Garmin Legend And Legend C

I am thinking about purchasing a Legend or Legend C for my daughter and her family for geocaching. I know that both have the capability of uploading waypoints from GSAK, at least I think they do. the Legend has only 8MB of memory. Is that enough to upload, say, the Western US section of USA Topo?

I would also be interested in what owners of both units have to say about them.

If I knew for sure that my daughter and family would really take to geocaching, I would probably go with the Legend C, but I am not sure I want to invest that kind of money when I don't know for sure. I do want a garmin gps and one that a person can upload waypoints to.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Terry (geofindr)

Because the new 'x' units are out now, you might be able to get the Legend C for a better price now if you really shop around.

The 8 MB of memory on the Legend isn't very much, although the Topo Maps don't eat up the memory the way the street maps do.

The real benefit to getting the C is the ability to auto-route with it if/when they purchase City Select software. I really like that feature because I am often driving in unfamiliar areas and can set the GPSr to either find a Point of Interest, a Geocache, or get me home from an unfamiliar area after midnight, like imy Vista C did last night . . . ;)

To give you some idea, 8MB covers from Tillamook Bay, down the cost even with Grant's Pass, from the coast to about 20 miles east of I-5. I'm guessing that would be what? A sixth of Oregon? All of Oregon takes 33.3MB, since the central region doesn't have as many topo features. The western US map is 644.6MB.

That having been said, the regular Legend is a bargain these days. It is very popular with cachers. It would be a great starter unit.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my original post. I have been rethinking things and may decide tp bite the bullet and buy a Garmin legend Cx. It has the SD card, and with the investment in additional mapping software, they can get auto routing and use it for finding their way in there car.

Anyone with the Cx? Your opinions?

Thanks,

Terry

My wife and I have Legend Cxs and love them. We started with a different brand but found them hard to use. We then bought B&W Legends and found them good but a little lacking. Tax money came and the first thing we did was upgrade to the Cxs and CS software. I can'tsay enough good things about them. I do have to admit that paying more would probably get a unit that does even better but our Cxs geocache and autoroute great. Shop around we bought our Cxs for $250 each and the CS software for $120

I've only had a Legend Cx for a short time now and so far have no problem keeping solid, multiple satellite locks in the forest. Mind you the trees are still dormant this time of year so will have to wait and see how it performs in the summer.

The Cx has newer technology on its side by a couple of years with longer battery life and the color display which is incredible.

By the way, mine came with a 64M card!

Edited by Randall50