Category Proposal: Large Sculpture, "yeah, But What Is It?"

Category Proposal: Large Sculpture, "Yeah, But What Is It?"

Statuary comes in all forms, people, things, dieties, and so on are all quite recognizable. However, sometimes you're just staring at something and you can't help but ask "Yeah, it's art, but what is it?"

This category would be for those sculptures that defy description. The bigger the better. Given the preponderance of bizarre lawn art in the fronts of businesses, homes and other estates, I'm restricting this category to sculpture higher than 10 feet tall or larger than 30 feet across. I want to know that a major effort was put into place by some person or persons to set up something that defies description.

Required Descriptors:

Name (if applicable)

Photos

GPS location

City, State location

Accompanying text (if applicable, it will be on a nearby plaque or marker)

Artist or Organization

Date of Construction or Dedication

Material Used (Bronze, cement, wood, mixed media, etc)

What the locals call it (locals often have names that have nothing to do with what the artist intended)

What you think it looks like (if you can answer this, it may not belong in this category :( )

Edited by BillsBayou

I walk past one of these useless monstrosities every day on the way into my office building. The rusting hulk of metal has no discernible reason to exist, or to be called "art." About ten years ago, at the request of our facilities department I researched the legality of removing the permanent "installation." I learned about artist's rights in their work. Bleh. It still stands there, taunting me. I would love to waymark it.

I walk past one of these useless monstrosities every day on the way into my office building.

You sure surprised me with that statement. I though for sure that you 'have' to be retired to post 5481 posts in almost 4 years. That is 1370 posts a year or 3.75 every day! What do you do in your spare time ? :mad:

As an artists wife (grin), I would love the opportunity to explain a little about how beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe it would be good to waymark a few of these sculptures, along with a few lighthouses.

surely a lot less offensive than tossing them into the ocean!

:rolleyes:

David