Battery Life: 60cx V 60csx

GeoBobC

Garmin lists battery life for each as 18 hours. Is that correct? I'm sure this has been posted before so humor me. Do the altimeter and compass really not cause additional drain on the csx batteries? I was ready to hit "send" to an order for the 60cx when I double checked the battery life on Garmin's website. If they're really the same between the cx and csx, I'll go for the csx. Battery life is listed as 30 hours for the 60c and 18 for the 60cs.

Battery life is going to be entirely dependent on what kind of batteries you use.

If you purchase off-brand rechargeable batteries (not recommended), you might get as little as an hour's use with the GPSr. If you purchase Energizer 15-minute rechargeables, you might get the full 18 hours.

I get over 12 hours use with those batteries in my Vista C. To be on the safe side, I always carry four additional batteries with me.

I don't know how long Lithium batteries last, but there is no need to spend that much money on batteries unless you are using the GPSr in very cold weather.

i'm interested in some real-world feedback on this issue also. and for fun let's just say that we use the exact same battery in both units - same brand, same mah, same everything - yes i know there may be some subtle differences even within same battery etc.

if anyone has access to both units and has looked into the battery life please post with your experience - thanks.

i'm interested in some real-world feedback on this issue also. and for fun let's just say that we use the exact same battery in both units - same brand, same mah, same everything - yes i know there may be some subtle differences even within same battery etc.

if anyone has access to both units and has looked into the battery life please post with your experience - thanks.

With my 60 cx, I was getting 16 - 17 hrs on an old set of Enigizer 2500 NIMH batteries with me playing with the receiver all day. Put in a new set that had their first charge and they only lasted about 8 hrs. Now that I've cycled them a few times, their lasting about the same as the old set.

I keep the screen brightness at about 50%. With constant use, figure on 15 hrs and hope for 18.

Garmin lists battery life for each as 18 hours. Is that correct? I'm sure this has been posted before so humor me. Do the altimeter and compass really not cause additional drain on the csx batteries?

Strange, but apparently true. On repeated tests of my 60CSx using Duracell 2500 mAh NiMHs I got 18.5 hours with and without the compass turned on (on the first test I got 20.5 hours - with compass off- but after that repeated tests fell in the 18.5 hour range).

Garmin lists battery life for each as 18 hours. Is that correct? I'm sure this has been posted before so humor me. Do the altimeter and compass really not cause additional drain on the csx batteries? I was ready to hit "send" to an order for the 60cx when I double checked the battery life on Garmin's website. If they're really the same between the cx and csx, I'll go for the csx. Battery life is listed as 30 hours for the 60c and 18 for the 60cs.

Yes, battery life's been discussed previously a little bit on this thread. Scrolling down the thread, you'll see that geocacher "Got GPS?" did some side-by-side testing of a 60C and a 60Cx. Using freshly charged 2500 mah NIMH batteries he noted approximately 23 hours until shutoff on the 60C and 18.5 hours until shutoff on the 60Cx. I imagine the 60CS / 60CSx comparison would be about the same proportion, but I DO think the overall battery charge is shorter depending on the compass/altimeter settings. I've never heard of anyone getting 30 hours true usage on a charge.

I imagine the 60CS / 60CSx comparison would be about the same proportion, but I DO think the overall battery charge is shorter depending on the compass/altimeter settings. I've never heard of anyone getting 30 hours true usage on a charge.

This is not true. The compass in 60CS is eating battery, and the 60CSx compass do not use current at all.

Thats why 60Cx and 60CSx = 18hr

60CS and 60C is 20hr and 30hr