Calling Cards?

Oberon123

Hi all,

I'm just getting back into geocaching after a long hiatus and I noticed something new at the newest cache I went to. It seems that some of the local geocachers have little calling cards now. What's going on with that? I think it's awesome. Do people just make these up? And for anyone that does have one do you just drop it off at all the caches you go to?

Thanks,

-Jason from NJ

They are coins minted by geocachers. Some are meant to be tracked like travel bugs, some are signature items and some are simply trade items. Collecting them is a popular pastime. Go to Ebay and search on "geocoin" and you will see numerous examples.

Some are minted by individual geocachers, some by state or regional geocaching orgainzations.

I actually like to find things in a cache that tell me a little bit about the people who came there before me. Calling cards are nice because they tell me about those people, besides me, who have found the cache. Calling cards don't make good trade items unless you trade for other calling cards. If you trade for an item such as a toy you should probably leave something similar to the item you took- plus your calling card if you want.