Topo Mapping Question

WR8Y

(My first post here! :( )

I don't know how much I am going to get into Geocaching, I came here to get advice on GPSr's - and I see I found the right place!

Anyway, I am an avid hiker, and now want a GPSr that will display topo information well. I will use GPS for navigating while on the road, but my PRIMARY use for GPS is off road foot travel.

I like Lowrance devices like the Expedition or Hunt models, and I want a color display.

My question: What company's software displays both roads and topo features the best? While I like Lowance products, would I be better off with Garmin or something else?

Any advice or input is welcome! :(

(My first post here! :( )

I don't know how much I am going to get into Geocaching, I came here to get advice on GPSr's - and I see I found the right place!

Anyway, I am an avid hiker, and now want a GPSr that will display topo information well. I will use GPS for navigating while on the road, but my PRIMARY use for GPS is off road foot travel.

I like Lowrance devices like the Expedition or Hunt models, and I want a color display.

My question: What company's software displays both roads and topo features the best? While I like Lowance products, would I be better off with Garmin or something else?

Any advice or input is welcome! :(

i cant speak for the other brands, but I am a new geocacher, and after reading the forums, decided to get the Garmin 60CSx. I also have the Garmin TOPO software . I am very happy with them. What I like about the garmin is that under heavy tree cover and even indoors or in the car, the receiver qualitly of the 60CSx is superior to anything out there in the price range.

Cary in S.D.

Thanks for both replies...

I have to admit, the Garmin unit looks good, but the TROPO screen shots on Garmin's site IMPLY that roads are not included in the tropo display. (That can't be right, can it?)

Lowrance does not provide screen shots, but I sure like their stuff, and have read a lot of praise here for Lowrance (including that thread mentioned above!)

Do I understand: ... that in Garmin, the tropo ability is map-based, where in Lowrance it's map based BUT you are limited to tropo displays only on the HUNT, EXPEDITION and EXPLORER models?

I guess it doesn't really matter, because I insist on:

1 Tropo display capability (with, at least roads and some misc landmarks included.)

2 Electronic Compass

3 Barometric Altimeter

4 Color display

5 External Antenna Jack

... so I am limited in model - no matter WHAT manufacturer.

-----------

Yes, I posted in the Ham radio section a little biography of my ham background.

Edited by WR8Y

WR8Y,

My Lowrance H2Oc antenna works so well I haven't needed an external antenna. A friend has the Magellan software and a Meridian Gold and the Lowrance software and hardware blows it away as well. The Lowrance models you speak of ALL have the topo maps. My Mapcreate 6.3 is geared for the outdoorsman and is topo based but, you can tell the unit ,in one of the menus not to draw topo data, its your choice. The only thing the Lowrance wouldn't have is the barometric altimeter, I have found these to be terribly inaccurate and not much use. When the unit gets a 3D lock it show you your altitude anyway. The only thing I don't like about the Lowrance is the battery cover latch. BTW we are the same age, I was 14 in 1974 also! Didn't get my ham ticket till 1986!

Steve........N3GOV

There are a LOT of roads on the Garmin unit, virtually all section line roads are included, including parking lot roads in parks etc. (I live in S.D., so if they are listed here, they will be on other places) .

What isnt included on the TOPO maps is the names of all the smaller roads, but the larger roads and highways are named. I have found this more than sufficient for all my geocaching. If you want a turn by turn software program for the Garmin, you will have to get City Select V7 which can be loaded on the same card as the TOPO software.

Cary in S>D

There are a LOT of roads on the Garmin unit, virtually all section line roads are included, including parking lot roads in parks etc. (I live in S.D., so if they are listed here, they will be on other places) .

Ok, good.

If you want a turn by turn software program for the Garmin...

I don't think I need turn-by-turn. I am mostly interested in hiking/etc. The reason I want roads is that IF I know my position in respect to a curve in a road, I know THAT MUCH MORE about where I really am!

STEVE,

Lowrance does advertise barometric altimeters in some models, but I too wondered how accurate they would be. (The electronic compass is by far more important to me.)

WR8Y,

Did you see this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=126394

Steve

Ah, yes - the "Lowrance Lover's" thread! I think my mind is made up. It'll be a Lowrance HUNT or EXPEDITION color model. I wonder if I should go all the way and get the "PLUS" with all the software and cable and SD card - or just order the topo map card for GA-FL-SC. Not sure I wanna tie myself to the laptop, and the three state area would cover everywhere I go.

OF course, by getting the software, I can add/delete/change and save stuff...

Maybe I'll get both.

Sure is weird, I found an online add for an Expedition C PLUS for $317 online. Sure seems like a lot for such little money: GPSr, electronic compass, altimeter, mapping software, SD card and programmer/cable.

Gas is going UP, but this technology is certainly NOT what I would call 'exspensive'.

WR8Y,

Well if you go buy the accessories separate you'd have alot more in it than if you bought the package, PLUS edition. Once you have the software and all accessories go get some 1GB SD cards and load the whole software bundle. You'll never be " tied to a computer" again. LOL. I see just the software for 100$ on ebay let alone the reader and the card. Mine came with a 64 MB card, which will get you started, but I am going after the GB ones and be done with the software.....Unless you want to change something! The base maps are not near as detailed as the Mapcreate 6.3 ones. I would get the software if it were me doin it again. Color is the ONLY way to go!!