Mt St Helens To Open?

Criminal

Are there any restrictions/repurcussions for reserving more permits than you actually end up using? I am thinking of getting permits for multiple days, probably Fridays in late May and early June in hopes of hitting a day with good weather (Fridays may even end up being a decent day for getting a walk-up permit at Jack's)

Are there any restrictions/repurcussions for reserving more permits than you actually end up using? I am thinking of getting permits for multiple days, probably Fridays in late May and early June in hopes of hitting a day with good weather (Fridays may even end up being a decent day for getting a walk-up permit at Jack's)

I don't think so, that's how people get a permit on the day of the hike, cancellations. I am doubtful that you'll get any day reserved for any earlier than mid august though. I was reading over on the Northwest hiker's forum that it's getting booked solid.

I am doubtful that you'll get any day reserved for any earlier than mid august though. I was reading over on the Northwest hiker's forum that it's getting booked solid.

According to the calendar on the Mt St Helens page, there are just a handful of Saturdays booked solid. Of course, this data may lag reality by a bit. I'll be sending in a handful of permit requests.

I emailed the Chief Climbing and Backcountry Ranger asking about the possibilities of the mountain being opened for climbing and whether the fin will affect that decision. He said that currently the fin isn't influencing the decision, but if it gets high enough it could. Currently the best-case date for opening is July 1st. Definitely not before then.

Update to add that I can shred all of my Climbing Permit Applications

Edited by pdxmarathonman

I emailed the Chief Climbing and Backcountry Ranger asking about the possibilities of the mountain being opened for climbing and whether the fin will affect that decision. He said that currently the fin isn't influencing the decision, but if it gets high enough it could. Currently the best-case date for opening is July 1st. Definitely not before then.

Update to add that I can shred all of my Climbing Permit Applications

Dang

I talked with a coworker who talked with a ranger in the Mt St Helens program. The reason we can't start climbing until July is because of the %$#@ federal bureaucracy. The contract with Jack's Restaurant expired when the mountain was closed, and now they can't just open a new contract with Jack's, they have to put it out for bid. They won't have a new contract until July. Worse, the criterion for choosing a bid is maximal revenue, not climber convenience. Dozens of wannabes have submitted bids. Some of them are many miles away from Cougar.

Oh well. It looks like I'll get to use my permit for September.

I talked with a coworker who talked with a ranger in the Mt St Helens program. The reason we can't start climbing until July is because of the %$#@ federal bureaucracy. The contract with Jack's Restaurant expired when the mountain was closed, and now they can't just open a new contract with Jack's, they have to put it out for bid. They won't have a new contract until July. Worse, the criterion for choosing a bid is maximal revenue, not climber convenience. Dozens of wannabes have submitted bids. Some of them are many miles away from Cougar.

Oh well. It looks like I'll get to use my permit for September.

'cuz going to -ack's was convenient? :o:sad:

I got the following response from the Backcountry Ranger to my question about the recent activity reported on the mountain and the fact that I have a permit for July 2nd:

I do not expect that the recent 3.1 earthquake will significantly change

access. We have earthquakes of that magnitude every few days or so. This

one was noteworthy in that it was followed by a collapse of a portion of

the newly formed lava spine and an ash plume.

We are moving towards opening the volcano to climbing, however it may or

may not occur by July 2.

I have permits for 4 other dates as well :)

He declined to address my inquiry regarding the bidding of the contract :laughing:

Here is the latest.

Mount St. Helens Is Currently Closed to Climbing

Updated: 31 May 2006 - Mount St. Helens is currently closed to climbing due to volcanic activity.

USDA Forest Service officials have temporarily suspended issuing advance reservations for climbing Mount St. Helens. Monument officials are currently evaluating changes to the current two-step process where climbers first obtain a reservation and then purchase their permit at a later date. “As we move toward reopening climbing we are looking at simplifying the process to combine the reservation and permit purchase in a single transaction,” said Tom Mulder, Monument Manager. “We are working hard to develop a system that will serve climbers and increase the efficiency of our climbing program. In order to focus our services on the ground where they need to be, we are also looking at the use of a third party vendor to operate the permit system and implementation of a per permit transaction fee,” Mulder added.

Mount St. Helens Climbing Program Facts

Mount St. Helens Climbing remains closed and no date for reopening has been announced.

When the reservation system is reopened, climbing reservations and purchase will be offered through a third party vendor as a single transaction. A per permit service fee will be charged.

Under the new system, existing reservations for dates after climbing resumes will be given priority and reservation holders will be contacted first and given an opportunity to purchase their permits in advance.

Specific details as to how the reservation and permit program will operate are still being worked out.

I can't believe our government is so incompetent that they can't even figure out how to issue permits themselves. Can't wait to hear how much the service fee is going to be.

I purchased a $30 NW Forest Pass so I could camp in the sand when I go to the coast with my quads. They then decided they needed to have all sites reservable. So now to camp in the sand I get to pay $10 and then a nice little $9 service fee. :laughing:

Here is the latest.

We are working hard to develop a system that will serve climbers and increase the efficiency of our climbing program. In order to focus our services on the ground where they need to be, we are also looking at the use of a third party vendor to operate the permit system and implementation of a per permit transaction fee

I can't believe our government is so incompetent that they can't even figure out how to issue permits themselves.

This seems reasonable to me. When greedy climbers reserve 4, 5 or even 6 dates :laughing: it kind of locks out others from reserving those dates even though said climber is only going to use one of the 6 permits :)

If there is a small fee, maybe fewer permits would be reserved, making it fairer to all.

Hey, MA, are we still on for Aug. 19 with the permit you got? Just wondering if it's a go and if I'm on the team. :)

You're on the list, but we're not on until the FS makes up thier minds. We'll see what the reservation is worth as the date nears.

But any activity is good on the FS part, once they get rolling they'll eventually figure something out.

I just got a call from the FS. They have made the decision to open climbing this summer!!!!!

They are targeting the end of July so my reservation is good <_<

They will be sending me more information about the new permit process soon.

Whoo hoo!! I better start training. :ph34r:

I just got a call from the FS. They have made the decision to open climbing this summer!!!!!

They are targeting the end of July so my reservation is good :o

They will be sending me more information about the new permit process soon.

There is no official date :unsure:

Any comments made were strictly off-the-record. Words like "mid-July or maybe later..." :D

My July 29th climb is starting to look real good!

Climbing starts on the 21st!!!!!

The Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument is planning to reopen climbing beginning

July 21, 2006.

Between July 7 and July 12, 2006 any persons who already have confirmed reservations for July 21 and later will have an opportunity to purchase their reserved climbing permits in advance.

Cost is $22 per climber. Any attempt to claim too many permits or people paying for permits before the 13th that do not have an advanced reservation will essentially be making a donation to the good folks at Mt St Helens (i.e. they will charge you, but you won't get the permit!)

Edited by pdxmarathonman

OK so now the rubber meets the road I have until July 12th to purchase the permits for August 19th.

After that time all previous reservations will be canceled. The climbing fee is still $15 but now there is an additional $7 non-refundable processing fee. The $15 is only refundable if they close the mountain again.

So I need $22 from each person that want's to accompany me on this adventure. I will front the money if you will confirm that you are going. I can only purchase 12 permits and I plan to use two of them.

So who's still in???

IN~! :rolleyes:

If there's room for one more, I'd like to take my son. :laughing:

Here is the list of people that had expressed interest. Please confirm or decline.

Me and my daugther - Confirmed

Hydnsek - Confirmed

Og's and son - Confirmed

Eraseek - Did you get the day off?

TotemLake - ??

evergreenhiker! - ??

Nolenator - ??

Square Bear - ??

AndrewRJ - ??

Team Jac'd (Poppa J) - ??

5 - ??

Team Wrastro (1 or 2) - ??

IN~! :rolleyes:

If there's room for one more, I'd like to take my son. :laughing:

Here is the list of people that had expressed interest. Please confirm or decline.

Hydnsek - Confirmed

Og's and son - Confirmed

Eraseek - Did you get the day off?

TotemLake - ??

evergreenhiker! - ??

Nolenator - ??

Square Bear - ??

AndrewRJ - ??

5 - ??

Out. I'm over extended on commitments.

Ok two days left for advance purchase and I've got 5 slots left (I don't have to buy them all though). I'll try emailing some of the folks.

Hydnsek - Confirmed

Og's and son - Confirmed

Eraseek - Confirmed

evergreenhiker! - Confirmed

Nolenator - ??

Square Bear - ??

AndrewRJ - ??

5 - ??

Ok two days left for advance purchase and I've got 5 slots left (I don't have to buy them all though). I'll try emailing some of the folks.

Hydnsek - Confirmed

Og's and son - Confirmed

Eraseek - Confirmed

Nolenator - ??

Square Bear - ??

AndrewRJ - ??

5 - ??

I know others have expressed interest before me but I will commit to filling a spot if you have room.

"Updated: 07 July 2006 - Mount St. Helens is currently closed to climbing due to volcanic activity.

Forest Service and Mount St. Helens Institute officials announce the reopening of the new climbing reservation system and the planned reopening of the volcano to climbing on July 21, 2006. "

I'll Enable on July 21.

Being the owner of this cache I suppose I should consider how to deal with the distinct possiblity of there being no cache to find at this point. I believe last time I asked Evergreenhiker to replace it when he went up. My inclination is to post a note on the page asking the first up to do the same and to still post a find. I'd hate to have anyone go to the effort without a find. A micro or very small painted lock-n-lock seems the best box to use. Does anyone have a problem with me requesting this, or are there any better thoughts on the subject?

I know others have expressed interest before me but I will commit to filling a spot if you have room.

I still have openings. If anyone else want s pipe up now's the time.

Hydnsek - Confirmed

Og's and son - Confirmed

Eraseek - Confirmed

Runhills - confirmed

AndrewRJ - Maybe

Square Bear - ??

5 - ??

If I read this right, the mountain will open on the 21st. It seems that MA has the 19th. Is that right?

MA's is August 19.

Rule #1: Read the whole thread

Rule #2: When you have a question follow Rule #1.

I'm glad that I was reading it wrong, not that I want to go, but some people may have mixed that up.