The 2006 Alberta Geocoin Project

wavector

Hello

Premonitions!

I started working on an Alberta Geocoin about three months ago in early December of 2005!!!!

I made the decision to assemble a group of geocachers who were willing to make a geocoin for all geocachers in Alberta. I started by sending messages to geocachers whose logs and adventures I followed with interest, geocachers from everywhere in the province, asking them if they would be interested in such a project. I got responses from geocachers who were interested and from geocachers who were not. I sent out more emails and I am very happy to be able to tell you that I feel I have been very successful in my endeavours. I have assembled a working group that represents geocachers from every area of Alberta. I recently sent an email (Mar 08) to the entire group indicating that I would be announcing the inception of the public phase of the project that we have all agreed to embark upon. I will use this reply as the framework of the announcement.

The 2006 Alberta Geocoin Project project is intended to "design a geocoin, mint a geocoin and get that geocoin into the hands of geocachers".

My personal stake in this project is as a member of this working group. I will also personally indemnify this project . This working group can make decisions that reflect a true cross section of Alberta's geocachers in every respect. I would like to introduce the working group if I may ;

From Calgary, Alberta one of the best known geocoin enthusiasts in the world today and the producer of the first trackable Alberta geocoin, Lemon Fresh Dog.

From Edmonton, Alberta one of GeocachingEdmonton's most well known stalwarts and a popular and well known contributor to geocaching in Alberta, Mr. Speedy's parade.

From Cowley, Alberta I asked for and got help from Frog and Polywog, Alberta geocachers who have been contributors from the very beginning of this activity.

From Grande Prairie, Alberta I asked for and received help from Gramma & Pat who have been enthusiastically hiding and seeking in that area of Alberta.

I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta and I intiated the process from here.

I have never met any of the members of the working group! This unique process has perhaps culminated in your email tonight as I was wondering what method I could use to effectively announce our intention to proceed with the geocoin.

My intent in starting this process was to attempt to ensure that a geocoin created for Alberta geocachers would be made by Alberta geocachers from everywhere in Alberta. I hope that this working group represents a strong cross section of Albertans who geocache. The first working group meeting will be held shortly. I am going to announce this project in the Geocoin forum on Geocaching.com by copying an anonymized copy of this letter over there.

I sincerely hope that you will recognize our effort and throw your own very well respected opinion behind our eventual success. I am just one individual on this working group but do feel that our unique approach will succeed in producing a unique geocoin.

We are definitely looking for design submissions!

Thanks

The 2006 Alberta Geocoin Project

wavector

Edited by wavector

I'm looking forward to an Alberta Coin! Some thoughts:

How about a stylized rose, leaves made to look like comapss points? Designed like the toonie, gold with silver center (or reverse it so there are no counterfeiting issues), but rose enameled red?

Have city coins using the same design but instead of the rose, some central element that gives the character of the city, Calgary='s Calgary Tower or White Hat or Saddledome. Edmonton ='s... what would Edmonton equal? & or add the coordinates of the city's center somewhere on the coin.

Whatever the case looking forward to getting several when they're available!

In the design process, my opinion is to just do a "core" dump on Alberta symbolism. Then, distill the results as appropriate. Example:

(please add your own!)

Alberta "Official" Symbols:

Flower:

Animal:

Alberta "Social" Symbols:

Oil

Rocky Mountains

Prairie

Canyons

Dinosaurs

Cowboys

Geocaching Symbols:

Ammo Cans

GPSr Units

Groundspeak Logos

To "balance" the coin, my suggestion would be one side as an Alberta symbol, the other as a Geocaching symbol. Of course, you could always combine (for example, a gushing oil well that has ammo cans instead of oil flowing from the top, or a cowboy lasso-ing an ammo can or holding a GPSr while riding a horse..... lot's of possibilities here.)

My suggestion is:

Dump = ideas, symbols, shapes

Sort = eliminate anything deemed regional, impractical and/or with low popularity

Select = the hardest part by far -- decide on the way to go. This may involve those supporting and idea promoting that symbol and idea for a period of time. After that time, the "contest" is closed and a vote is cast with majority winning. In the event of a close race or tie, the person paying the cost of minting gets the "tie-breaker" vote.

Then, it's off to the drawing board, refinement of the design, and finally proof and minting!

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

My suggestion is:

Sort = eliminate anything deemed regional, impractical and/or with low popularity

Select = the hardest part by far -- decide on the way to go. This may involve those supporting and idea promoting that symbol and idea for a period of time. After that time, the "contest" is closed and a vote is cast with majority winning. In the event of a close race or tie, the person paying the cost of minting gets the "tie-breaker" vote.

Then, it's off to the drawing board, refinement of the design, and finally proof and minting!

I agree. And PLEASE stick to a deadline. If you say the "contest" is closed as of a given date, stick to it. The 2006 Calgary geocoin is an example of a good idea with a bad process. Please DO NOT repeat that, just learn from it.

How about a stylized rose, leaves made to look like comapss points? Designed like the toonie, gold with silver center (or reverse it so there are no counterfeiting issues), but rose enameled red?

Have city coins using the same design but instead of the rose, some central element that gives the character of the city, Calgary='s Calgary Tower or White Hat or Saddledome. Edmonton ='s... what would Edmonton equal? & or add the coordinates of the city's center somewhere on the coin.

I would like to see a uniquely-shaped coin, like in the shape of an Alberta Rose. However it MAY look too much like the 2006 California coin.

I'd also like to see a popular/familiar mountain on the coin, such as Three Sisters in Canmore.

How about a stylized rose, leaves made to look like comapss points?

I like that idea... Let's keep that in mind.

Designed like the toonie, gold with silver center (or reverse it so there are no counterfeiting issues), but rose enameled red?

This is a very cool idea, but may be a bit costly. I'm not sure if we are that concerned about counterfeiting.

I have started discussion threads in all the Alberta Forums- Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge but would really like to see discussion centered here in the international geocoin forums. I am glad to see some comments coming in and I am very glad to see that people have been busy thinking about the process that lies in front of us. I would like to thank nicolo for recognizing our efforts and also let him know that his input is very much appreciated and desired.

Since announcing this process publicy I feel that I have for the most part relinquished any type of control. This process was intended to take on a life of it's own and that life cannot be planned in any way! The idea behind creating a group and relinquishing control to that group was very clear to me from the beginning. My initial invitation was to participate in the production of a trackable Alberta geocoin and I would like to stress that this is not the same process as simply creating a geocoin for Alberta. All trackable geocoins must meet several requirements ;

The design must be approved by Groundspeak.com

The geocoin must contain the phrase "trackable at geocaching.com"

The design must make allowances for a custom tracking code to be etched or inscribed.

The minting cost of a trackable geocoin will likely be over $5.00USD as each coin will entail a $1.50USD tracking fee.

The cost of adding a custom icon to the Groundspeak database is $150.00USD.

The tracking number from Groundspeak is assigned, if a numeric progression is desired ie. 1, 2, 3 then allowance must be made to add an additional number in the design.

Please feel free to throw ideas on to the table and please feel free to debate the merits of any idea that is being discussed.

All geocoin enthusiasts are welcome to add comments. Geocoins are intended for an international audience and any input that helps us achieve appealing design features is positive.

Select = the hardest part by far -- decide on the way to go.

This is a very good approach.

Personally I have been working on a design for one side of the coin !

I would like to see the 3d outline of Alberta blended with an ammo can, there is enough square edges in the provincial outline to make that work and it would make a neat coin side.

I have been working on some rough pencil sketches of this concept but I really am a bad artist.

I would be very interested in see input from professional designers on this coin.

Here are some more themes I like

Provincial Bird : Great Horned Owl

Provincial Symbol: Head of grain

Geocaching Symbol: Groundspeak Logo

I would like to see a uniquely-shaped coin, like in the shape of an Alberta Rose. However it MAY look too much like the 2006 California coin.

I'd also like to see a popular/familiar mountain on the coin, such as Three Sisters in Canmore.

How's about Brokeback Mountain...??!!! Ya, I thought you'd like that! You want cowboys on there too???

peanutbutterbreadandjam

I agree. And PLEASE stick to a deadline. If you say the "contest" is closed as of a given date, stick to it. The 2006 Calgary geocoin is an example of a good idea with a bad process. Please DO NOT repeat that, just learn from it.

Well, given that the 'closing' date for the Calgary coin was December 2006, I don't think we had any problems sticking to it ;)

I don't think it would look much like the California Micro. Roses and poppies don't look that much alike. Plus, if yours was a normal sized coin, people wouldn't even make comparisons at all. ;)

--Marky

How about this first mock up of an idea. Shows both sides. Has mountains, prairies, grain, provincial colours, ammo cans (3 of them), tracking number, "trackable" text and message area. However no mention of a website other than GC.com... Oh, and it's a shape!

Whaddya think?!

First submission here

Thanks

peanutbutterbreadandjam

I should add that this is just a mock up - do not look too closely at the detail, and especially the coat of arms side, there would have to be extensive editing to make this work in metal.

peanutbutterbreadandjam

Wow, you are fast Miles!! Seems to me that looks familiar... could it be the provincial shield? ;)

Personally, I like it. It incorporates everything, and it is applicable to all Alberta cachers.... no one will be able to say one area was favoured over another. I like the fact that it would be a shape other than round, as well. I say "good job!"

Mountains, prairies, owls, cowboys, gophers....(getting a little crowded there) maybe have some good simple ideas and do a new coin every couple of years. Also that way each area of the province can be represented with a simple symbol and an underlying tone (like the ammo can or GPS). Personally I like some of the beautiful river valleys we have in so many parts of the province and nary a mountain to be seen in quite a few of them. Also great places to place/find caches

- Testy ;)

How about this first mock up of an idea. Shows both sides. Has mountains, prairies, grain, provincial colours, ammo cans (3 of them), tracking number, "trackable" text and message area. However no mention of a website other than GC.com... Oh, and it's a shape!

Whaddya think?!

First submission here

Thanks

peanutbutterbreadandjam

OK ... for a start ;)

I think that once we get a better idea of what we want on the coin we should get some help from a graphic artist to create some beautiful artwork to put on the coin.

I'd like to see mountains on it. ...well ok I insist ;)

Well, how about Three Sisters in the summer

or Three Sisters in the not-so summer

Summer. I get enough reminders of winter. ;)

What does a brass cap look like again? :D

Well if you look carefully under the lil' tower that XRN95's standing next to, you can see a cap ( benchmark ).

Ahhh, Mt. Cory! Good times.

Ahhh yes the day we almost got zapped by lightening, lol.

Hello nicolo

I received a request from the working group members indicating that they would really like to see you join this project if that was possible. This request received support from other members of the working group and I am extending this invitation based on all these emails.

nicolo, please consider joining this working group, we really would like to have your help if you are still interested.

Thanks

David aka wavector

>Well, I’m flattered, and excited!

>Absolutely I’d like to join, thanks for the invitation!

>nicolo

Hello nicolo

I received a request from the working group members indicating that they would really like to see you join this project if that was possible. This request received support from other members of the working group and I am extending this invitation based on all these emails.

nicolo, please consider joining this working group, we really would like to have your help if you are still interested.

Thanks

David aka wavector

>Well, I’m flattered, and excited!

>Absolutely I’d like to join, thanks for the invitation!

>nicolo

Does this mean we're going to have naked people on the alberta coin? :P:rolleyes::P

Does this mean we're going to have naked people on the alberta coin?

I think the nicolo geocaching coin is a geocoin with tremendous impact. I like the coins texture overall, the use of relief and surface to create the design, it works really well. I like the way coin looks, I like the solidity and the metal textures, we could do much worse than this if selecting a style for the provincial geocoin.

Of course it goes without saying that the relationship between naked people and geocaching may not be immediately obvious to most people. :D:ph34r:

OK, here's a goofy idea..... a great horned owl (or is it a great gray owl?) flying towards the mountains, carrying an ammocan in it's talons......

Hey! Don't make fun of our provincial bird - the great Horned owl. .... and besides not one of you has ended up still hunting after dark and encountered one of these beauties??

OK, here's a goofy idea..... a great horned owl (or is it a great gray owl?) flying towards the mountains, carrying an ammocan in it's talons......

Hey! Don't make fun of our provincial bird - the great Horned owl. .... and besides not one of you has ended up still hunting after dark and encountered one of these beauties??

Who's making fun? I said the idea was goofy, not the bird. :laughing: And yes, I have encountered a Great Gray Owl, and it wasn't after dark even. It was one of the awesome sights that we came across as a result of looking for a cache (Old Mill at Brown-Lowery) , pictures on our log. Watched it catch it's breakfast.

Which is the provincial bird, the great horned, or great gray? (don't have time to look it up)

Alberta's Provincial Bird is the Great Horned Owl.

Provincial Bird

We saw Great Horned Owl just a short while ago on a daytime hunt in Montana. :laughing:

The owl was sitting in The Whitehouse and flew off only after we got right to the window, my kids were thrilled, especially as they are all Harry Potter fans.

I had occasion to move LFD's Ohio Geocoin and this geocoin has a beautiful red cardinal on one side, it was a very nice coin. It should be noted that my cache names demonstrate a clear preference for Birds. My next cache is going to be another Bird cache!

Someone suggested a dinosaur and I replied that I would not be pushing a coin with an Albertasaurus on it as I already made a dinosaur coin!

I don't like the oil symbols so much as I can't think of any oil well caches I have done. Farmland is another story, there are many neat farm caches. I like Lemon Fresh Dog's idea of just getting all these things out on the table so any suggestion is good. I thought the owl and the ammo can were both good ideas but will admit had trouble understanding why the owl wouldn't just open the cache and sign the log, why fly away with it ? :anibad::huh:

Edited by wavector

Alberta's Provincial Bird is the Great Horned Owl.

Provincial Bird

I thought the owl and the ammo can were both good ideas but will admit had trouble understanding why the owl wouldn't just open the cache and sign the log, why fly away with it ? :(:P

Because he could? He was a muggle owl? He forgot a pen to sign the log and had to take the cache back to his roost? :(

thanks for the link to the owls.... when we saw the Great Gray it was the most awesome thing, . Even if we hadn't found the cache, seeing the owl on a frosty morning was worth getting wet from all the frost in the grass and dripping off the trees. Now, if we could only find an owl pellet on one of our excursions....

Being a very amateur birder, I'm partial to the owl idea myself. :P

Some additional coin information:

Coin Size : 1.75"

Metal : Dyed black metal and enamel

Finish : Epoxy coated on both sides

Trackable at geocaching.com

Custom Icon on geocaching.com

Geocoin Tracking Code Prefix : AB

Produced by : The Geocoin Store

This is the first "Alberta" geocoin. (other coins have been produced in Alberta but not specifically for Alberta)

The custom icons used for tracking were also designed by pbbj.

*ordering information coming soon

The link at the The Geocoin Store exists without any content yet.

You can see the 2006 Alberta Wild Rose Geocoin is in the upcoming list and I am not certain when the sale will start, I think it may start very soon.

Thank you for all the interest expressed in this geocoin.

The sale of this geocoin will be password protected for a certain amount of time to allow all Albertans an opportunity to purchase the 2006 Alberta Wild Rose Geocoin.

If you are an Alberta geocacher feel free to contact any member of the working group to obtain the password to the sale. You can ask on the Alberta geocoin forum threads in Lethbridge, Edmonton and Calgary and you will recieve an answer. Feel free to send an email using the geocaching.com website or even use the PM feature on this discsussion forum. The working group would like to strongly encourage all Albertans to make the effort to buy this geocoin.

There is only one version of this geocoin, every coin will be the same with no metal variations.

Here is the descriptive text that will appear with the 2006 Alberta Wild Rose Geocoin:

The 2006 Alberta Wild Rose Geocoin

A Unique Approach

This geocoin sale will be password protected for a certain amount of time so that Albertan's have an opportunity to purchase this geocoin.

The thanks for this geocoin belong to geocachers from all over Alberta and it has been a long and interesting journey. This geocoin is a synthesis and it is also the work of an individual artist. It is a geocoin defined like no other, by a wealth of understanding and love. The 2006 Alberta Geocoin Working Group has approached this task with joy and it is our general and ever present love of geocaching you see reflected here, for an Albertan this coin is a true gem. We tried to add some of Alberta's geocaching history to this coin. It is our sincere hope that Albertans love this geocoin, we tried to make a coin that celebrated our province and it's place in this new age of the hunt. The Wild Rose has ever been our flower and it's pink blossoms are a tribute to our geocaching pioneers. In fashioning the details we tried to add a little bit of our home and our hunting ground, Alberta.

We put a lot of things into this coin and many of them are not readily apparent unless you are familiar with Alberta and the history of caching in our province.

We accepted the expertise and the support of the Geocoin Store and their knowledge and advice went into this coin as well, thanks Mike. We think some fanfare is really well deserved, this geocoin is the work of many. The 2006 Alberta Geocoin Working Group included a number of geocachers and I would like to thank them all. From Calgary, Alberta - Lemon Fresh Dog. From Edmonton, Alberta (has now moved to Quebec!) - Mr. Speedy's parade.

From Calgary, Alberta - nicolo. From Grande Prairie, Alberta - Gramma & Pat. From Edmonton, Alberta - Viajero Perdido. Thank you all very much. I would also like to thank Frog and Polywog from Cowley, Alberta, I wish you could have joined us for the whole journey.

The real credit for the design you see belongs to the artist behind the "Skeeter" coin, peanutbutterbreadandjam. Thanks Miles, this geocoin is delightful, whimsical and beautiful, it really says "Alberta".

wavector

Medicine Hat

September 30, 2006

"In token for the love which thou has Shown

For this wild land of freedom, I have Named

A Province vast, and for its beauty Famed,

By thy dear name to be hereafter Known.

Alberta shall it be!"

by John Campbell, Marquis of Lorne

Here is the Wild Rose icon that will accompany the geocoin. 993d5517-ffb4-4ba3-9c9c-573c0f943b30.jpg

To clarify:

This geocoin sale will be password protected for a certain amount of time so that Albertan's have an opportunity to purchase this geocoin.

If you are an Alberta geocacher feel free to contact any member of the working group to obtain the password to the sale. You can ask on the Alberta geocoin forum threads in Lethbridge, Edmonton or Calgary and you will receive an answer. Feel free to send an email using the geocaching.com website or even use the PM feature on this discsussion forum. The working group would like to strongly encourage all Albertans to make the effort to buy this geocoin.

The working group will be foregoing all profit on this geocoin, the entire proceeds from the sale of this geocoin will be realized as geocoins and all these geocoins will be given away.