Amateur Radio Related Geocoins

Marky

I've been thinking of making a geocoin with Joani's (N6JCY) and my (K6FTF) call signs on our next coin we do. I saw this cool amateur radio related geocoin at the geo coin store:

sample.JPG

Are there any other geocoins out there than have amateur radio callsigns on them?

--Marky

Funny you should mention that.. I am producing a Amateur Radio Geocoin. working with oakcoins :(

Cool, I wonder if there would be a demand for a custom engraved geocoin (one where your callsign was custom engraved, kind of like an order I put in for the Compass Rose 2006 for our group). I think that would be kinda neat. Is yours something like that, or is it a personal coin with your callsign on it (like the above one is)?

--Marky

The coin i will have made is a General Ham Radio theme. Many people use APRS with ham radio and tie this into geocaching.. Also thinking HF or IRLP nets for geocachers would be a great idea! Amatuer Radio Geocaching Society is being formed here??? :(

The coin i will have made is a General Ham Radio theme. Many people use APRS with ham radio and tie this into geocaching.. Also thinking HF or IRLP nets for geocachers would be a great idea! Amatuer Radio Geocaching Society is being formed here??? ;)

Well, we've been running an IRLP/Echolink net every Thursday since the first of the year. ;) Pop in tonight and say hi!

--Marky

The coin i will have made is a General Ham Radio theme. Many people use APRS with ham radio and tie this into geocaching.. Also thinking HF or IRLP nets for geocachers would be a great idea! Amatuer Radio Geocaching Society is being formed here??? ;)

Well, we've been running an IRLP/Echolink net every Thursday since the first of the year. ;) Pop in tonight and say hi!

--Marky

I will try to join you on that net next week as I own IRLP node 3699. Could not make it tonight

Way Kewl!

Just had to Hyjack this thread!

Yeap! that's My GeoCoin!

They are scheduled to go on sale Sunday @ 9:30 PM, & Monday @ 12:30 PM EST Times at the GeoCoin Store.

They also will be GC.Com trackable with my own Icon! Check out the Profile on my GeoCoin while you are there!

Also I'm open for Personal GeoCoin trades! E-mail me to get set up!

Thanks! Marky!

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS

Sure it is geocaching related, i take a radio with me all the time

and run into many hams / geocachers in my area all the time.

Ham radio is just another geocaching tool.

There is even a weekly Geocaching net for hams to talk about

their cacheing activities, And meet alot of the other ham cachers.

Edited by Ozium

Also!

A local HAM / GeoCacher is Planning a GeoCache at a Local HAMFest coming up in the Grand Rapids Area.

Not sure on the Details yet but I will post the GC Number of the Cache when It gets ironed out!

Also a GPS is not only used to find a GeoCache!

I Guess some people just don't think one thing doesn't go with the other!

Like using your FRS Radio with GeoCaching!

Well guess what?

My Handheld HAM Radio receives, and transmits FRS Channels!

Oh Well!

This could be a Big open discussion!

So let's just go Caching anyway we Prefer! "Tomayto" Tomato" We all do the same thing differently! But we seem to find the GeoCache in the end!

Happy Caching to all!

I am going to be installing APRS into my car so my geocaching friends can track me on Google Earth and view how close I am to finding a particular cache. So yes it is very related. I love all the naysayers on these forums!

Edited by jonutley

KE6VUP here.

I've just got interested in APRS.

I have the TH-D7G and TM-D700A.

UI-view is a great program for APRS.

And the FRS freq. are not in the normal range of a ham radio(but I have it too!).

Working on a tinytrak3 unit too.

Not much use for geocaching.....yet. :D

Please keep this thread about the coins and not about the radios, etc..

If not, we'll need to move it to another section of the boards.

- FSM

We should make an APRS geocoin: "Moving caches aren't allowed, but moving geocoins are." on the front side. On the back: "Cache me if you can!" :D Or maybe "Trackable at geocaching.com, findable at findu.com". :ph34r:

--Marky