Iron Furnace Ruins Category

I am the manager of the Iron Furnace Ruins Waymarking category. I established this as one of the initial "beta testing" categories, because I think these historic objects are very cool. They're often in great shape, as they were built tough, and they are often in nice locations, usually near a stream or river. I've visited many geocaches that are near iron furnace ruins, and thought they'd make a nice Waymarking category.

Apparently the "traditionalists" agree with me. "Iron Furnace Ruins" has consistently been in the top 20 categories, ranked by popularity. Right now, it's at #8 out of 225 categories. Hiking through the woods to see the ruins of a 200 year old iron furnace is about as diametrically opposed to a McDonald's waymark as one could possibly get. If you wish that Waymarking.com had cool locations, rather than being a yellow pages directory, this is the type of category that ought to appeal to you. Have a look at the photo gallery for the category, and I hope you'll agree.

Yet, paradoxically, this category only has 31 waymarks recorded in it. I am posting this thread to generate more interest in iron furnace ruins, and also to ask others who share my interest in early industrial history for their help in promoting the category.

1. Do you want to help manage the Iron Furnace Ruins category? Very soon, we will be moving from single-person category management to group management. I'd like to find some other people who have visited several iron furnace ruins and would like to visit more. Post your qualifications here, or send me an e-mail. I'll pick a few co-managers based on geographic diversity and other factors. It won't be much work at first -- just reviewing the new submissions, which hopefully will become more frequent, and helping with ideas to make the category fun and popular.

2. Even if you have no interest in joining a category management group, if you've ever seen an iron furnace, go out and waymark it so that others can visit!

I think I would like to assist, if it would be of some benefit. Iron Furnace Ruins is one of the categories I've submitted to, and think makes a great waymark category.

I've visited a number of sites in the southeastern Ohio area, and have a list of sites I would eventually like to go. Websites I've visited, as well as topo maps and other sources are valuable resources. :)

I have a few more I'm planning on submitting, as soon as I can visit, get good coords and pics. That is, unless somone in my area beats me to it (which they are welcome to!).

I have to agree with Lep. Historical Objects and places are the best part of Waymarking. Any category that shows me history I like. Some of the "Yellow Page" categories and neat but not one where I would make a run to find. I love the fact that so many Historical marker categories have popped up and I can't wait for these to be downloadable so I can have them loaded when I visit other states.

Wow! Thank you to Crystal Sound and chstress53 for your interest in being part of the management group for this category. I'd enjoy working with both of you. Crystal Sound already has a track record with the Ohio Historic Markers category, which is trying to catch up with my Pennsylvania markers, and doing a fine job of it. And chstress53 is just kicking butt sitewide!

I think I will also be asking another person, from Pennsylvania, who doesn't come to the forums very much, but in local forums and cache hides he has spoken of his strong interest in iron furnaces.

It will be fun to have a management group and our own little forum to chat in.

. Hiking through the woods to see the ruins of a 200 year old iron furnace is about as diametrically opposed to a McDonald's waymark as one could possibly get.

Yet, paradoxically, this category only has 31 waymarks recorded in it.

First off, THANKS, I really like the topic and the actual furnace sites that I've found in the years prior to Waymarking. I would like to contribute but finding an iron furnace in Eastern Ontario is like trying to find a good meal at Rotten Ronny's and I no longer travel long distances from home. OTOH, I think about iron furnaces every time I see a lime kiln and some of the larger lime kilns do have the required wow factor. (hint hint) tks

dutchmaster

I extended invitations to those replying in this thread, and who wrote to me privately. Within an hour, I set up my group, added a photo and mission statement, did the invitations, got the replies, and promoted people to officer status. My category then passed from individual to group ownership! I found the process easy and fun.

We can now use this thread for group discussion until the forum system is reorganized. :laughing: If anyone else would like to become a member of the group, let me know of your interest!

Can I join as a member?

I can be the official cheerleader for the group!

Give me an 'I'!

Give me an 'R'!...

I will be looking for some iron furnaces in New England soon. Most of them have no remains, but it will still be important to me to find where they were. I visited the closest one to me (already logged as a waypoint).

Inactivity isn't necessarily an indication of non-interest. It's getting warmer out.

N/S