24 Hour Geocaching Marathon III

Keith Watson

Hey there,

Um ... anyone thought of a meet place yet? Or are we looking for suggestions? Time is flying its not long before the marathon!

If i may suggest there is a kitchener tims just off the 401 right by a car pooling place. its at kitcheners change number 275 i believe. it exits on to Homer Watson Blvd by conestoga college. If you drive up homer watson past just the college there is a gas station, a tims, and a mac donalds. I think its a great kitchener meet place since some of you would be taking the 401 to kitchener and since there is a car pooling lot at that interchange, we can all park there get in the veichle we will be riding in. If We want to start the marathon with coffee tims is just a few seconds away! What do ya all think? Er I don't know the co-ordinates but i could find out easy if you guys need those sort of directions.

Beck.

Edited by carrgirl

That sounds like a great idea. Works good for me.

Just an advisory - there is a lot of construction going on at Homer Watson/401. The Park and Pool cache there was archived as a result.

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=558bee25-bb9e-4341-bfc9-c4ae70c9c425)(GCPEQR).

Not sure if the carpool lot is actually open. OTOH, we could all just meet at the Timmys..... :unsure:

There are a few puzzles on the route. I have solved one so far, and will be working on some of the others. If anyone in the group has solved them, let me know so I can update the list. This file will not be posted on the internet. They will be handed out as we need them along the way. Please check out the link at the top of this thread and provide any feed back on any caches we may not want to do. I will update the notes and clean the file up as the days get closer.

More route input. I'm still questionable about doing this, since I've got a lot of the caches, but I still think it might be interesting to do a portion of this, just to see other cachers experience ones that I have. Since I'd probably bicycle to the starting location if I did, would somebody be able to load it into a van for as long as I stayed?

Eenie Meeny, if it back up by the caching day is solved along the route.

For a couple of Multis, you don't have the 4th leg of the TBG series on the list and the Diamonds series is still out of order.

Since I hid Breithaupts, I can give you a slight hint that it would fit perfectly between Woodside and Stumped Key Chains. The first point is just a couple blocks from the Woodside, and the final is in the same park as Stumped. Information on the other one can also be found online.

Edit: Sorry, hit POST too soon.

#9 (Where'd I Leave My Keys) is a couple kilometers from the co-ordinates provided, and not really along the route.

#39 TBG #1, should probably follow the Trashmore/Methane double. Also, at least one of the waypoints for High on Methane is wrong, and I don't know if there has been corrections made. There is enough information still to find.

#95, Just Another Ammo Can, could follow #44, X Marcs the Spot, with the group then going down Lackner Blvd to the trailhead for Fritz/Signals/Unleashed.

I have a Members Only Cache - Krazy Homer's Used Cars that I'll un-members-only by the big day. It might serve as a replacement for By The Lake, which might be missing. The hider has not been active recently either. I might check out the hiding place over the next few days to confirm its presence/lack thereof.

Missing caches: #4, #16, #20, #25, #35, #37, #38(See above)

Lengthy caches that can't be done via car: #41, #83 (and thusly, #85)

Concerning Planes Trains, as stated the stages are spread out. The first 3 are close to other caches on the list, but I'm hesitant to post too much of a spoiler. If you want, drop me a note and I'll give more information via PM.

I might try to do some sort of street route for the K-W caches at some point.

Edit #2:

For a meeting place to start, I'd recommend Pinebush Hustle Bustle as a start. Lots of room to get parked and organized. Then onto Blue Moose, WT17-Cambridge World Tour, Charcoal, Bevy, and the canoe/wade to Grand Adventure.

This is under the assumption that Eenie stays disabled.

Edit #3: There will be a festival on in the downtown Kitchener area on the weekend of August 12th, including Victoria Park. Parking might not be possible, thus "Victoria Park Tour" might have to go as well.

Edited by HomerJFong

Due to the sheer number of people coming out on this one, I'm going to drive the Equinox after all. I have seating for up to five people, including myself. This should bring the empty seat count up to be able to handle a problem with the "short bus".

We have three HAM operators at the moment (four if you include the day-only crowd), and that should be one for each vehicle;

Full Day/Night:

VA3UPL - "The Jeep"

VA3GDP* - "The Nox"

VE3VGP - "Short Bus"

Day Only:

VE3YES* - (team unnamed)

* Driver

I will monitor VE3KSR on 146.970 PL 131.8 (tone is mandatory on this one!) until all vehicles are accounted for at the rendezvous point.

We'll co-ordinate on 146.580 simplex once the vehicles are together at the rendezvous point. FRS Channel 2 will be used as well, but the ham operators can keep the vehicles in contact if we get separated by more than a couple kilometers.

At this point, I'm looking for a co-pilot/passenger for the 'Nox. I've got A/C .... :laughing:

Edited by northernpenguin

Hey Dreadnaught, no problem. I'd be more than happy to accomodate you in my vehicle (see below). I'm still tentative as a business trip is possible. Should know more by next week. Cheers! C-A

sidecar_fly.jpg

As for team names, I was thinking Diurnals but that sounds too close to what one might find in a mens' room. :D

Edited by Couparangus

I've updated the best route to include the Cambridge caches. I added the general location of "Where'd I Leave My Keys", and added a couple caches in that area. As said before, it is a little far from the route.

Also, Eenie Meenie is back in play. I made a slight alteration to the Kitchener portion of the route to remove some overlap. I'm hoping to do a dry run via bicycle of much of the Kitchener route on Friday.

At the same time, I'm looking to place a cache specifically for the Marathon, and it is looking more likely that I'll try a half day of cache-ing and revisiting local caches. The only problem is that I work as a temp, and I won't know anything for certain until a few days prior.

http://members.419eater.com/~homerjfong/Route.txt

I've updated the best route to include the Cambridge caches. I added the general location of "Where'd I Leave My Keys", and added a couple caches in that area. As said before, it is a little far from the route.

http://members.419eater.com/~homerjfong/Route.txt

The 24 Hour Marathon is not normally planned out turn-by-turn, as caches get skipped due to various reasons and orders of things change. This is not about optimizing the day to pack as many caches into a 24 hour period as much as it is a chance to spend 24 hours geocaching.

The official list of caches that we may visit is kept up to date on the Official Webpage.

Another note - I drove through Kitchener/Waterloo on the weekend. The carpool lot at Homer Watson / 401 is open to the public, so that will probably be our rendezvous point.

Edited by northernpenguin

Due to the sheer number of people coming out on this one, I'm going to drive the Equinox after all. I have seating for up to five people, including myself. This should bring the empty seat count up to be able to handle a problem with the "short bus".

We have three HAM operators at the moment (four if you include the day-only crowd), and that should be one for each vehicle;

Full Day/Night:

VA3UPL - "The Jeep"

VA3GDP* - "The Nox"

VE3VGP - "Short Bus"

Day Only:

VE3YES* - (team unnamed)

* Driver

I will monitor VE3KSR on 146.970 PL 131.8 (tone is mandatory on this one!) until all vehicles are accounted for at the rendezvous point.

We'll co-ordinate on 146.580 simplex once the vehicles are together at the rendezvous point. FRS Channel 2 will be used as well, but the ham operators can keep the vehicles in contact if we get separated by more than a couple kilometers.

At this point, I'm looking for a co-pilot/passenger for the 'Nox. I've got A/C .... <_<

I have now officially booked the short bus. We have a total of 12 seats, but I'd like to fill only 8 to provide a little more elbow room. If you're not on my list - but would like to be, please email me directly. There may be another vacancy at this point - trying to confirm Mocadeki. Everyone else is still confirmed.

It's gonna be a blast!

Edited by dr.clean

Only seven days till the event. Please make sure you are confirmed in the vehicle you will be riding in so we don’t over load any of the vehicles. Also make sure you have a ride to get to the start location by checking with the drivers.

The carpool lot at Homer Watson / 401 will be our staging area. Pleas be there before 8:00 am or you may get left behind and will have to catch up with us along the route.

Just a quick update. Its not looking good for me on Saturday to come out for the day. Things may change before then, but as it stands right now I'm about a 30% possibility. Dreadnaught take note.

C-A

Well, I for one hope you can make it. While we were in Pennsylvania last week, we noticed that Jimmy's new jeep was getting delivered for the marathon :anitongue:

1640ca77-da4b-4536-99b9-b83d23c0d20d.jpg

Just a quick update. Its not looking good for me on Saturday to come out for the day. Things may change before then, but as it stands right now I'm about a 30% possibility. Dreadnaught take note.

C-A

No prob CA, I'll try to get a ride with someone. I was a bit worried all my stuff wouldn't fit in the sidecar anyways. :huh:

I think the route is close to final as it is going to get on the web site. Some tweeks over the next few days as caches may appear or disappear. The GPX file can be downloaded from the web site by clicking here. The finals for the puzzles will be given out as needed along the route, don;t want to upset any owners by publicly posting theri finals.

May I suggest we meet tonight at the Golden Horseshoe Geocachers Cat Room tonight to talk about any final concerns. irc://irc.wikkedwire.com:6667/ for you other irc client users, and join #geocaching.

Other than that, make sure you visit the Official Site to make you pack what you need for the trip.

The carpool lot at Homer Watson / 401 will be our staging area. Pleas be there before 8:00 am or you may get left behind and will have to catch up with us along the route.

hey i was wondering if I could join up for the last 8 to 10 hours of the marathon. I have prior engagements dureing the day. If it is going to be a problem not to worry i will just have to wait for the next one.

Thanks

geek-e

We'd love to have you along. Transportation might be a problem though.

If you want to meet up with us part way along, bring a GMRS or FRS radio. We normally chatter on channel 2, and if you're within a couple kilometers of us we can give you directions to a meeting point.

Alright. Here's a local's critique of the final route.

I'd do Eenie Meenie before Pinebush Hustle Bustle and Blue Moose View, continuing along Queen.

There is some parking alongside Strasburg Road for the Mt. Trashmore cache. I might provide the final co-ords for "High on Methane", since one of the waypoints has changed since the placing. I'd do TBG #1 after those. Construction would make the journey from that to Gnarly Dudes a challenge.

From TBG#1, go to #7, and then to Stonehenge, exiting at Trussler.

I hate to suggest my own cache be removed, but I'd take out Victoria Park Tour. With the Blues, Brews and BBQ's Festival and construction, access to the park via car would be very limited.

I'd move Bechtel Park until after Stumped Key Chains. There is no access to Bechtel off General Drive. You could also add, Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend - Stage 3 which is close to Lancaster and Bridge street.

That's all I can think of now. I'll confirm the High on Methane situation.

hey dr.clean

I sent you an email the other day and i still have not received a response. I am wondering if you recieved it.

I wanted to get a seat on the bus. And i was wondering how much for that seat.

If you could get back to me asap that would be greatly appriciated.

thanks geek-e

I am wondering what i should do if i can not get a response from dr.clean.

should i come anyway?

geek-e

I don't think there should be a problem, but give him a few hors to respond.

Let me be the first to say thanks to all that took part in this 3rd year for the 24 hour marathon it was how shall I say a blast. Tanks alot for the Blast of fun.

Keith I should also like to take this time to say thanks once again for organizing this days excitement as always you put together a good list of caches.

For those that did attend the event A few congratulations to a few milestones achieved

Dreadnaugt for his #100

Carrgirl who with only 4 finds coming into the event then wanting to try such a feat managed to get her #50

Myself (just so we know who achieved something) reacted #800

Keith Watson #1250

And to the rest that reached a goal but did not make it know

Congratulations most of all to the whole group that came out to brave the day and full 24 our run.

Looking forward to :P:D:(:P:D:D:D the next one and so on, and so on, and so on .......

If I had the nerve to head up at Devil Made Me Do It, I would have hit the 150 mark, but I still had a blast participating in a half-marathon. Ah, the joys of having to keep your canine from trashing the house instead of cache hunting. Although I think I did a good job as tour guide, though. Being close enough to hear the radio resulted in several communications along the lines of "Local guy says don't turn left here".

I thought you would have continued on to the Unleashed/Fritz area to grab the 5 caches near that trailhead, so I swung by there on the bike this morning only to notice the lack of vehicles and thereby continuing on to the grocery store.

I'm upset I had to leave right before the weedy Mt. Trashmore hunt, and I guess I was wrong assuming you'd find the trail into the High on Methane cache. I took a look for you as the bus went down Strasburg Road, and noticed the Red Jeep still parked about 20 minutes after leaving the group. Although I doubt I would have been much help, that is a cache that you either have to find in the spring when the weeds are non existant, or get very lucky the rest of the year.

I took pity on the folks at Langdon Trails 2, since I really didn't want people in shorts hunting through the poison ivy, and just beelined to the cache. Ditto at pioneer park, just substitute weeds for poison ivy.

I wish I'd stuck with the group through Petersburg/Fibonacci, so I could show everybody where I emerged after foolishly decided to find out where the trail ended.

Anyhow, maybe I'll find a way to do the full enchilada next year. Mmmmm enchilada.

Just want to thank everyone for the great time this past saturday and sunday. Especially Keith Thanks for organizing this. I am disapointed that I fell asleep for the last 10 caches and wont get the full 51 finds in a 24 hour period. But the sleep did help for the hour and a half drive back home. those 41 finds puts me to 67 finds. sweet.

That was a blast. I am defintely come to the next one. Hopefully i will make the full 24 hour next time. <_<

geek-e

Thanks to all for coming out and having fun. Like our previous two adventures, this one was not only fun, but I am sure has created some fond memories for all. For review I have update the Official Website with the caches we visited, and also a Google Earth Cache and Route File that displays all the caches and track lines. Thanks to Fizbot for providing the track information.

Edited by Keith Watson

yeah where? i wonder where the next one will be. Thanks keith for ogranizing such a insane event! I loved it! Thanks gang for helping me reach 50! Those pics where great, thanks for sharing ... anyone else got pics they can share?

I have my pics to post still, but life has kept me a tad busy lately. I'll post the url shortly.

Please post soon as i know you took alot

yeah where? i wonder where the next one will be. Thanks keith for ogranizing such a insane event! I loved it! Thanks gang for helping me reach 50! Those pics where great, thanks for sharing ... anyone else got pics they can share?

sorry not as good as others but take a look

I have my pics to post still, but life has kept me a tad busy lately. I'll post the url shortly.

Please post soon as i know you took alot

well here is a few that I took. hope it is good for you.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/Jiminie_Crickets/

Edited by Jiminie Crickets

Excellent pictures...Looks like it was a lot of fun. I even recognized the cache locations on several of them. Any thoughts yet on where's next year's 24 hour event going to be?

I believe the 2007 version is slated for Whitby and area....

Hey, if its gonna be out this way count me in! If you need help planning a route for next years marathon let me know. We've done pretty much everything out this way.