Group Management

I have several waymarks that I get no response from the manager

This waymark manager for this waymark http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/details...ff-42e65880de30

has for some reason not even logged on in more than a month and the waymark was proposed Feb 1.

I also have had no response from this manager as to what may be wrong since the waymark has not been approved since Feb 22

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/details...31-17d288d02a14

I sure hope that the group management thing will alleviate this problem since everything I have read says 72 hours. I realize people go on vacation and things come up but something should be done about this.

Edited by chstress53

Although all of the waymarks I have submitted (so far) eventually did get approved, I understand your frustration. I had a few waymarks whose approval took much longer than I could have imagined.

With regard to the OP, I have yet to see a full description of how this will all work, bug I'm optimistic that group management will help improve waymark approval times for new categories created under that model.

I'm less optimistic that Groundspeak will be able to (or will even make an attempt to) retrofit all the existing categories (those created before group management is put in place), especially some of the original locationless caches which were rolled over to Waymarking last fall. The two categories which you are having trouble with are of this type (started life as locationless caches).

I am curious as to whether the plan is for all categories (even the 'old' ones) to eventually be brought into the group management model, or if some categories be allowed to remain under the control of single individuals.

I suspect we'll be hearing much more about this any day now.

We'll be hearing much more about this any day now, right? :(

1. Where does it say 72 hours? While I recognize that from being a volunteer cache reviewer, waymark category managers are not bound by the same standards. The only thing I could find in the Waymarking FAQ was this:

Why doesn’t my waymark show up in the directory?

Some category owners will opt to review all new submissions and will only accept waymarks that strictly adhere to their posted guidelines. Keep in mind that category owners usually have a job apart from Waymarking (hard to believe, we know) so it may take a short time for them to review your new waymark. You’ll be notified by email when your waymark is reviewed.

I support a loosey-goosey standard, having grown tired of complaints that "it's been 73 hours since I submitted my cache." The last time I was away from a computer for 72 hours was July 2005. That's not healthy. Group management will alleviate this concern for Waymarking.

2. For an extreme example of an absent category owner -- and extremely sad -- one of my friends passed away last fall. The local geo-community did a great job adopting all of his caches, but until recently we forgot about his Waymarking category. That's been fixed, and all the waymarks that had been waiting in the queue have now been listed. I'd like to thank OpinioNate for his prompt (same day) attention to taking care of that particular situation.

3. chstress53, in regard to your Newark Airport waymark, check the coordinates on the Google aerial photo. I don't see where the planes would land in that neighborhood!

4. I really like the design of the new category management system as previewed by OpinioNate in the other thread!!!

I am looking forward to the group management feature. I have a waymark that I submitted on 12/20/05 and haven't heard from the manager (who visits the site almost daily as far as I can tell) even though I emailed requesting guidance on how to improve the listing if it didn't meet his criteria. Last week I made another submission to a category and spent quite a bit of time on it. When I was getting ready to submit I noticed it was managed by the same individual. I almost just bagged it but thought maybe these will be transferred to someone else soon they will be up and running.

I also am encouraged by the outline OpinioNate gave.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you guy's have been having.

When I was asked to help manage the South Dakota Historic Markers Category I was really excited about it.

Just last night I got my first email saying a new waymark had been submitted to the South Dakota Historic Markers category.

Then later on I get a second one.

I am really glad to be able to help out and I would hope all others Waymarking category managers feel the same way.

I've been looking for a coherent explaination of why group capability was put into place, how it works and what the restrictions are. In particular, there's some 5-group limit. is that 5 groups managed? or a 5 group membership limit?

From what I gather...

The GROUP was set up for a few reasons. If the LEADER is not keeping up with Approving Waymarks, then one of the OFFICERS can step in and get it done. This also includes having a back-up person or people in the event that someone is away or sick. Basically it is a failsafe to ensure that the Category is managed.

The limit of 5 is to ensure that everyone gets a fair chance to own a Category. And some people might feel that five is the upper limit of what can be maintained. There are people out there that can handle more than 5, but this also kinda throttles the mass-developement of too many Categories. If you can only own a maximum of 5, you'll be more selective with what you really want to create. It also would reduce the likelyhood of Category Abandonement.

These were just my thoughts, I have no idea how accurate it is.

^_^ The Blue Quasar

Group capability was put into place because some categories were already 'dead' because the category owner was non-responsive to waymark submissions for whatever reason. There were lots of complaints. The group management requriement reduces the probability that a category will become 'dead'.

The way it works is that both leaders and officers can Approve or Decline waymark submissions. A leader can be voted out by a 2/3 majority of the officers (not including the leader, of course). The leader can choose whether or not officers can edit the category (change its requirements, variables, descriptions, etc.), whether or not officers can invite in new members, send group emails, and a couple of minor other things. There can be heirarchies of officers or even ranks invented by the leader.

A person can be leader of not more than 5 categories. This limit was 3 for a little while, then upgraded to 5.

A group can manage only 1 category.

A person can be officer of an infinite number of categories.

A group must consist of a leader and a minimum of 2 officers.

A group can have an infinite number of regular (non-officer/leader) members.

All officers have the capability to Approve or Deny waymark submissions. (The leader cannot remove this.)

Regular members have no powers at this time.

A leader or officer (if the leader allows officers to do so) can email either other officers, or both officers and regular mebers.

The group management idea has a lot going for it and seems like a nice idea. There is still one outstanding issue. What happens to a category when a leader doesn't review waymarks for a length of time and also doesn't get any group members.

I have two submissions to one such category and this kind of category seems to slip through the cracks.

Perhaps, there needs to be a point at which Waymarking.com can step in and solicit group members and perhaps even a new category owner in cases like this.

JDandDD

The group management idea has a lot going for it and seems like a nice idea. There is still one outstanding issue. What happens to a category when a leader doesn't review waymarks for a length of time and also doesn't get any group members.

I have two submissions to one such category and this kind of category seems to slip through the cracks.

Perhaps, there needs to be a point at which Waymarking.com can step in and solicit group members and perhaps even a new category owner in cases like this.

Eventually, there will be no active categories which aren't managed by (at least) a three person group. Most categories have already made the transition to group management, but as you have seen, there are a few that haven't.

I believe that in the cases where a single-owner category doesn't, or won't, make the conversion to a group plan, the site managers will step in and take action.

Related topic

Eventually, there will be no active categories which aren't managed by (at least) a three person group. Most categories have already made the transition to group management, but as you have seen, there are a few that haven't.

I believe that in the cases where a single-owner category doesn't, or won't, make the conversion to a group plan, the site managers will step in and take action.

Related topic

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Missed that one I guess. So that should take care of it.

JDandDD