City Navigator Software And 2 Gps's

romanp

So....If I sell my old GPS V can I also provide my city select software (since it will be linked forever to that gps)?

I just picked up a 60csx and plan to use my cityselect on this as my second gps.

Will one city navigator V7 software work on 2 different gps's? Or do you need 2 unlock codes?

Paul

Yes and yes. Your City Navigator Software liscences you to load the software on 2 units--It uses two separate unlock codes, but you do not have to purchase additional ones.

So....If I sell my old GPS V can I also provide my city select software (since it will be linked forever to that gps)?

I just picked up a 60csx and plan to use my cityselect on this as my second gps.

Will one city navigator V7 software work on 2 different gps's? Or do you need 2 unlock codes?

Paul

Yes and yes. Your City Navigator Software liscences you to load the software on 2 units--It uses two separate unlock codes, but you do not have to purchase additional ones.

Technically, yes. However, I think that you would be in violation of the liscence. I think it is for two GPS units owned by a single user.

Depends on how you got the CN 7 software. I got mine when I ordered the Streetpilot 2720. It came with the unlock codes and all the normal stuff. When I tried to use the second upload to my 60CSx, it wouldn't work. I emailed Garmin and essentially what finally resulted was that since I purchased the CN7 DVD with the Streetpilot, because the Streetpilot came preloaded, that particular combination did not allow me to upload CN7 to a second GPSr.

I was disappointed to say the least, but find that I use USA TOPO mostly with the 60CSx anyway. I would be curious if anyone who bought the StreetPilot with CN7 preinstalled was ever able to get a second GPSr to unlock with the software.

Geofindr

Another question: Can I install (CS or CN ) on 2 computers (say one at work and one at home) and then download to a single GPS receiver? Will this use just one unlock code?

Yes. You can install it on as many computers as you need. You will use the same unlock code for each install. The unlock code is associated with the particular serial number of your unit. The software is intended for use in a GPS receiver, and their main concern is that you not install it to more than 2.

Edited by CenTexDodger

Here is what I am going to attempt with this:

1) Bought a refurbished Ique 3600 with CS and CN available on the CD with a unlock code for it. Noticed that during the install process (on my laptop computer) the screens say clearly " If you register your email address with Garmin you can use the software on a second GPS without any additional cost". So I am going to take Garmin on it's offer, as I did register officially with my email address. (should have done a screen capture print to a PDF file to send back to Garmin). On the Ique 3600 the software WAS NOT already installed.

2) I am expecting delivery of a Garmin Etrex Legend Color today. I will attempt to install this software to the Etrex Legend C. If it fails to install I will be emailing Garmin, like you did (someone here did). I will be aggressive with getting my second activation code. I will mention: a) I have an original Etrex Legend, and considered competing products from Magellen and Lowrance, but stayed with Garmin during my recent upgrade; :( I bought the refurbished unit knowing that it contained software with the ability to unlock use on two GPS devices; c) I am a frequently Geocacher, who blogs/discusses the benefits and comparison between the Garmin devices and other competitor products on the geocaching.com, and gpspassion.com bargainpda.com web sites in their forum sections. I would think that warrents consideration from your Vice President of sales, or your Vice President of customer relations (or equivalent) at Garmin, and that the release of one additional software registration/activation is warrented for my unique situation.

3) I will install the software on my desktop computer, and see if I can accomplish registration/activation from a second computer if I keep the desktop from communicating to the Garmin web site for any code verification.

Guess I will see what happens.

Another question: Can I install (CS or CN ) on 2 computers (say one at work and one at home) and then download to a single GPS receiver? Will this use just one unlock code?

Yes. You can install it on as many computers as you need. You will use the same unlock code for each install. The unlock code is associated with the particular serial number of your unit. The software is intended for use in a GPS receiver, and their main concern is that you not install it to more than 2.

Depends on how you got the CN 7 software. I got mine when I ordered the Streetpilot 2720. It came with the unlock codes and all the normal stuff. When I tried to use the second upload to my 60CSx, it wouldn't work. I emailed Garmin and essentially what finally resulted was that since I purchased the CN7 DVD with the Streetpilot, because the Streetpilot came preloaded, that particular combination did not allow me to upload CN7 to a second GPSr.

I was disappointed to say the least, but find that I use USA TOPO mostly with the 60CSx anyway. I would be curious if anyone who bought the StreetPilot with CN7 preinstalled was ever able to get a second GPSr to unlock with the software.

Geofindr

The City navigator I have (v4 I think) on cd came with a Street Pilot III and I have it installed on my 76cs. I don't know if that will help but...

UPS reports that my new 60csx is delivered...Tonight I will attempt to load city select to it (previously loaded on a GPSV). I'll let you all know if it goes smoothly.

I bought garmin planning on using my second allowed installation on this gps...hope it works...

Geofindr

The City navigator I have (v4 I think) on cd came with a Street Pilot III and I have it installed on my 76cs. I don't know if that will help but...

did not work for me.

UPS reports that my new 60csx is delivered...Tonight I will attempt to load city select to it (previously loaded on a GPSV). I'll let you all know if it goes smoothly.

I bought garmin planning on using my second allowed installation on this gps...hope it works...

Geofindr

Yep, it worked. I was able to unlock my copy of city select to my second gps so now it works for both.

The sad part is that if I ever upgrade again I'll be forced into getting a new full version (not upgrade) of city select since this one is now dedicated to these two gps's

did not work for me.

Geofindr

There is an option for saving the unit unlock codes for back-up and retrival. Use this option and copy the file to your 2nd computer. Install the software on your 2nd computer and use the option to restore your unlock codes from your saved file. It's really easy.

All this negativity! Every time I have talked with a Garmin rep they have been extremely helpful and courteous. If they owe you something they are glad to give it to you. They are eager to make things right for you. I've been given some nice freebies for my time and effort in debugging some hardware issues on a 60C that I had (I'm a circuit engineer). B) ImpalaBob

Okay lets say I do this.

1) Save my unlock code for my Garmin Ique 3600 to a file.

2) Email it to my second computer.

3) Attach my Legend C to this second computer

4) Unlock the software on the second computer.

This should all work? Maybe? Maybe I will give it a try later.

I am now using my original version 3.x mapsource maps (uploaded to my Legend color), and mapsource 6.x application. No unlock codes needed and uploaded fine.

There is an option for saving the unit unlock codes for back-up and retrival. Use this option and copy the file to your 2nd computer. Install the software on your 2nd computer and use the option to restore your unlock codes from your saved file. It's really easy.

All this negativity! Every time I have talked with a Garmin rep they have been extremely helpful and courteous. If they owe you something they are glad to give it to you. They are eager to make things right for you. I've been given some nice freebies for my time and effort in debugging some hardware issues on a 60C that I had (I'm a circuit engineer). :mad: ImpalaBob