2 Coins With The Same Tracking Number ?!?!?!

JWID

I have a Groundhog Day coin that I activated after I received it in the mail.

Tonight I was contacted by another reputable cacher who has a Groundhog Day coin that he tried to activate ... only to find out that it has the same tracking number as mine?!?

I checked my coin and any possible letter variations (C vs G, 8 vs B, etc) and there are none of the variations listed in the tracking number database for activation.

What is our next step?

HELP!!

JWID

Tonight I was contacted by another reputable cacher who has a Groundhog Day coin that he tried to activate ... only to find out that it has the same tracking number as mine?!?

I checked my coin and any possible letter variations (C vs G, 8 vs B, etc) and there are none of the variations listed in the tracking number database for activation.

What is our next step?

HELP!!

JWID

I would try to contact the coin maker to see if they will take care of it. Mistakes happen when thousands of coins are produced and usually they can be fixed with just a nice email.

Any potential solution is going to come from Groundspeak and/or the coin maker.

If they paid for a certain number of tracking numbers and the coin minter double minted one, one may be available. The trick (and it's a tough one) is to figure out which one is the one that got missed.

I'd contact the coin's maker as a starting point.

:D It would be interesting to set them both free and see how confused the logs ended up :D My solution set them both free and watch them go

:mad::mad::D

I'm tempted to do the same thing... my Fraher Family geocoin has a number already existing, too -- makes me want to release this one as the "Evil twin."

Sent several emails to the coin maker, one reply saying they'd check on it -- and not a single word furrther. So much for my icon... :)

What is our next step?

HELP!!

JWID

This problem seems to keep happening with this edition. If anyone else out there has an un-Activated Groundhog coin, I would double-check to see that your tracking number hasn't been duplicated. As far as this one problem goes, I sent an email to you about it and will send you a new coin in the mail.