Mt St Helens To Open?

Criminal

With there being cell phone coverage up there, some group should plan ahead and have their picture captured while they are on the rim from the Johnston Ridge Observatory Webcam. <_<

I had the same idea before my climb. Even thought about bringing my hot pink sarong to show up better. But then I thought about it being 5 miles away (I think) and decided the odds of anything showing were pretty slim. So, aside from that - I was obviously looking at a webcam shot before hiking was allowed, so no-one was on top. Do people actually show on that webcam now?

With there being cell phone coverage up there, some group should plan ahead and have their picture captured while they are on the rim from the Johnston Ridge Observatory Webcam. :laughing:

I had the same idea before my climb. Even thought about bringing my hot pink sarong to show up better. But then I thought about it being 5 miles away (I think) and decided the odds of anything showing were pretty slim. So, aside from that - I was obviously looking at a webcam shot before hiking was allowed, so no-one was on top. Do people actually show on that webcam now?

Isn't that like the saying "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, will it make a sound?"

Maybe someone has to try it to see if it can be done. Either that or find a real math wiz that can calculate based on color, distance, and air clarity how big one would have to be and what color someone would have to wear to be seen on the volcanocam.

Russ

With there being cell phone coverage up there,

A heads up on the cell coverage: It seems that the Cingular tower on the north side of Lake Merwin is within range but that a few other service providers' towers are out of range. The climbers with the fancy phones and the wrong provider had to borrow my old Nokia pay-as-you-go phone that has AT&T stenciled on the front in order to connect.

What was that artist's name that stretched colorful fabric in various public placed. Maybe Nolenator can haul a few dozen yards of some bright fabric for the group to stretch out across the south rim :(

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Just curious whether anyone has been able to identify the Johnston Ridge Observatory from the rim?

It hasn't been cloudless on my 2 climbs, but on the first climb I would have expected to be able to spot it, but couldn't. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right direction.

I looked hard for it too, but didn't see anything. Mainly I was looking for a sun glint off a windshield, but didn't see any. The cars and one outhouse at Climber's Bivouac were clearly visible from up high, though.

Here's a pretty good graphic of how much of the mountain was lost from the eruption ( the colored part) in 3 slide blocks. From nearly 10,000' down to just over 8,000'.

That just means we'll get to the top sooner ;) 9 days and counting. We had one subsitution Cacheahead will be taking Runhills spot. Everyone ready??

Me and my daugther

Hydnsek

Og's and son

Eraseek

evergreenhiker!

CacheAhead

AndrewRJ

Square Bear

Nolenator

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. So what's the plan? I work on friday till about 6pm. I would love to carpool with someone as how someday I'll get a trustworthy car (but got a kid in college right now). If not, it'll probably make it and I do have a fire extinguisher in my back seat. I could handle going down either late friday, or very early on saturday. Hopefully we are planning to have an early trail start. I'll bring my walker :)

What is the current idea on meeting? Do we all need to do something other than just sign the register at jacks if even that? Is one person holding all the permits or do we need to pick them up ourselves. (sorry if I wasn't listening up to this point.)

Visitors to the area might want to make a side trip to Eagle's Cliff - an easy drive up FR90 (paved), a fun short hike and great view.
You're suggesting a casual 500-foot elevation gain hike after climbing Mt St Helens? When I get off that mountain, it's all I can do just to work the pedals in the car on the way home.

I think he was suggesting a warm up hike for the day before

Or a cool down the day after <_<

Thanks. Here's the link: http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf...ctop&coll=7

Also from a 2000 report from UC Davis:

The California tortoiseshell (Nymphalis californica) is about half the size of a monarch butterfly. Like the monarch, it is orange and black on its upper surface; unlike the monarch, it is wood-brown below.

Most tortoiseshell butterflies migrate in spring from California's Coast Range and Sierra foothills, where they overwinter, to breeding grounds in the Sierra. By mid- to late July, grandchildren of the winter adults are emerging from pupae at around 7,000 feet and heading for the very high country, above the tree line.

"In an outbreak year, millions of these butterflies will head for the mountaintops at once,"

Edited by EraSeek
The local newspaper (The Oregonian) ran a story today about the huge population of orange butterflies on/around Mt Hood and Mt Jefferson.
They were all over South Sister last weekend, too. I've never seen anything like it. If they had a taste for human blood, we would have been in big trouble.

Thanks. Here's the link: http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf...ctop&coll=7

Also from a 2000 report from UC Davis:

The California tortoiseshell (Nymphalis californica) is about half the size of a monarch butterfly. Like the monarch, it is orange and black on its upper surface; unlike the monarch, it is wood-brown below.

Most tortoiseshell butterflies migrate in spring from California's Coast Range and Sierra foothills, where they overwinter, to breeding grounds in the Sierra. By mid- to late July, grandchildren of the winter adults are emerging from pupae at around 7,000 feet and heading for the very high country, above the tree line.

"In an outbreak year, millions of these butterflies will head for the mountaintops at once,"

That is really cool, I am so glad I was there to see it.

looked at the cam. She's smokin today.

And some activity:

2.2 2006/10/01 05:52:26 46.196N 122.187W 0.0 1 km ( 0 mi) SW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

3.1 2006/10/01 05:46:39 46.199N 122.190W 0.0 1 km ( 0 mi) W of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

1.3 2006/10/01 04:33:16 46.196N 122.196W 1.1 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

2.3 2006/10/01 04:25:38 46.195N 122.195W 0.2 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

3.2 2006/10/01 00:04:00 46.194N 122.198W 0.0 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

looked at the cam. She's smokin today.

And some activity:

2.2 2006/10/01 05:52:26 46.196N 122.187W 0.0 1 km ( 0 mi) SW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

3.1 2006/10/01 05:46:39 46.199N 122.190W 0.0 1 km ( 0 mi) W of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

1.3 2006/10/01 04:33:16 46.196N 122.196W 1.1 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

2.3 2006/10/01 04:25:38 46.195N 122.195W 0.2 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

3.2 2006/10/01 00:04:00 46.194N 122.198W 0.0 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

Is this an increase in recent activity? It's kinda funny that just this weekend there was a story about how the mountain's dome-building activity is tapering off a bit and that there hasn't been much seismic activity!