Waymarking As A Locationless

see the following link & replication of a waymark description. is this what is to come? is this not what the approval of waymarks process is about, and then management of categories?

comments, questions?

Monument on the Hill

Directory Home > People > Memorials > Vietnam POW/MIA Monuments

Monument on the Hill [add to my origins]

Quick Description: Remember me for once. Yellow Ribbon.

Date Listed: 2/19/2006 10:21:01 PM

WaymarkCode: WM7TY

Listed by: eagsc7

N 47° 39.719 W 117° 25.084

Long Description:

This is the first one of mine to be done in the area. To get Verified credit for the cache, answer the following questions via e-mail. Do not put the answers out here (even encrypted).

1) As the person is looking at you, what is the last word in this plate?

2)Going Clockwise around the monument(next plate over), what is the last full 'Z' name?

3)Next plate clockwise, My name was an actor in the movie I, Robot made in 2004?

4)Next plate clockwise, Luckly I'm NOT one of this Boy-band trio.

5) My Surname is the same as a popular 12 ga.

Remember, to log the cache, you have to e-mail me the answers.

Happy Caching

Puzzled Trevor

Additional Waypoints

This waymark does not contain any gallery images

Recent Waymark Logs: There are no logs for this waymark yet.

This looks more like an example of a waymark as a virtual cache. The locationless is more of the category - find an example of Vietnam POW/MIA Monument that no one else has reported yet and create a waymark for it. The category owner has asked that visitors to the waymark post a picture and if possible provide any additional biographical information you can find out about an individual listed on the monument (rank, branch of service, hometown, date of loss, specific circumstances or anything else you can learn). In this case the waymark owner has provided a confirmation question to prove you actually visited his waymark.

This may be an example of the problem of using waymarks as virtual caches in some categories. The category owner obviously set up the category to have people document the locations of these monuments and to have visitors find out about the POW/MIAs from the Vietnam war that are remembered in these monuments. The questions on the waymark sound almost trivial, emphasizing the game like aspect of finding a cache. I suppose the category manager can decide wheher to allow the waymark to have questions like this or not. In this case he did allow it. I found this example interesting because I found this virtual. So obviously, some people will want to visit POW/MIA monuments as virtual caches. I'll leave to the owner of that virtual if he wants to report it as a waymark.

I agree with Mr. T; this is a great example of a *virtual* cache equivalent on Waymarking. I have no problem with the concept. If the category owner approves of it, it can easily coexist among dozens of "here's one, go find it" waymarks in the same category. Or, we can have new categories where the manager *requires* the waymarks to be set up in the style of old fashioned virtual caches. This would be especially cool if there were a "surprise" category or a "wow" category.

As bright minds before me have remarked, this just seems to me one more aspect of what Waymarking may entail. The category manager (and soon group) has full control over the waymarks allowed in their category. Most will prefer a simple, informative waymark be submitted (just the facts, ma'am), but some may like to have this more interactive game played. Popularity of these deviations will determine their longevity.