano the size of a large prescription pill. Just fold in half and wrap around a toothpick to get it tight and slip it inside the nano. Toss in a piece of the the toothpick so people have a tool to remove it from the nano and voila! Our apologies to anyone these nanos make blind, but they seem to be a hit so far :unsure:

nano link: http://www.topsmalibu.com/Products/Games/M...%20Capsules.htm

And the secret to nice straight cuts? Head to Kinkos and use the paper cutter.

Those tiny ones that are either actual containers or the mod'd flashers are known as pico's in our area. The only down side to the flashers is that they don't seem to be rust free like the actual pill container that is the same size.

Edited by Rick618