How Many Units?

scavok

Ok so I started this thread a while back because my GPS had been stolen and I was curious how many units people end up going through.

Thought I'd give an update now that my SECOND unit was stolen. Call me a slow learner but this theft was a little more brutal. The first one was because I was dumb by leaving the car unlocked, at school, at night in a jeep (the #1 broken into car around here). This time around it was in my frikkin driveway, locked and really poorly jimmied into (my driver's door doesn't lock anymore). With the unit locked in the glove compartment. And they actually took more than just the GPS. Not much more, they weren't the smartest in the world I guess, they took the faceplate off my stereo but left the stereo, took the GPS from the glovebox but left my checkbook..

A lot of work for an old explorist 210 and a useless stereo part...

But again, an excuse to upgrade. Used the forums' garage sale to trade an old laptop for a used 60cs, bought the nav kit and am lovin it, and it never leaves my side. I don't even leave it at home much, I take it to work with me (I work in a pharmacy) and keep it in the safe :drama:

So now my Jeep is empty. I even keep the reg and ins in my wallet and leave the jeep unlocked so they don't have to break in to see that it was a waste of time. If they decide to just take the jeep itself they won't get far, I don't even keep gas in it!

So in short I'm up to unit number 3, how bout you?

Edited by scavok

I am a Magellan Man and I just keep wearing them out.

My first, I can't even remember the model, eventually just stopped picking up satellites. But, it worked for a year of hard field use in Ft Hood, and a 5 month deployment to Kuwait right after 9/11. Made it through hot and cold, thunderstorms in Texas and Sandstorms in the desert, but it quit working as I was driving home on leave. In my truck, in the AC. Go figure.

Second one - SportTrack Map - lasted 3 1/2 years. It got retired because I wore out the screw that held the battery cartridge in. Too many battery changes in the dark in a bouncing Humvee, I guess.

Since that one died while I was in Iraq, and I deserved a new one, (don't we always deserve better gear?) I ordered an Explorist 500. Pretty happy with it. Let's see how long this one survives under my dysfunctional care and feeding.

2 units so far.

Magellan eXplorist 210 My first gps, still have it, and I use it when I do multi caches since I love the coordinate entering method.

Garmin 60CS My 2nd GPSr, Got it because I saw another cacher using one and it was so neat looking, I love the standard usb cable for connecting to the computer, color screen, good sorting options, ect. my primary gps.

And of course, since I am a gadget geek, I ended up getting a Palm T|X for paperless caching and other geekly duties.

let's see! i got my first one in july of 1977. had that one 10 years before i got rid of it and got a used one in feburary of 1989. i still have that one, but it doesn't work that well anymore. :unsure:

oh! you meant gps units, not husband units. sorry. B)

my first was a garmin 76s. sold that one to my brother and bought a 76cs. we're very happy together. :huh:

Two. Garmin Legend in Oct of '04 for a trip I was taking and because I remembered Geocaching from a previous search of the internet.

I then upgraded to the 60C for my birthday the next March.

Still have both. In fact I loaned the Legend to my brother this spring when he went to the North Pole.

2 people, 2.25 years of caching, 8 units.

(1) Geko 101: got it for "free" (we had a bunch of coupons that covered the cost).

(2) Geko 201: when we tried the Geko 101 on our first cache, We didn't realize that a 30-foot error under tree cover was normal, so we traded it for a 201 (thinking that WAAS would help, which it really didn't). We decided we needed something better, so we returned the 201.

(3) eTrex Venture: I bought this off of ebay by mistake. Someone mentioned getting an eTrex Vista for $140, and someone else said that that was an excellent deal (which it was, at the time). When I saw an eTrex Venture on ebay for $130, I bought it; only too late did I realize what it was. (To this day it annoys me that Garmin gave two of its eTrex models names that both start with "V"! :huh:)

(4) eTrex Legend: we decided that, just as with remote controls, we each needed to have a GPS, so we got a Legend in addition to the Venture.

(5 & 6) two eTrex Vistas: We finally got tired of the arrows on the Venture & Legend pointing us down one trail only to backflip 100 yards later, so we decided to go for units with electronic compasses. We sold the Venture & Legend in the garage sale forum.

(7 & 8) two eTrex Vista C units: and then we got tired of constantly losing signal under tree cover, so we decided to go for the C. We sold one Vista in the garage sale forum, and still have the other as a backup. It's got a layer of dust on it :unsure:

Future: Although I am happy with the Vista C, next I want a 60CSX. But I've been reading in the GPS Units forum about all of the problems they've been having, so I'm waiting for them to iron out most of the issues before getting one. (We have absolutely no need to upgrade... I just want to!)

let's see! i got my first one in july of 1977. had that one 10 years before i got rid of it and got a used one in feburary of 1989. i still have that one, but it doesn't work that well anymore. :unsure:

oh! you meant gps units, not husband units. sorry. B)

my first was a garmin 76s. sold that one to my brother and bought a 76cs. we're very happy together. :huh:

Sorry to hear about your malfunctioning Unit. Some of the less sophisticated models cannot handle the concept of selective availability. All you get from them is mixed signals. I recommend upgrading to something with a large external antenna to ensure ideal reception.

Sorry to hear about your malfunctioning Unit. Some of the less sophisticated models cannot handle the concept of selective availability. All you get from them is mixed signals. I recommend upgrading to something with a large external antenna to ensure ideal reception.

It's not the size of the antenna that matters. What counts is the ability to solidly connect with large numbers of satellites! :unsure:B):huh:

Still have 1st one, Etrex Vista, about 5yrs old.

However, I now mostly use a 60cs I checked out at work.

I've kinda become the GPS man at work. At my desk, I have a 2nd 60cs, Street Pilot III, 2610, and three 2720's (for incoming employees).

oh! you meant gps units, not husband units. sorry. :huh:

my first was a garmin 76s. sold that one to my brother and bought a 76cs. we're very happy together. B)

the size of the antenna isn't really the problem. i just need a unit with more memory.

actually i need one with a memory. the memory on the one i have seems to have been corrupted by it's former owner. B)

the size of the antenna isn't really the problem. i just need a unit with more memory.

actually i need one with a memory. the memory on the one i have seems to have been corrupted by it's former owner. :unsure:

The high end units have plenty of memory, and you can even upgrade them by implanting a bigger chip. This allows for things like turn by turn directions. They will even speak to you with voice commands during your trip. I suspect that you would welcome this improvement.

On topic, I have acquired, in order:

A Garmin GPS-V

A Magellan SporTrak Color

A Garmin Map 60CSx

I still have all of them. I like to hold on to my Unit.

Edited by The Leprechauns

It's not the size of the antenna that matters. What counts is the ability to solidly connect with large numbers of satellites! B):huh::unsure:

B)

But of course Size Matters............to the Elves!!

actually i need one with a memory. the memory on the one i have seems to have been corrupted by it's former owner. :unsure:

The high end units have plenty of memory, and you can even upgrade them by implanting a bigger chip. This allows for things like turn by turn directions. They will even speak to you with voice commands during your trip. I suspect that you would welcome this improvement.

A Garmin GPS-V

A Garmin Map 60CSx

i'm sure it's a fine unit too.

i should have upgraded to a higher end unit and i have only myself to blame.

One, but I just ordered my second.

I'm actually surprised I've only had one in two and a half years, and it still works. Most of my electronics don't last that long when I touch them. I've been through three cell phones, two digital cameras, and three pagers during the same time frame. I don't buy watches any more because either they get lost or stop working.

I went high end this time, I'm just hoping I don't regret it. As in lose it or break it.

One, but I just ordered my second.

I'm actually surprised I've only had one in two and a half years, and it still works. Most of my electronics don't last that long when I touch them. I've been through three cell phones, two digital cameras, and three pagers during the same time frame. I don't buy watches any more because either they get lost or stop working.

I went high end this time, I'm just hoping I don't regret it. As in lose it or break it.

Just don't leave it in your car :laughing:

actually i need one with a memory. the memory on the one i have seems to have been corrupted by it's former owner. :laughing:

A Garmin GPS-V

A Garmin Map 60CSx

Y'know, that isn't always an improvement. :laughing:

#1 Etrex: Venture lost after only 3 months

#2 Garmin GPS 12: Still have used by Mary

#3 Magellan SportTrak Map: Gave to son because I did not like the Mag Lag

#4 Garmin GPS V: Loved it but stolen this spring

#5 Garmin GPSMap 76: Loved it too, tried to get Mary to replace her 12 Stolen with the V

#6 Garmin GPSMap 76Cx: My new favorite ... Great reception

So a total of 6 during just over 4 years

But wonderful Adventures with all of them, and many stories I could tell

This is quite embarrassing, really. :laughing:

My husband bought me one about 2 years ago that works with my PDA via bluetooth. Totally unsuitable for caching. GPS #1. Still have this one.

Then we buy a new version of MS Streets & Trips that comes with a little GPS that we can use with a laptop. Again, totally unsuitable for caching. GPS #2. Still have this one, too.

I always wanted a GPS for the car, so we buy a Garmin Street Pilot III and love it. Again, totally unsuitable for caching. GPS #3.

Then we get a Magellan Explorist for caching. Love it. GPS #4

We break the Explorist. We panic. My GOD, what will we do without a GPS for the time it takes to send this one to Magellan to have it fixed? We buy a cheap Geko for 50 bucks on Ebay, just to have a backup or in case our friends want to try it out. It arrives the same day that the Explorist comes back from Magellan all fixed. GPS #5.

Our Street Pilot III was stolen out of my car right after Christmas. We panic again. What will we DO? We collect the insurance money and purchase a newer Street Pilot. GPS #6.

We go to Arkansas, and somehow lose track of our beloved Explorist. We can't find it anywhere. We call the hotel, we call the rental car company, nothing. It's gone. Again: We panic. What will we DO?

We purchase a Garmin 60CSX, of course. GPS #7.

I have not added up the actual numbers till now. We are such blatant consumers.

Edited by Sue Gremlin

Etrex Vista--the rubber armor has worn through in places, disabling a couple of the buttons, so it's semi-retired.

Yellow Etrex--poor little fella was apparently left on the roof of the Jeep during a stop and fell off somewhere in the middle of a million acres of Arizona wilderness.

Geko 201--replaced the lost Etrex. Excellent device, but keeps trying to sell me car insurance with cheesy theatrics.

Foretrex 201--"Downgrade" replacement for the Vista. Using the Foretrex plus paper topo and mag compass just works better for me than the Vista's tiny screen topos and somewhat fussy electronic compass.

WEll all of mine havn't been for geocaching but I've gone through a few units.

1.) Magellan GPS2000XL (still have it. it still works. it's "old Skool" :laughing: )

2.) Garmin StreetPilot Colormap (still in my truck as backup)

3.) Garmin Etrex Vista. (Gifted to the girlfriend for her use)

4.) Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx (Main unit)

1) Etrex Legend - died of screen failure after 2 or 3 years - RIP

2) A very old Maggy not sure model - came out before SA was turned off

I gave this one to someone who lost their GPS in a stream or something.

3) Etrex Legend - currently using, bought in forums

4) Etrex Legend - bought as backup (forums again) and to share, still used as backup GPS

Next:

5) 60 csx - waiting for vers. 8 of City Nav to come out first.

Bought my first GPS, a Garmin 12, in August 2001 when I started geocaching.That one lasted untill January 2005 when it decided to quit working. I was in Central London and rushed to a shop on Tottenham Court Road(spell check!) and bought an Etrex Venture( Dont want to remember how much it cost me either!)

Still using that Eterx too!

1. Garmin 3+

2. Magellan 315 (Strange device, still keeps a lock)

3 Garmin Rino 120 (Given to my father for some activity known as fishing?-I miss this unit)

4. Garmin 60C (Backup)

5. Garmin 60CX (2 weeks old)

I also have a 3 PDAs.

1. Sony Clie (Work horse, I transfer caches to the 60C via cachemate when I am on the road. This little guy stays in the car.)

2. Palm Zire 31 (Better battery life than the clie.)

3. Ipaq PPC (I use this with mapping software and a bluetooth connection with my 60C. As soon as PPC cachemate allows cache upload to the GPS this unit will be my new work horse replacing the Clie.)

Please don't let my wife see this list...I think I would be in hot water. The good thing is that I use this gear for work all the time. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Nuwati

My first GPSr was a Garmin 12. About the size of a brick, and just as accurate. My wife made me buy it after I got lost bowhunting in the Ocala National Forest, and spent the night with the critters. As far as I know, it still works. I gave it to my sister when I bought a Magellan SporTrak Color. Compared to the 12, the Color was an amazing device. It held up to three years or so of hard abuse, before corrosion from multiple immersions in salt water during kayak fishing trips killed it. Just prior to the Color dying, we bought a Garmin Ique 3600, which I hate. It sux equally as a PDA and as a GPSr. After pulling out most of my remaining hair trying to get the Ique working right, I bought a Garmin MAP60CSx which just impressed the heck outta me.

I started with a foretrex 201.. did alot of mtb'ing in korea and it fit perfectly on my handlebars. then i got a yellow etrex... which i gave as a ftf in one of my caches...(GCRRKV). Then I got a Garmin 60cs. I think my next upgrade will be the 60csx. I hear with this gps i won't need my external antenna anymore. :laughing: