52rs?

blenz

To begin with I'm sorry if this has already been covered but I would like to learn more about what I found

Today while placing a cache I found a Bench mark at these coords N 47 09.785 W 122 01.759. It was labled 52RS and placed in 1941. After reading through a few posts I logged it onto Waymarking.com.

Here is my question is this a reference station therefor the 52 RS or is this the placers initials?

Why are so many Benchmarks not listed? Even if they are with the USGS?

Any other info is appreciated.

except I do know not to brush my teeth with a brick :anibad::lol:

thanks

have fun

(In order to log a benchmark at Waymarking.com, you must include a closeup picture of the disk.)

Both Reference disks and Azumuth mark disks have an arrow across the center of the disk. (The arrow will point to the main disk.) Also, if the disk is a Reference disk, the disk will say "REFERENCE" on it.

The NGS has certain requirements for stations to be included in their database. Often a disk exists and either its data doesn't meet the NGS requirements or no one ever submitted them to the NGS. There are hundreds of thousands of these.

The USGS is not the same government agency as the NGS; the USC&GS is the predecessor of the NGS, though.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), an agency in the Dept. of the Interior has the responsibility for producing our national topographic maps. They completed the monumental task of complete national mapping of the 1:24,000 scale map series (about 55,000 maps) in the early 1990's. USGS would often set survey monuments to help "control" the map. Maps are produced from aeronautical photos mosaiced together. In order to provide accurate location, orientation, scale and elevation to a flat map of a curved surface, it is required to have numerous points that can be identified on the photographs for which the coordinates/elevations are well known. The marks set by USGS were a vital part of this operation. In the days when mapping surveys were conducted primarily by line-of-site methods, these marks helped save money by helping to ensure a network that cartographers could rely on for mapping update procedures. With the rapid developments in surveying and mapping technology, especially GPS, USGS sees little need to setting new marks or maintaining the old networks. Unfortunately the data for tens of thousands of these marks set by USGS were never submitted to NGS for inclusion in the National Spatial Reference System. Due to major reductions in staff and the changing nature of mapping requirements, it is highly unlikely that USGS will ever automate these data.

USGS almost always used the crew leaders ignitals in the name for the mark. I this case RS and then number then in sequence. So there is likely a 51 RS and a 53 RS somewhere out there or once was.

Edited by Z15

Went and looked at it again but saw no line pointing anywhere just a scrap that looks like it was caused by a blade somehow (edger? we will never know :) ) As soon as I get my film back I will post a picture of it (if I can figure out how). If the picture doesn't come up on the forum I will at least get it up onto the Waymarking page.

Thanks for the info, It still amazes me how the digital age so completely caught so many industries off guard and still continues to transform our culture in surprising way

have fun

blenz

I don't think the digital age has caught the USGS offgaurd; notice the National Map Corps project. However, I imagine placing these disks online is a secondary priority to them, as probably they and certainly many of the smaller agencies (state DOTs, county surveyors) don't have the resources to digitze their listings. Many of them have, however, noting Zhanna's web page.