Geocaching Store

codeman3

I hate buying things off the internet and giving them all my personal info. so instead of having a online catalog i think there should be a real gc store somewhere it would probably get more advertises and more people would pick up on the sport.

Just send me a signed check for $100 via regular mail and I'll buy you any Geocaching.com t-shirt or bumper sticker you want! :) You don't even have to include your return address if you don't want to release that personal information. :D

If it would work better for you, just put a bunch of cash (not cache) in an ammo can and hide it in the woods. Put your shopping list in the AC as well - and then email me the coords. I'll come get it and then put your "purchase" in the AC for you to retrieve... :D

Seriously - I have a relative who hates to use the web for purchases - so he gets all his web-enabled relatives to buy him everything he needs (holidays and such). Works great. Ironically, he got on my case for not filing my taxes on line this year :)

I hate buying things off the internet and giving them all my personal info. so instead of having a online catalog i think there should be a real gc store somewhere it would probably get more advertises and more people would pick up on the sport.

Maybe the sporting goods stores that sell gps units could sell geocaching items.

It would have been great to be able to pick up some TB tag when I bought my gps last weekend. :)

Geocaching is such a niche market that a "brick and morter" geocaching store would never make it.

I suggest that you try to get more comfortable with online shopping. Giving your credit card info online is no less or more safe than handing it to a gas station attedant.

In fact if your are dealing with a reputable online merchant it could be safer. Dishonest clerks have been known to have pocket scanning devices that allow them to swipe your card and steal your info.

Between Wal-Mart/Target, an electronics store, and a sporting goods store, shouldn't any one or a combination of these stores satisfy your geocaching needs? Such stores are everywhere now unless you're in someplace podunk. Shoot, Wal-Mart or Target might have everything a cacher needs. May not be the best variety, quality, or price, but think about it.

I'm wondering what on earth a brick and mortar geocaching store would be. It would have some motley assortment of electronics, outdoors gear, clothing, and containers. Sounds an awful lot like the discount retailers out there.

I am surprised that nobody's mentioned any of the existing real alternatives that would help the OP with his request. First, Groundspeak merchandise, such as travel bugs, stickers, etc., is often made available at event caches through bulk ordering. Thus I would direct the OP to search for nearby event caches, or to contact his local geo-org to set up a bulk purchase. This saves on shipping!

Second, there is the network of authorized Groundspeak resellers. Some of these are brick and mortar stores. See, for example, the Steel City Hobbies here in the Pittsburgh area, where I live. I understand that this Groundspeak concession is run by this geocacher. Ironically, this is the same cacher who held my travel bug hostage for 16 months until I persuaded a friend of his to return it to action. So, a guy can remove travel bugs from the game, and then sell new TB tags at a profit. What a country! :(

I know what you mean. If I'm going to be a frequent buyer I don't mind creating an account. If I'm going to buy something once and never see the site again I truly hate creating a throw away account just to buy something.

Last night I was impressed that the US Treasurery and Intuit both didn't require the creation of an account just to buy something.

Lep and others have pointed out the solution on some geocaching branded items. It's not uncommon for a bulk order to save on shipping. Then only one of you has to create and account or know someone who lives by the real store.

I wouldn't think there would be more than 2 or 3 stores nationwide, and the chances of one being in your area (or close to your area) would be slim, so you'd still have to order online.

Have your parents order. Nobody from Groundspeak is going to come to your door with a knife in the middle of the night.

:(

See if your bank card has a one-time purchase plan. You can make a card from your "regular" credit card or bank account with just enough $ to make a buy and the card is valid for 1 month. I set my MOM up with that option and she actually uses it!

As far as a Geocaching store... I think it would be next to Ned Flander's Leftorium.

Between Wal-Mart/Target, an electronics store, and a sporting goods store, shouldn't any one or a combination of these stores satisfy your geocaching needs? Such stores are everywhere now unless you're in someplace podunk. Shoot, Wal-Mart or Target might have everything a cacher needs. May not be the best variety, quality, or price, but think about it.

Well, there are some GCing type items I WOULDN"T expect to see in such stories:

*any geocaching-related stickers

*t-shirts, hats, pins, and various other gc-ing related swag and such

*small, aluminium micro containers. (the only source I have been able to find for these are the on-line stories that cater to us.

I'm wondering what on earth a brick and mortar geocaching store would be. It would have some motley assortment of electronics, outdoors gear, clothing, and containers. Sounds an awful lot like the discount retailers out there.

I would think a local store catering to outdoors (Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas, REI, etc etc) could easily add a small section for GCing specific items.