Caches In Oxford

Planning a wander to Oxford in two weeks and we know there are lots of caches there. Can anybody recommend any or is it a question of going through the cache pages?

We haven't been there before so don't even know parking etc. We have been advised to park and ride a bus in.

Also any recommendations for a nice meal, pub, cafe??? Don't mind!!

We are looking forward to a day out ina place we haven't been before.

Many thanks

We've potterd in Oxford when visiting family. We really enjoyed a lunch at The Trout and the nearby caches, Trout Trek and Godstow Abbey[/i, Treacle well is also pretty close. Parking is difficult (impossible?) in the city but there seem to be a number of finds along the canal. Theres lots of easy walking.

There's a whole heap of caches in Oxford.

A good place to park is at:-

N 51 45.751 W 001 16.459

It was free when I was there last year and seems quite popular so should be secure. Just make sure you get there early (before 8:00 am) as it fills up quickly. (there's a cache not too far away aswell :) )

try a search with the word oxford in the keywords - there is a whole series of oxford parks ones i believe

Chester's Oxford Parks Quest series.

Really nice parks with some regular sized caches.

I wouldn't try the 'University Challenge' Series on the weekend unless you are trained in the arts. :)

There are loads just out side of the city centre as well. Most are small or regular and have decent swaps.

I can second the comments about 'The trout' for meals. Very nice. It's the pub Inspector Morse was seen to frequent.

It might be a bit cold yet for the punters caches. You don't want to fall in in this weather!

Simon

The four Punters' caches are mine and Dan 'Rocky Balboa' Wilson's. I don't think the punts are running at this time of year, and No.2 is sat in my lounge after being rescued by a kayaker some miles floating from where it originally sat! It'll be replaced before the boating season gets busy.

Recommended: The University Challenge series is a great introduction to Oxford. Chester's Parks take you a bit further out of town. You may be able to find 2-hour free parking on a side road 10 mins walk from the Magdallen Bridge. Under the Rainbow is a lovely cache on the river, but most of the Oxford caches are good. I can't think of a stinker off the top of my head. Have a good trip and good luck!

Ooh goody what a useful topic. Having moved to oxford nearly a whole two weeks ago, i should by rights have done all the caches here by now! And my current tally is.... a whole ONE (and that the TB hotel which I could've got anytime I was passing!)

Will keep an eye on this thread.

And if anyone fancies doing some joint caching in Oxford any Monday to Thursday evening after fiveish, please give me a shout!

H

Try having a look here its caches in the top 20% centered on Oxford. :D

I didn't know you could do that! :D But beware: there are some excellent caches on that list - but some would take the whole weekend to complete by themselves... :) Depends whether you are after numbers, or a "caching experience". IMHO, the latter would be a good choice...

Thus far I have spent 2 caching days in Oxford.

On the first day we got there very early. We got stuck into all the city centre micros waaaay before the town centre got busy, so we were relatively undisturbed. During peak hours of muggleage, I can imagine that retrieving these would be a right pain. Only downside of the early start was that the public loos were not yet open and TDW began to get a rather pre-occupied expression on his face after an hour or two.

Later on the same day we met up with Jolly Jax and set off for some piratical adventures on the river, doing the Punter's Series. When SP replaces cache number 2 and the boating season is upon us again, these are well recommended. Definately in my top 5 giggle a minute caching experiences.

On my second day of caching in Oxford, we drove around the outskirts, visiting Oxford Parks, the trio near Godstow Abbey and assorted other further flung caches. If you stick to the outskirts, driving is not a problem, although explaining to one's passengers why you simply cannot just follow the arrow towards the cache, as there is a small matter of the River Thames to factor in is another matter!! :(

There is still another good caching trip or two to be had in and around Oxford too, plus I have not yet even started to plan when I am going to have a day numbing my brain with one of 2202's epic puzzle caches!

There's probably not a lot I can add about Oxford caches that's not already been said by much more experienced cachers than me, but I have very much enjoyed the University Challenge series! I've been rather impatient to find the Chester's Park caches but due to only going to Oxford once a month for a club night I only ever seem to be there when the parks are closed or very dark! :mad:

On the non-caching front however, I can definitely recommend a very good cafe!

G&D's Ice Cream Parlour - is absolutly fantastic and has the yummiest ice cream and bagels *ever*! :mad:

(as reviewed here: G&D's Review )

Hoep you have a good time in Oxford! :)

Punting season starts at Easter, although I would recommend the pegolo as a means of getting around especially if you are a punting virgin.

Always drop me a line if you want more detailed info. Looks like I will need to do a bit of cache maintainance before the weather warms up.

Ooh goody what a useful topic. Having moved to oxford nearly a whole two weeks ago, i should by rights have done all the caches here by now! And my current tally is.... a whole ONE (and that the TB hotel which I could've got anytime I was passing!)

Will keep an eye on this thread.

And if anyone fancies doing some joint caching in Oxford any Monday to Thursday evening after fiveish, please give me a shout!

H

Will give you a shout next time I'm in that neck of the woods....