Outhouses

Since we have backcountry shelters, I think that it would also be a cool addition to have a category for outhouses. Because as us hikers know, when you're out hiking in the woods, when "nature calls", you have to answer it ASAP.

So, how about a category under Camping and Hiking for Outhouses? :)

I think unique and/or historic outhouses would make a good category. Not just any old outhouse in a campground, though.

<snip>

I agree, historic or antique outhouses might be interesting, but not modern porta-potties.

That is a great idea. I found these out in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

8faecb41-9a41-4c4f-8a25-2942daf4a61f.jpg

G'day

My five cents worth is that they should be distinguishing, i.e., stand out, along the lines already suggested. For example there is one at a New Zealand campsite in the mountains which overlooks this amazing view, is efffectively only three sided, the fourth side is a very very long drop and it is tided down by wire cables.

I don't think that "normal" dunnies as we call them that are attached to campsites or shelters should be included.

Also dunnies that are not in the backcountry but are distinguishing should be allowed in my view. For an example see the GCA cache.

Regards

Andrew

I think unique and/or historic outhouses would make a good category. Not just any old outhouse in a campground, though.

As with other category proposals, such as "Interesting post offices," the difficulty is trying to define the subjective terms "unique and/or historic."

Seems to me the orignial proposal was on functionality -- for hikers and trekkers to find the facilities. A noble quest. Perhaps the requirement could be trail side outhouses and dunnies, as opposed to campground facilities. Definitely NOT "Porta-Potties!"

Go for it, as it were!

Hey Aushiker - this cracks me up - but the general population of the North (& South) American continents have no clue as to what a dunny is! LOL A few do but most don't. The jokes on us Kiwis and Aussies matey! :laughing:

Edited by StagsRoar
Hey Aushiker - this cracks me up - but the general population of the North (& South) American continents have no clue as to what a dunny is! LOL A few do but most don't. The jokes on us Kiwis and Aussies matey! :laughing:

You will like this too, then StagsRoar. I lived for awhile in a suburb of Perth called .... Innaloo :laughing:

Sorry taking this thread off topic, but couldn't resist. Will behave now.

Andrew