'overtaking Your Mentor'

Numbers are numbers, as anyone who's hit a 100, 200, etc. 1000 and beyond landmark will know. But does anyone else have other meaningful numbers they've reached or are aiming for? For a while I've been hoping to overtake Dan 'Rocky Balboa' Wilson's 662 finds, as he was my mentor in my early days of caching (2003), and a regular caching buddy until he found better things to do with his time in 2005. A great guy who's put a lot back into caching through many many hides too.

Yesterday I overtook him, which feels 'meanigful' to me. It's that whole mystic 'the teacher becomes the pupil, the pupil becomes the teacher' thing I guess, not that I'd dream of telling Dan how to cache of course. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from anyway. :)

So, do you have a caching ambition other than finding another one or getting to 1000? Maybe you want to cache in every county of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? Perhaps you just have a bit of friendly competition going on with another cacher? Do share!

excellent idea for a thread SP! oh, and congrats on your acheivement yesterday :rolleyes:

Can't really add a particular ambition, although we would like to get as many of the high rated caches as possible done (don't we all). Unfortunately, that seems to involve moving north a bit! Oh, and one day, I'd like to complete one of piemans fiendish puzzle caches.... :)

Other than that, we never had a mentor to beat, so for us its simply seeing new places and putting out more quality caches :huh: . Need more ideas for that though...

I'm sure others have better targets... come on folks, listen to SP and do share!

Hi Paul, Well as we are newbies at this I can only give you my personal opinion on what GOALS are. As far as I am concerned it is really great to have a 'goal' to aim for, whether it be in Geocaching or in your own personal life. But i am also aware that to acheive that goal sometimes takes the edge off the achievement. In other words...when you have reached that magic figure / goal..... then you have to get another 'goal' to be able to continue with the same enthusiasm. Did you not feel a sense of urgency in your step when you went Geocaching Paul, Knowing that you had 30 more caches to find before you equalled your mentors total ? then just 10 more, then 5, then all of a sudden you did not have any more to find to overtake his score. This is why me and my wife Ann will probably take years before we even think about reaching a 'goal' thereby ensuring that we have plenty of caches in front of us and only illness or old age will stop us going out. Ann said of the very first cache that she found, It was a really great feeling finding that very first cache, I hope I get the same feeling after the fiftieth. So there we are Paul, a rather long answer to your question. But I enjoyed typing it here.

Red Squadron

When I 1st started out caching I thought I'd quite like to have done as many caches as

Skippy and Pingu

as they were local cachers about the same age as us and through caching we'd become friends.

But then my fiendish plan worked... Rebecca got pregnant and hasn't managed a cache in a while - so now they can play catch up to me!!

Another local cacher Bargee and I had a bit of friendly competition going on around the autumn last year - we were both approaching our 200th cache and we spent ages creeping up on ech other, over taking and then he started doing his Dawn Raid caching ... He's well above my 300 mark now, so I guess I'd like to catch Bargee again!!

Edited by HazelS

As I started out as a solitary cacher, I did not have any 'mentor' as such, it was me versus tupperware. However, when I had a puny number of finds, I looked at people who had high numbers, such as Dan, and thought to myself that I could never envisage me reaching those type of figures. I have now gone past most of them, which is pretty cool and fairly amazing. My number one caching aim is still the simplest one... to enjoy my caching, though I admit that the tantalising lure of the BIG number is currently exercising my imagination.

Don't really have a "mentor" I wish to overtake, but I would like to reach the 1000 by the end of this year :rolleyes:

I tried to get 500 within my first year, but due to extension building at home - I failed :huh: In the end it took nearly 17 months. So hopefully now I'll be able to get to the 1000 by next year - just got 445 to get :):P:)

BTW Congrats Paul B) suppose that makes you a Jedi master now? B)B)action-smiley-043.gif

Edited by Nediam

I've not had a mentor and do not have any other cachers in my sights as far as catching up goes. My main aim is to do as much caching as possible and to use this to visit as many interesting places as possible and keep fit into the bargain.

As far as targets go, my 300th is the next milestone and something we hope to get in the next month if all goes to plan.

I'm just totally addicted to caching and spend all the spare time I can find out there finding tupperware and seeing the sights :)

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

When I started caching in 2002, it was guys like Hornet and Tim & June (to name but a few) that were the high scorers with a couple of hundred or so finds. I’d always sort of thought that it would be nice to overtake them. Tim & June slowed down a bit and I eventually overtook them at about the 600 mark but Hornet has always managed to stay a couple of hundred finds ahead despite my best efforts. More recently, however, the emphasis has changed and now errs towards cache setting rather than cache finding. I don’t want to set the most caches, I'll leave that accolade to SP but I would like to set caches that people remember and will perhaps be happy to write a little more than just “Found it, TNLN” in their logs. My earlier caches were nothing much out of the ordinary but I feel that I have got a little closer to my goal with one or two of the later ones. :)

We both recently reviewed the sort of caching we all enjoyed (clearing the area used to be our prime motivator) and now aim to to hit the types of caches we enjoy more (large containers for good swaps) high terrain for the walking and excercise and are spending more time reading the previous logs and cache descriptions when planning a day out.

Other aims we have are to improve the quality of our hides (getting harder as the number of caches hidden goes up and up) and to try and complete some more D4 T4 caches.

Writing decent logs has always been our aim as this is the cache placers reward.

So, do you have a caching ambition other than finding another one or getting to 1000? Maybe you want to cache in every county of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? Perhaps you just have a bit of friendly competition going on with another cacher? Do share!

Never really been in it for the numbers, instead I decided to set myself the challenge of finding every different type of cache out there. All being well I should complete my goal on CITO day, April 22nd.

1000 will be meaningful for me.

Over the past few months it's become my personal 'have arrived' target.

After that I will probably retire and return to another less energetic hobby of mine - Amateur Radio.

It's just as pointless :)

Jon

:rolleyes:

I'm creeping up to my first 100, should get there within the next couple of months. So if I estimate mid May, it will have taken me about 10 months, which I'll be happy with as I don't have my own transport, I cache by public transport.

I'm hoping to be able to find over 150 in the next year so fingers crossed I'll be at around 250 by next May.

I guess I won't be alone in my aim to try and tick off all my local caches. I started caching whilst away from home so came back to a clean sheet which I've made a decent impact on.

Edit to say that i'm not really concerned about the numbers apart from that I enjoy caching so the more finds the better but not really at the expensive of enjoying each find.

Edited by adambro

I knew I was a "serious" geocacher when I passed the total of the wonderful Stefan Ziegler aka "Nox Fräse", creator of some of the best caches near me.

At a local level, my aim is to be - just for one day, or maybe two - top of this list:

http://www.geocaching-france.com/index.php?page=palma_f

It's the number of caches people have found in France (anyone who has ever logged a cache in France is in there). Both my pal WarCat and I will probably leave vnc behind as there are more caches here than in Paris where he lives. WarCat has the advantage that he's only placed 6 caches and he's found 41 of mine... so I will have to sneak off for a weekend somewhere and log 20 or so which he doesn't have!

And of course, now that 1000 is starting to be a real possibility, that will be a big day. I hope I don't lose the will to live cache after that, though... :)

Ah yes, targets. And, as someone says above, what happens when you hit your target.

I have many sources of motivation.

Clearing 100's is good, but ?01 - ?75 are hard on that scale.

To tide me over:

Getting the icons was good, and now I am grateful to coin icons for that.

Clearing out pages on the GC.com list of local caches works OK

Clearing the local area - G:UK interactive map is good for that, or clearing out clusters, or clearing out lone dots that spoil a cleared patch.

On G:UK stats, getting on the top 50 sheet for FTF would be good (& some way off)

On G:UK stats, getting on the to 50 sheet for Counties would be good. (& some way off as well)

Then I do look at records and wonder if I could bag one, but so far that has not even been attempted.

Sad, me?

Hmm, it occurs to me that the SP icon for firefox users has some draw as well. The league table on "Ye olde survey monuments" caught me too. Trigpointing did too, until I passed 100. If anyone links in County Highspots, Munroe's, Marilyns and Wainrights I'd be up for them too as long as there was recognition, like a league table or an icon.

Edited by Kitty Hawk

I would like to set caches that people remember and will perhaps be happy to write a little more than just “Found it, TNLN” in their logs.

As a relative noob compared to you guys, I haven't hit these big round numbers. But I'm not really aiming at big numbers as something to strive for, but it's interesting as a marker - like an anniversary of first cache ever found - something to look back on. Competition and the league table idea leaves me cold.

Rather than numbers, it's quality, not quantity, that I'm seeking. I'm searching for "The Perfect Cache".

Like the Holy Grail, it must exist - it must be somewhere. What is it? Where is it? I don't know yet as haven't found it! But I imagine it will be some combination of weather, amazing scenery, interesting location, a bit of wit or humour, and a general 'feelgood' factor. I think it will probably require both stamina and ingenuity to find it. I think I've come close once or twice so far, but haven't quite hit the elusive Perfect Caching Moment. Perhaps it's a state of mind. I'll just carry on searching till I find it.

Edited by qichina

I would like to set caches that people remember and will perhaps be happy to write a little more than just “Found it, TNLN” in their logs.

As a relative noob compared to you guys, I haven't hit these big round numbers. But I'm not really aiming at big numbers as something to strive for, but it's interesting as a marker - like an anniversary of first cache ever found - something to look back on. Competition and the league table idea leaves me cold.

Rather than numbers, it's quality, not quantity, that I'm seeking. I'm searching for "The Perfect Cache".

Like the Holy Grail, it must exist - it must be somewhere. What is it? Where is it? I don't know yet as haven't found it! But I imagine it will be some combination of weather, amazing scenery, interesting location, a bit of wit or humour, and a general 'feelgood' factor. I think it will probably require both stamina and ingenuity to find it. I think I've come close once or twice so far, but haven't quite hit the elusive Perfect Caching Moment. Perhaps it's a state of mind. I'll just carry on searching till I find it.

Did someone mention the Holy Grail!

Holy Grail, Scene 21

:anibad:

qichina, get yourself out to do 'Your Mission...' It's not far from your area (I notice you have just started caching locally to me - welcome!). It is not 'perfect', but you should enjoy the scenery, long walks, puzzles, humour, planning and general all round challenge. Warning : it may spoil you for cache and dash stick-o-flage for ever more afterwards. Oh, the record to do this cache is three days!

Hey Lovin da thread!!

I would love to take over the following:

The Cache Hoppers

Sensei TSKC

Jolly Green Giants

Alibags

Simply Paul

Team Hippo

M1EYO

But seeing as I have no transport and my stats are only 148 cache finds and 4 cache hides i dont see there being any chance at all and espeacialy seeing as i have no transport apart from my legs i dont htink there will ever be a chance of me taking them over soon!! :anibad:

Thinking about who's caches I'd like to do...

Definitely like to try one of SP's... but I'll use a GPS not a Banana

Alibags always makes me giggle, so one of hers would be good

NEARLY did one of the Hornets in London at New Year but didn't have time - would like to have done one of his...

Oh, and I reccommend Pieman Caches - I've done them all and each one has made me laugh and get furious!!

all I know is that I am panicking that soon we shall have run out of local caches - there really aren't that many and there seem to be probably only 4 or 5 (active) cachers locally who hide caches (including ourselves).

So maybe our goal should be to move significantly inland to an area with a much higher cache density than 37 in a 20 mile radius!

Edited by Andys101 & Redfrock

Somehow, I had an inkling this topic may hit the forums at some stage. Why? 'Cos I was out caching with Paul (SP) yesterday and whilst we were out, one or two of the caches that I did, he'd already done. On the way back I said that we'd stop off at two of mine (one having an extra Bonus cache - 3 in total) to even things up.

Time was running out and I said we only had time for the single one. "Oh, that means you've done one more than me. Can't have that, you'll catch up!"

Despite the fact that I always think I shouldn't cache with Paul cos I'll never catch him up I was secretly pleased <evil snigger>.

So now - No more caching with SP until I overtake him. :lol:

:anibad:

Oss!

I have a completely different "target" right now!

It's to get to 50% "FTF" finds by the time I have 400 total finds on GeocacheUK...

I say "FTF" in inverted commas deliberately, since any find on the same day as the actual FTF counts on GCUK to increase the number.

And GCUK only includes UK caches, excluding members' only caches. Since I have quite a few finds in other countries, including a true FTF in America, and I also have a members' only FTF, this adds to the mix...

So, I'm on 48% right now, out of 375, so my target is _just_ achievable...

Since I don't have as much time to go caching as I did a year or so ago, this is my way of regulating it. It really won't matter to me if I don't achieve the target, any more than I was dissappointed when my "counties" record was smashed - I knew that was only a matter of time...

And that's the point really, isn't it? You see, SP hasn't truly surpassed Dan, since Dan got his total when there were far fewer caches around!

So you still have a target to go for, Paul! :)

Bob Aldridge

Edited by Belplasca

But seeing as I have no transport and my stats are only 148 cache finds and 4 cache hides :)

You can't use that as an excuse, I had once hoped to beat KiwiGary to 100.

We started about the same time, in the same area and met a few times, all he had was a pushbike.

I've just over 100 now, he's probably over 300 .... :D

Wont be long b4 he's set more than I've done.

When I 1st started out caching I thought I'd quite like to have done as many caches as

Skippy and Pingu

as they were local cachers about the same age as us and through caching we'd become friends.

But then my fiendish plan worked... Rebecca got pregnant and hasn't managed a cache in a while - so now they can play catch up to me!!

Another local cacher Bargee and I had a bit of friendly competition going on around the autumn last year - we were both approaching our 200th cache and we spent ages creeping up on ech other, over taking and then he started doing his Dawn Raid caching ... He's well above my 300 mark now, so I guess I'd like to catch Bargee again!!

Thanks for the honour, hazel.

For me the targets are three fold

1. to keep ahead of hazel :(

2. to keep ahead of helen in mustardland :(

3. to finaly figure out a pieman mystery cache without any outside help :(

1. to keep ahead of hazel :(

Number 2 should be easy bargee :D What you on at the moment? I suppose I could make catching you a target, as you are indirectly responsible for my lack of social life enjoying this past time :D

I'm with you on number 3 though...! I think I'll have to work up to that...

1. to keep ahead of hazel :D

Number 2 should be easy bargee :( .....

I'm feeling picked on! Bargee, you have several months head start, and PPs, you aren't simultaneously planning a wedding, doing up a house and commuting stupid miles to work..... oh, plus there's only one of me so by rights you should have to divide your total in half to compare it to mine!

... just you wait til I get started on these lovely Oxford ones, I'll soon overhaul you again!

H :D

I'm feeling picked on! Bargee, you have several months head start, and PPs, you aren't simultaneously planning a wedding, doing up a house and commuting stupid miles to work..... oh, plus there's only one of me so by rights you should have to divide your total in half to compare it to mine!

... just you wait til I get started on these lovely Oxford ones, I'll soon overhaul you again!

H :D

I will accept that you have a wedding to plan and a stupid commute to work, although I would like to point out that we also had a wedding last year :D However, not accepting the theory that we should halve our total! We always cache together, as you well know (last night was an exception, I was only there to make sure you didn't fall off the bridge :D:D )

So crack on with the oxford ones then - we're waiting :(:(

D

PS - have a great time at the weekend if I don't speak to you :(

Our mentor from the start has always been The Wombles. It was great to meet Mr Womble so early into our caching experience and we have been chasing their amount of hides ever since. However just as it looked as though we may be catching up they have put on a spurt again and reached 100 so thanks for that Dave!!!

As a team we have only just begun in the sport but already we have a goal. Though they don't know it yet, it is to catch the Bolas Heathens who appear to be front runners where family groups local to us go. Their daily rate can be quite impressive and it is more the motivation this goal provides in keeping in the game rather than a desire to beat someone else. It has already been fun to see their team name in log books.

Edited by Wizard William and Team Morris

Wow - we're really flattered - thanks for the thought Glynn. It's a great sport for all the family and teaches the children all sorts of skills they will find useful in life, plus you get fit into the process. Perfect (and just a few of the many reasons we're totally addicted) B)

As a team we have only just begun in the sport but already we have a goal. Though they don't know it yet, it is to catch the Bolas Heathens who appear to be front runners where family groups local to us go. Their daily rate can be quite impressive and it is more the motivation this goal provides in keeping in the game rather than a desire to beat someone else. It has already been fun to see their team name in log books.