Advice About Paperless Caching

After 600+ finds and 60+ hides I need to come into the 21st century and stop caching with paper. So now I have a question and hope some can steer me in the right direction.

If I aim to 'power cache' in an area with about 100 caches, is there anyway to download something that has more than just the coordinates (which I already do with my GPS), but also includes the text description and hints? I'm talking about not having to look at every cache web page but instead perhaps pulling up a large number of caches on a zip code search and then capturing all of the essential information in one fell swoop into a file that I can store in my PDA or even print out as a single file as hard copy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paperless caching is the best option for powercaching. I have found it does take away from the "personal relationship" I like to form with a cache before I visist it - but then again it is still caching!

Purchase (there are options here but the "standard" is as follows):

1-PDA (if you don't own one already)

2-GSAK (you can trail for like 21 days and then get a nag screen until you register); GSAK is a computer database program which displays all the cache information in a row / column format

3-Cachemate (load onto your PDA); Cachemate is a database for PDAs which stores all the cache information

Since you are already a premium member

1-Create a pocket query with whatever criteria you desire

2-Open the pocket query results in GSAK

3-Choose what caches you want to send to your PDA (I usually do all of them)

4-Export the data to a Cachemate PDB file

5-sync your PDA with your computer

6-Open cachemate on your PDA and choose what database to load the exported file into (cachemate will ask you this)

7-GO OUT CACHING

Regarding 'paperless' caching using your pda, there are basically two ways to go if you are a Palm owner. You can download the cache pages to your unit using Cachemate or Plucker. Cachemate costs $8, Plucker's free.

I personally prefer Plucker's output. CYBret's Geocacher U webpage does an excellent job of walking you through how to use Plucker. I can only offer two additional bits of advice.

Instead of Plucker's desktop application, I use Sunrise's Desktop application. It still sends the info to your pda's Plucker application, but I think it runs faster and is easier to get any pics on the cache pages to your pda.

I also use Cache Log Book. It's a great little palm application that allows you to create a database of all the caches the you attempt. It logs the date and time of your attempts, the name and GC# of each cache, what you traded, and any notes you would like to make.

Edited by sbell111

My 'PDA' is a Blackberry 8700c.

Does this mean I am screwed in regard to use of those Palm programs?

I'm afraid so. Blackberry's do not have Palm or Windows PocketPC or Windows Mobile based handheld operating systems. There is now a version of Cachemate for both Palm and PocketPC, but neither will work with your Blackberry.

Regarding 'paperless' caching using your pda, there are basically two ways to go if you are a Palm owner. You can download the cache pages to your unit using Cachemate or Plucker. Cachemate costs $8, Plucker's free.

I also use Cache Log Book. It's a great little palm application that allows you to create a database of all the caches the you attempt. It logs the date and time of your attempts, the name and GC# of each cache, what you traded, and any notes you would like to make.

Don't forget that this is also one of the main functions of Cachemate. In fact, if you are also a GSAK user, you can then use GSAK to transfer your log notes from your Palm Cachemate into the cache log pages using GSAK's built-in Cachemate macro.

Don't forget that this is also one of the main functions of Cachemate. In fact, if you are also a GSAK user, you can then use GSAK to transfer your log notes from your Palm Cachemate into the cache log pages using GSAK's built-in Cachemate macro.

I'm not. I have both Plucker and Cachemate loaded on my pda. I like Plucker's output better.

With a blackberry you are screwed for the paperless programs. But if I recall spinner and plucker (or some combination) can get you HTML output and the odds are you can get an HTMl reader for your blackberry.

If you have a means of exporting HTML named after the waypoints (and Spinner or Plucker (...can't recall which) should have enough versatility do that, you could pick a waypoint out of a list and have your info.

Or I'm out in left field and all that was not helpful. It's been too long since I looked at those programs.

Here is another option.

Rather than use my "real" PDA in the field, I got a Dell Axim x30 Pocket PC off of EBay and am running GPX Sonar. It too interfaces nicely with GSAK.

Both the Axim and the software have been rock solid, and have never left me stranded in the field "without a clue".

Here is another option.

Rather than use my "real" PDA in the field, I got a Dell Axim x30 Pocket PC off of EBay and am running GPX Sonar. It too interfaces nicely with GSAK.

Gosh, what is your "real" PDA if the x30 isn't?

I don't understand why you use GSAK. I download queries in .gpx and read them in GPX Sonar with no conversion required on the Pocket PC. What does GSAK tell you that Sonar doesn't?

Sonar works in the PPC. GSAK is a PC based data management program that slices and dices the data so you can be selective as to what is in the gpx file you create to be seen by Sonar in your PPC. It will creaete 10 digit Smartnames for your waypoints rather than the 6 digit standard from Geocaching. For example, a cache called Happy Caching will beconme a waypoint of Happycachi rather than GCabcd. GSAK also creates Mapsourse, Mapsend, NG Topo and other files for use on your PC. It will allow direct transdfer of the waypoint directly to the GPS from the GSAK program as well.

I also use it to tag maplet for my auto navigation program so the icons have more meaning.

Edited by Alan2

Sonar works in the PPC. GSAK is a PC based data management program that slices and dices the data so you can be selective as to what is in the gpx file you create to be seen by Sonar in your PPC. It will creaete 10 digit Smartnames for your waypoints rather than the 6 digit standard from Geocaching. For example, a cache called Happy Caching will beconme a waypoint of Happycachi rather than GCabcd. GSAK also creates Mapsourse, Mapsend, NG Topo and other files for use on your PC. It will allow direct transdfer of the waypoint directly to the GPS from the GSAK program as well.

I also use it to tag maplet for my auto navigation program so the icons have more meaning.

Oh, I understand. I thought that GSAK was a PPC program.

It's clear you use Mapopolis, as do I. It always annoyed me that a GPXtoMaplet dump used the waypoints and I couldn't search by cache name.

Thanks for the reply!

If I aim to 'power cache' in an area with about 100 caches, is there anyway to download something that has more than just the coordinates (which I already do with my GPS), but also includes the text description and hints?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Using GSAK you could pick a starting point cache and then macro "Cache Raid". That basically gives you the fastest routing (for the user selected number of caches) from one cache to the next, following the order and description for each cache.

My 'PDA' is a Blackberry 8700c.

Does this mean I am screwed in regard to use of those Palm programs?

Just pick up a cheap Palm on Ebay then. Something like an M505 can be found for as little as $30 bucks. That way you don't have to worry about your Blackberry getting smashed, dropped or dunked in a stream.