24 Hour Geocaching Marathon III

Keith Watson

I am currently organizing the third annual 24 hour geocaching event. This year will be in the Kitchener, Ontario area and will take place some time during June, July, or August. If you would like to participate and know of days that are not good for you, let me know. Post here if you would like to join us and what days are “Not Good” and I will set up a chart to try to accommodate the most people that wish to come.

Official Site

Edited by Keith Watson

I am currently organizing the third annual 24 hour geocaching event. This year will be in the Kitchener, Ontario area and will take place some time during June, July, or August. If you would like to participate and know of days that are not good for you, let me know. Post here if you would like to join us and what days are “Not Good” and I will set up a chart to try to accommodate the most people that wish to come.

Official Site

Do you even have to ask if iI am attending. Dates are open for me I can adjust accordingly.

Just saw the listing for this one, and was looking at the proposed route. there are a few multi's but all look doable for this event the one virtual is easy too, just put all gpsrs on pier and take picture.

Hmmm this event is going tobe the same week as the Canada's first plaque event in Nova Scotia. Not sure if I am going to that yet I am waiting to see how the coin sales go since they are funding the plaque and event.

are there any other dates being tossed around?

I deside to go to Nova Scotia I will be going from 21-26, depends on my finnancial situation. This event will be a whole lot less expensive.

Edited by jeff-trex

I must admit I started to think about numbers near the end of last year’s run, but my conscience started nagging at me. Strange considering it was Jimmy a.k.a. Jiminie Crickets doing the nagging. The rules were created and have evolved to make sure we all have a fun safe adventure.

Typo has been corrected.

Edited by Keith Watson

I must admit I started to think about numbers near the end of last year’s run, but my conscience started nagging at me. Strange considering it was Jimmy a.k.a. Jiminie Crickets doing the nagging. The rules were created and have evolved to make sure we all have a fun safe adventure.

Typo has been corrected.

Just leave out the parts that involve big trees near ATV tracks eh....

You really have to ask?? Of course I'll be there!

Dates. June 24th/25th is the amateur radio Field Day. We probably want to avoid that one.

July 1st is Canada Day, and August 5/6th is the civic holiday weekend. Another couple of dates to avoid.

Other than those suggestions, I'm open for any weekend.

One other thought. The full moon is around the 10th for all three months, so that's probably a good target to shoot for.

yeah it is a safe event for some. Others who almost had heat stroke, had a bridge almost tip over while retrieving a cache, climbing a tree with a head lamp in the wee hours of morning , attacked by little vampires, risking getting caught by security, etc, etc.. But the whole event was a blast.

:)B):rolleyes::huh::P:)B)

yeah it is a safe event for some. Others who almost had heat stroke, had a bridge almost tip over while retrieving a cache, climbing a tree with a head lamp in the wee hours of morning , attacked by little vampires, risking getting caught by security, etc, etc.. But the whole event was a blast.

:lol::lol::lol::P:):D:D

LOL!!!

By the way, you're our official bug expert after the last one. You're volunteered to deal with the Langdon wasps :anibad:

If there's one thing these 24 hour machines produce it's the stories. I'm bringing extra air conditioning and water this time around. Now all we need is another 'short-bus'. :lol:

I might be able to come. I'll be able to let you know when it get closer to the date. I've done 20 or so of these caches because I'm from the area. I've even noticed that my first ever cache find and my first hide are on the list. There are a couple things that I've noticed about the order (ie. Diamonds are a girls best friend). Are we going to attempt the final of this series before we complete the other stages first?

I'd be interested in getting some more information about this event as it gets closer.

Count me in for August 12th or 26th. Anytime before July is up in the air at this time for me.

I have no problem arranging for another "short" bus this year, but will be looking for financial participation. I no longer have a personal vehicle insurance policy (my commercial policies won't cover it) so with optional insurance, the costs will go up. Last year we had 6 people in a 12 seater with 4 rows of seats and lots of room for gear. Eight would be a good number. :rolleyes:

Hey.. consider this.. instead of how many can you find.. how about how many can you HIDE! There would be a whole bunch of new hides for others!! How many can you hide would be a lot harder :)

Murfster

This is a bump but also for those that are still on the fence. :D:D:D:D what a blast you will be in for.

As for the date I got a tiny amount of grief for it considering my anniversry is 2 days before but Bahh that is for friday night then the following weekend will be for.

Once agan come out for a blast. :D:D:P

Edited by Jiminie Crickets

I was looking over your list. While I would love to participate, I feel I would be approaching space cadet status by the time midnight rolls around.

You might want to remove these:

Playin' Hooky:

"7 stage multi-cache that will take you on a 23km automobile journey"

" It took us 60 minutes to complete the entire cache"

"NOS1 - Never on Sunday Stage 1"

"Completion will involve biking around 25 Km. (And no Ted, you can not do this by car ;-) It took us about 3 hours to pedal the route and that was with many stops and not travelling too fast."

and the follow-up Stage 2

Bike Rally Cache

While some of these can be overlapped (the Waterloo Park portions, and some of the stuff on the trail, it took me a little over an hour to do this, and some of the Park portions of this are not easy if you don't know the area.

Iron Horse Trail

While not too lengthy, the first portion requires the digits of a Travel Bug that could be anywhere in the Waterloo region

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Another longish drivenvolved in this one. I'd say about 15km. The final is a good distance from the posted co-ordinates. (kinda close to the Are From series) You might need to be a local for the first stage to know where you're heading.

Tower Power

Just for convenience sake, as it is somewhat isolated in terms of nearby caches. Also, if you do remove/switch it, pioneer park would be a better follow-up to Cycle cache due to proximity, then TBG #2 - To be young again before going on the Hidden Valley/Elementary.

If someone is willing to load my bicycle in the back of a van, I'd put myself as a definite maybe. Even though I've found a good number of caches on the list. I could always hold off on local caches for a bit.

A few more things, A "Grand" Adventure is a wade to/canoe cache. Also, the Grand River was quite high in the spring, so the cache might not even be there any more. The Devil caches and the Langdon Trails can be done together. I'd move TBG #1 - Where it all begins between High on Methane, Low on Air and Stonehenge. You can continue down Homer Watson to the area of the TBG 1 cache, then go along either Highland or Ottawa streets to Stonehenge. Stonehenge is in a maze of side streets, though.

Unleashed is along the same trail as On the Fritz and Bootlegged_signals - 01.

The Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend caches are out of order. Mind you, I found the Final without using the information from #2.

T-Shirts are easy -- got a high res version of that graphic?

Yep, they sure are...

19445049_240x240_F.jpg

Just create a vector image out of it and scale it as needed... it's pretty simple.

Are YOU coming out for this one Tomtec?

Nope, I'll be off portaging through the wilderness to our old cliff diving spot.

178149922_2b7ad13225.jpg

With any luck, we may even have time to search for a Geocache...

178177040_69bbe46c55.jpg

You guys have fun though...

TOMTEC

Ooh, this is even better... I wonder if Dr. Clean can rent one of these for the day:

16833734full3xj.jpg

It would come in handy for those urban caches.

TOMTEC

*I'm* not trying to push that thing out of a typical cache's parking co-ordinates. Bit low to the ground methinks. Can you find one that's jacked up like a redneck's pickup truck?

QUOTE(northernpenguin @ Jul 5 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Can you find one that's jacked up like a redneck's pickup truck?

This one good enough for you?

IMG_0390.JPG

He he he

TOMTEC

Now THAT is a geocaching bus!

We need to change the lettering on it though.

How about "Short Bus Geocachers"

Make me a tentative day-time only cacher. I have 3 bizness trips coming up, Kentucky, Clagary & Hawaii (yeah!!) so it'll be a last minute confirmation (as per standard bizness travel goes).

Glad to have you along for the day, C-A.

Here's a little bit of tom-foolery I did with Google Earth to assist us on the day:

Tim Hortons Locations, GPX (For your GPS)

http://www.gregorypleau.com/geocaching/timmysgpx.gpx

Tim Hortons Locations, KML (Google Earth)

http://www.gregorypleau.com/geocaching/timmyskml.kml

Note: This is for the 24 Hour run only, I'm deleting the files on August 13 and it's Google Earth -- some of the locations probably don't exist or have moved 3 kilometers from the posted co-ordinates. The INTENT is for a group of tired cachers at 5AM to be able to find the nearest Timmys

Hi folks :D , um i found you in searching for events in kitchener, ontario. I'm kinda cheap, shy and just discovering the art of geocaching. So how does this stuff work and how much would i budget for a event like this one. My gps (etrex legend - not color one) isn't real fancy like some of yours might be but I thought i would see if i still qualify for a event like this? If someone can fill me in on the basics of how this works and the responsibilties of each team member that would be cool. I read over everything and the site but still kinda unsure. Anyway, i don't have a car so if someone would have me along I'd love to learn more about geocaching from you pros :D

You are more than welcome to come along. What you need depends on how long you are coming out for. Any GPS will do. A pair of walking shoes with a few changes of socks, lots of water, and what food you think you will need for how long you are coming out for. Mostly common sense items. Hope fully one of the drivers is watching, and will let you know if they have room for you.

You are more than welcome to come along. What you need depends on how long you are coming out for. Any GPS will do. A pair of walking shoes with a few changes of socks, lots of water, and what food you think you will need for how long you are coming out for. Mostly common sense items. Hope fully one of the drivers is watching, and will let you know if they have room for you.

:D cool! well i was thinking of completing the marathon! the whole 24 hours. If there are any drivers who have room for me i would be so happy. just let me know how much you would like me to chip in for gas. :D

Oh i hope me as a tadpol (as it seems we newbies are called) can pull this off well! I would just be so great to learn from ya pro frogs!

B) cool! well i was thinking of completing the marathon! the whole 24 hours. If there are any drivers who have room for me i would be so happy. just let me know how much you would like me to chip in for gas. :laughing:

Oh i hope me as a tadpol (as it seems we newbies are called) can pull this off well! I would just be so great to learn from ya pro frogs!

B) Hey there carrgirl I belive i have a spare seat in the lumina van. But to much disapointment there is no A/C in it. you r are welcome to join in you can stand the heat

:laughing: Hey there carrgirl I belive i have a spare seat in the lumina van. But to much disapointment there is no A/C in it. you r are welcome to join in you can stand the heat

Oh! so cool I'd love a hot seat to this trip! LOL please let me take you up on the offer ... lol im really not the A/C type anyway. Oh thank you so much! please e-mail me the details like my share of the gas and so on. Oh boy im so exited.

:D Hey there carrgirl I belive i have a spare seat in the lumina van. But to much disapointment there is no A/C in it. you r are welcome to join in you can stand the heat

Oh! so cool I'd love a hot seat to this trip! LOL please let me take you up on the offer ... lol im really not the A/C type anyway. Oh thank you so much! please e-mail me the details like my share of the gas and so on. Oh boy im so exited.

well what can i say i am humble. Glad to have you aboard :laughing::laughing::laughing: