Garmin X Series 2.62 Beta Released

http://www.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

Dated the 9th, but released today.

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.62:

* Improve path nighttime color for map Topo Great Britian v2.

* Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

* Add MPC map support.

* Enhance layout and functionality of tide station chart information.

* Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe.

* Improve Search City By-Name feature to use all available maps.

* Add alert circles support.

* Add support for detecting the presence of routable NT maps.

* Improve aesthetics of airport information display.

* Add custom MDB feature support.

* Add support for g2 Bluecharts during map selection.

* Fix UTC offset for Las Vegas time zone.

* Improve reset function of timer lap distance.

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:

* Fixed compatibility issues with preprogrammed data cards. Some cards may not unlock properly with software version 2.40.

I find this an interesting list. If they do tracks to card, perhaps waypoints on card is around the corner. I don't know what several of these things mean, but routable NT maps is perhaps a sign of what the next mainstream Mapsend ill look like.

It's also interesting what isn't in this list. The lithium and "tunnel" problems get mentioned a lot on the list here, but they aren't in that list. So if you're affected by those or other problems, download the beta, confirm it's still broken, and send your feedback to the given mailing address.

Edited by robertlipe

Well, the only thing I can tell has changed is the save tracks to card function. It adds a "Data Card Setup" option in the "Setup" menu of the "Tracks" menu. There you'll find the option to "Save Tracks to Data Card", a graph showing used space on the card, a "Delete All" button and a list of "Data Card Tracks" which are saved as .gpx files. You can still send the tracks to MapSource as "Active Log XXX". I don't have a card reader (yet), but I assume you'd be able to see and copy the .gpx files from the card. New "Active Log" entries are added to the original existing .gpx file when the unit is powered off and then restarted. A new .gpx file is created if the unit is powered off, and then powered on after midnight following the creation of the previous file.

As for the other items, I couldn't find anything about "MPC Map support" or "Custom MDB" feature. I've never used any of the other functions that have been fixed or enhanced.

The problem with invisible Custom POI icons, and Custom POI "Find By Name" function has NOT been fixed. I'll check the reception after tunnel issue tomorrow morning.

Let us know if it saves the WHOLE track log without filtering or if it filters the size down. Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "filtering". Date, time, speed, altitude and leg information is all there. You still have a separate option to "Save" a track which will no doubt parse that data as it normally would. It appears that saved tracks are still saved in internal memory. After saving my tracks, nothing is added to the .gpx file and no new .gpx file appears. Both Active Log and Saved tracks are transferred to MapSource when downloading tracks. As the update information says, "Add feature to save active track log..." means just the Active Log.

6d7ee071-bd68-44e6-838a-f4ce28f31d1f.jpgc49d76a5-3810-400c-ac4e-fca0607e0d89.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

Try downloading it again and overwrite the one you've already downloaded. For some reason, just about every time I try to download a file from Garmin's Web site, it doesn't download properly. It seems to download waaaaaayyyy too fast, and the file doesn't work. Downloading the file a second time as described seems to always work like a charm for me.

The file is supposed to be a 1.96MB exe file. It'll create three other files - one of which is the "updater.exe" file. Run that with your GPSr connected to the computer and it'll update the firmware as desired.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Not sure what you mean by "filtering". Date, time, speed, altitude and leg information is all there. You still have a separate option to "Save" a track which will no doubt parse that data as it normally would. It appears that saved tracks are still saved in internal memory. After saving my tracks, nothing is added to the .gpx file and no new .gpx file appears. Both Active Log and Saved tracks are transferred to MapSource when downloading tracks. As the update information says, "Add feature to save active track log..." means just the Active Log.

If I understand this correctly......you now have the option to "save tracks" as usual, which would reduce them down to a max of 500 track points per track and eliminate some of the data,or......save the "active" tracklog to the memory card and retain all the data? Kinda the best of both worlds !

There are sometimes when it really isn't be necessary to retain all the data so those could be just "saved" into internal memory.

Can you see any reason you can"t save multiple "active" tracklogs individually to the card?

If I understand this correctly......you now have the option to "save tracks" as usual, which would reduce them down to a max of 500 track points per track and eliminate some of the data,or......save the "active" tracklog to the memory card and retain all the data? Kinda the best of both worlds !

You understand correctly. But also, after doing a "Saving Track", the active logs are still retained in memory until the track log is cleared. It's been a long time since I've saved a track that I don't know if it was like that before or not.

Can you see any reason you can"t save multiple "active" tracklogs individually to the card?

You don't really have any control over active log file creation. It's all automated. A new active log is created when the unit is powered on or regain's reception after signal interruption. And a new .gpx file is created if the unit is powered on after midnight. You basically have control over only whether the active log is stored in memory or on the card.

Not sure what you mean by "filtering". Date, time, speed, altitude and leg information is all there. You still have a separate option to "Save" a track which will no doubt parse that data as it normally would.

Normally when you "save" a track it filters it down to 500 points. The active log is 10000 points, so huge amounts of accuracy are lost. My question is whether saving to the data card saves the whole 10000 points, or a filtered down amount.

Since I only have a 76CS and not an "x" and can't do this myself..... try this.....I know you don't have any control over the "creation" of the active track log, but once it is saved to the card, I doubt seriously if saving another one is going to delete the first one.

Do an experiment. Download the active tracklog and save it to the card. Then clear the tracklog ,"clear entire tracklog?" "Yes" , go out and record another track and then download the active tracklog again and save it to the card.

I'll bet you still have the first one saved on the card with all data intact, and then you'll also have the second one saved with all it's data also,but only back to the point where you cleared the "entire tracklog". Two separate and distinct tracks with complete data, not pared down to 500 points or data stripped away.

Grasscatcher, I would love to see you proved correct. One of my own personal gripes about the 60 series has been its limited track storage capability. Others seem to want the ability to store more than 1000 waypoints (on an SD card, for example). That's a non-issue to me, especially now that thousands of POIs can be stored on the 60x. However, the old (and new 60x?) 60s will only hold 20 stored tracks of 500 waypoints each. I use tracks as trails and boundaries, and often have a need to load more than 20 tracks, and more than 500 points each.

If there is a way to load more than 20 tracks and have them stored on the micro SD card, I'll jump back flips. Perhaps the steps are: load multiple tracks as "active log 001", "active log 002" and so forth to the GPS, save the entire Active Log to the SD card, and then clear the track log.

You don't really have any control over active log file creation. It's all automated. A new active log is created when the unit is powered on or regain's reception after signal interruption. And a new .gpx file is created if the unit is powered on after midnight. You basically have control over only whether the active log is stored in memory or on the card.

Can I respectfully disagree? Are the "x"'s really that much different?

Yes , the active track creation is automatic,. Any time the unit is locked on , it is creating the "breadcrumb trail". If you shut the unit off and then turn it back on in a different location, the GPSr connects the two locations with a straight line "BC" trail. This active track log is continued as one trail until the tracklog limit is reached ,and if you have "wrap when full" option selected. it adds points on the "latest" end of the track and takes points off the "earliest' end. This can span a "several day" time period.

OR.....you can start a NEW "active tracklog" at any time by clearing the entire tracklog.

My 76CS has a "percentage" bar meter graph on the "Tracks" page that shows how much of the internal 10,000 trackpoint limit has been used. When the entire tracklog is cleared , that goes back to "0"

If I am incorrect in this method of operation, someone please let me know.

If there is a way to load more than 20 tracks and have them stored on the micro SD card, I'll jump back flips. Perhaps the steps are: load multiple tracks as "active log 001", "active log 002" and so forth to the GPS, save the entire Active Log to the SD card, and then clear the track log.

GeoBobC, note the screen shot above......it saves the "active" track not as "active log" but as a "date" .gpx. That's what caught my attention, because if you just "save" a track in memory, that's the naming format it uses. I'm guessing that you won't have to do anything special for naming on the card either. The next one should be named "Date (2).gpx.

"Different strokes...." . I don't need to load more than 20 tracks at a time , but I SURE would enjoy not being limited to 500 pts / track when saved, and like the idea of retaining all the data.

If it indeed works,these are the kind of features that might cause my billfold to get flatter........

Can I respectfully disagree? Are the "x"'s really that much different?

Yes , the active track creation is automatic,. Any time the unit is locked on , it is creating the "breadcrumb trail". If you shut the unit off and then turn it back on in a different location, the GPSr connects the two locations with a straight line "BC" trail. This active track log is continued as one trail until the tracklog limit is reached ,and if you have "wrap when full" option selected. it adds points on the "latest" end of the track and takes points off the "earliest' end. This can span a "several day" time period.

OR.....you can start a NEW "active tracklog" at any time by clearing the entire tracklog.

My 76CS has a "percentage" bar meter graph on the "Tracks" page that shows how much of the internal 10,000 trackpoint limit has been used. When the entire tracklog is cleared , that goes back to "0"

I agree with what you say. Yes, you can control it by powering the unit on and off and clearing the active log.

What I meant was that you have no control over going into a menu and starting a new "Active Log 005", or going to another menu and starting a new .gpx file on the card (that I know of at this point).

My hunch is that each .gpx file can contain an entire active log of 10,000 track points EACH, and that you can rack up as many .gpx files as your data card storage will allow. I could definitely be wrong about that though.

Edited by Neo_Geo

"If you shut the unit off and then turn it back on in a different location, the GPSr connects the two locations with a straight line "BC" trail."

Hmmm...I am quite certain my 60c starts a new track log when powered on/off. I know it does when losing a satellite lock: it creates "Active Log 002", etc. When I download to Mapsource I see multiple active tracks, not one contiguous track with a straight line connecting them.

We are both right....I forgot that it depends on the software the GPSR is being downloaded into. Mapsource makes individual separate active logs. NG Topo leaves it as a single tracklog , all tied together between "off" and "On" points.

Mapsource, being Garmin, probably understands Garmin language better and "Knows" that the unit has been turned off and on. But on the other hand, me being old and senile and having worked with TOPO a bunch, my mindset was on the TOPO results after having spent way too many hours editing and "cleaning up" those "tails" when downloading tracksonto USGS quads.

Finally got 2.62 to load.

Make a short track. I turned on tracking and turned on "save track to data card" and started track'in. When finished, I had a track called 03-16-06 in the track log and one called 20060316.gpx in data card setup.

I erased the one in the track log and tried to map the one in the data card. Only option there was to delete the file.

I transferred tracks to my pc using Mapsource. It did not see the one on my data card.

It looks like the only thing I can do with the one on the data card is to delete it???????

When finished, I had a track called 03-16-06 in the track log

That is a "saved track" stored in the unit's internal memory. You get 20 of those, and they do not contain all of the data in the Active Log. Date, time, and speed information is deleted and it can contain a maximum of 500 track points.

and one called 20060316.gpx in data card setup.

That's the Active Log stored on the memory card.

I erased the one in the track log and tried to map the one in the data card. Only option there was to delete the file.

Yep - that's about all you can do with it on the GPSr.

I transferred tracks to my pc using Mapsource. It did not see the one on my data card.

Would that be because you had deleted the .gpx file before uploading to MapSource?

"Make a short track. I turned on tracking and turned on "save track to data card" and started track'in. When finished, I had a track called 03-16-06 in the track log and one called 20060316.gpx in data card setup."

So then - could someone load multiple (let's say 21) "Active Log xxx" tracks from Mapsource into the 60x, and then "save track to data card" and end up with 21 distinct tracks on the card? Also, do we know if each of the tracks saved to the data card is truncated to 500 points?

Just send the tracks to MapSource like you normally would. You should get both the active logs and saved tracks if you have any of each...

Thats it - send 'em to the computer or delete them - that's all you could do with them before. The only difference now is in where they're stored, and if you have a card reader, you can pull the card out and copy the .gpx files (I guess) - and store multiple .gpx files on the card.

I think they did a pretty good job in how it appears seamless to the user when uploading to MapSource. But then again, I only tried it with one .gpx file and a saved track. We'll have to see what happens with multiple .gpx files on the same card...

If we can indeed get 10,000 tracks for each .gpx file, that would absolutely ROCK!

So then - could someone load multiple (let's say 21) "Active Log xxx" tracks from Mapsource into the 60x, and then "save track to data card" and end up with 21 distinct tracks on the card? Also, do we know if each of the tracks saved to the data card is truncated to 500 points?

You don't "save the active log" to the card. You select where the log is stored (card or internal memory) as a user preference. If you save an active log, it'll become a truncated "saved track" no matter where it was stored.

I'm gonna get my GPSr to track 1 point every second - that should fill up the log in about 3 hours or so... then we'll have some test data! :(

Edited by Neo_Geo

Grasscatcher -

You can turn off track logging off tracklog.jpgat the top of the 60cx screen.

"Make a short track. I turned on tracking and turned on "save track to data card" and started track'in. When finished, I had a track called 03-16-06 in the track log and one called 20060316.gpx in data card setup."

There is no "Save Track to Data Card". Only the active track (the one being logged at the time) is written to the data card. It looks to me like the active track is being written to both the internal memory, and to the data card in gpx format (both at the same time). But since there is no way to download the gpx file (other than with a MicroSD reader on your pc) you can't see what's in the gpx file to tell what it has in it!!!!!!!!

And, right now, you can't even load one of the gpx track files to map it or start following the track. Mapsource doesn't even look at the flash card to see what it has (for tracks).

I suspect Garmin put out this beta just to get feedback. Looks to me like they're in a quandry on how to proceed with this thing! The are still a lot of menu options they need to add and changes needed for Mapsource. I guess they could always lease rights for the data handling patents from Magellan! :(

And, right now, you can't even load one of the gpx track files to map it or start following the track. Mapsource doesn't even look at the flash card to see what it has (for tracks).

I don't have that problem. When I send my tracks to Mapsource, I get both the active log from the data card and saved tracks as well. Perhaps you're expecting a window to pop up with a .gpx file when you plug in your GPSr to the computer or something. I don't think it's like that. You just hook up your GPSr, send the tracks to MapSource as you normally would, and you'll see the tracks as you normally would! The ONLY difference I see is the .gpx files as shown in Post #5, and I have the ability to delete those files on the GPSr. That's it...

You can't view your saved tracks on the gps map? :(

Yes, you can view them - on the GPSr and MapSource.

Edited by Neo_Geo

OK, here is the gpx file that was stored on the card.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mike_in_katy/Pl...od/20060316.gpx

The file was stored in the root directory of the card. While I had the card in my reader, I copied another gpx file to the root directory. When I put the card back in the GPSr both the old and the new files showed up in the data card setup screen. But, I could find no options for doing anything with them other than to delete them.

I think they aught to put the files into a directory called TRACKS of something similar, and then into folders within TRACKS of the users choosing. Basically, let the user choose the directory structure they want within TRACKS. I, for one, would like to store several different layers and levels of tracks for each geographical area.

Then allow the user to choose the track they wish to 'follow' from the directory structure.

Basically just a simple directory structure of the users choosing.

I don't have that problem. When I send my tracks to Mapsource, I get both the active log from the data card and saved tracks as well. Perhaps you're expecting a window to pop up with a .gpx file when you plug in your GPSr to the computer or something. I don't think it's like that. You just hook up your GPSr, send the tracks to MapSource as you normally would, and you'll see the tracks as you normally would! The ONLY difference I see is the .gpx files as shown in Post #5, and I have the ability to delete those files on the GPSr. That's it...

You can't view your saved tracks on the gps map? :(

Yes, you can view them - on the GPSr and MapSource.

What I mean is that Mapsource is not seeing these files.

shot2.jpg

When I used Mapsource to send a new gpx track to the GPSr, it put it into the active track log with no option to put it to the SD card.

OK, here is the gpx file that was stored on the card.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mike_in_katy/Pl...od/20060316.gpx

A big question mark??? :(

I think they aught to put the files into a directory called TRACKS of something similar, and then into folders within TRACKS of the users choosing. Basically, let the user choose the directory structure they want within TRACKS. I, for one, would like to store several different layers and levels of tracks for each geographical area.

Then allow the user to choose the track they wish to 'follow' from the directory structure.

Basically just a simple directory structure of the users choosing.

So you're thinkin' go into "Data Card Tracks" on the GPSr, select a .gpx file and then do a trackback of the data in that file...?

That'd be nice to be able to do that, but I think the idea behind this function is to allow users to save more tracks rather than being limited to the 10,000 points in the unit's internal memory.

But the idea of tracking back to "Point A" is that you have tracks leading up to where you are now at "Point B", and you want to retrace your steps to go back to where you started from at "Point A". The trackback function accomplishes this. Who wants to be at "Point B", select a track containing "Point J" to get back to "Point K"? If I was at "Point B" and I wanted to get to "Point K", I'd create a waypoint at "Point K" and do a "Go To"...

What I mean is that Mapsource is not seeing these files.

MapSource sees the DATA from those files. Once the data is in MapSource, you're free to save that data as a .gpx file anywhere on your computer...

Edited by Neo_Geo

" I don't have a card reader (yet), but I assume you'd be able to see and copy the .gpx files from the card. "

Heres what I don't understand. My cell has the same type micro flash card as 60csx (motorola v635). If I connect my cell via USB to a comp the card is shown as a removbale drive without any reader in /MY COMPUTER/. It functions just like any other rewritable media then. WHy is the 60'csx card not showing when the unit is connected via usb is beoyond me. I actually think they made it 'ivisible' on purpose.

Probably because users (in their infinite wisdom) decide they don't like the file structure that Garmin established for their units to read, so they move the files around. Then the GPSr can no longer see the files where the user put them, and the user complains that their GPSr is broken because they can't see the tracks any more! :(

Edited by Neo_Geo

No Clue! :(

But I noticed the difference:

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.62:

Improve aesthetics of airport information display.

It used to be that when looking at an airport, the map just showed runways and taxiways as open white areas. Now, where you have maps loaded, the runways and taxiways are filled-in black and show terminal buildings as well. Very easy to see!

Edited by Neo_Geo

" I don't have a card reader (yet), but I assume you'd be able to see and copy the .gpx files from the card. "

Heres what I don't understand. My cell has the same type micro flash card as 60csx (motorola v635). If I connect my cell via USB to a comp the card is shown as a removbale drive without any reader in /MY COMPUTER/. It functions just like any other rewritable media then. WHy is the 60'csx card not showing when the unit is connected via usb is beoyond me. I actually think they made it 'ivisible' on purpose.

Yeah, I agree. They should let you see it as just another drive letter. I have never agreed with the 'protectionism' mentality. But, I don't sell stuff to the masses, so what do I know!

Also, seems like after the Garmin USB driver was loaded, that that port on my pc will now only read at USB1 speed. I have lots of things I plug into that USB port and don't like them changing it to the old protocol, if that is the case. I have not had problems before reading USB1 devices on a USB2 port; they just read slower than the USB2 devices.

Interesting update, but I'm sure they are not done yet with the improvements, since this is only a beta firmware.

It is now available for the 76 x series now too.

I like this better than waiting for an eXplorist update, because those are few and far between, and I will be patient and wait for improvements on the firmware of the X-series

Edited by GOT GPS?

Proximity "alert circles"? They exist today on the 60c: they display as a circle around a waypoint that has a proximity set. The radius of the circle is set by the user.

One feature I pinged Garmin about a year ago or so was the ability to set proximity alerts not just on individual waypoints, but on entire classes of waypoints (like geocaches). So far though, no show.

TM

You can sort of set proximity on groups of waypoints in Mapsource. Highlight the multiple waypoints, select "Waypoint Properties", and enter a proximity value. The only rub is that is must be in miles. If they would fix that, it should solve your request.

Yes, only in miles, but within your unit you can set it down to 0.01 mi (52.8 feet), and I found you can set the proximity in MapSource (beta version) to decimal miles (example: 43 feet = 0.008144 mi) and it will create the circle correctly. What I haven't tried yet is to see if it retains this when uploaded.

Well folks, back on the subject of track logs on the card...

I ran up the active log to its maximum of 10,000 points, and it would not generate a new log file. It just turned the logging off because I did not have the "Wrap when full" option selected. Of course wrapping when full does no good.

So at this point, when you're running low on your 10,000 track points, and you don't have a computer around, you gotta swap out memory cards if you don't want to delete your existing tracks. Still gives a little more flexibility - and better than carrying a laptop around all over the place.

I dunno - maybe a new file will be created tomorrow by the change of dates, but I kind'a doubt it. Perhaps a little more to come in the next update(s)...

Hi!

I made a test logging 1/second

It had to run over night but stopped at 22:44:19 UTC after 20360 records.

94% full on mSD

In the mornig it took 2-3 seconds when i hit any key until there was any reaction.

I powered the unit off and on.

a new .GPX was generated automatically.

Maybe the limit will be on 20360 records or there is any other reason why it stopped recording and it is going to be slower.

It was NOT possible to open the .gpx with MS 6.9.1 or MS 6.10.03Beta

I opened it with g7towin (no problem) and saved it as an .GPX (same extension, different name)

Now it was able to open with MS.

Loggin features:

Wrap when full

Record Method TIME (every 1 second)

Log Track to Data Card (94% full on 512 mSD card)

Can anyone confirm this?

Interesting observation this morning. I have TRACK LOG turned off and LOG TRACK TO DATA CARD turned on. This morning, in DATA CARD SETUP, it is showing a 20060317.gpx file. TRACK LOG has been turned off since yesterday afternoon. I just turned the unit on about 1 hr ago.

So, is it logging tracks to just the MicroSD card? If so, will it have the ~10,000 point limit? There must not be an Active Track Log in the internal memory as the SAVE option there is grayed out.

My impression was that with TRACK LOG turned off, that ALL tracking was ceased. But, I guess that might be wrong??

BTW, when I viewed the MicroSD with my puter (K drive), I just dragged the file and dropped it onto my text editor icon. I use Windows Explorer but My Computer would work the same.

I guess I don't understand the problem with a 10,000 point limit. If you set the unit to record a track point every 0.01 mile, that would record a track 100 miles long. If your taking a long motor trip, just set the interval to 1 mile or 0.1 mile. Am I missing something here?

I guess I don't understand the problem with a 10,000 point limit. If you set the unit to record a track point every 0.01 mile, that would record a track 100 miles long. If your taking a long motor trip, just set the interval to 1 mile or 0.1 mile. Am I missing something here?

Yes, some people are trying to map trails and such that are not currently on Garmin maps. It is important to keep accuracy. Normally the 10000 points is good for a day of hiking, but if you are out for a week, it just does not cut it.