Mountainbike Caching

I just did a 17 mile round trip ride to place 9 caches. I plan on doing mainly bike caching in the future.

I loved it! I found trails right off the main roads that I never knew were there, because by car, you're going to fast. I live in Ocean County NJ, and rode a few main roads, and took dirt trails completely thru one park about 7 miles!

Anyone else enjoy bike caching?

I'm planning a bike caching trip to Brendan T Byrne and Wharton Forests in the upcoming weeks.

I have been meaning to inventory my caches that I placed during mountain bike adventures, and I have found that I placed 14 of my caches during mountain biking adventures:

The View. The Proud.

Scene of the Times

View Have Scene It

View of Far Between

Passion of the Glass Dragon

Pablo's Singletrack Mind

Doctor's Orders

Hard Corps Creampuff

Just For Fun

PPPP1: Land Navigation 101

Sand Ridge Sandwich

Root Scootin' Boogie

Scoot Over

Edited by Pablo Mac

A cross country mtbike ride with caches along the way? BONUS! I do worry about hikers though when placing caches that far out in the boonies. Too difficult maybe? Less visits? Should I care? I'm stressing again!

Why not go out for a ride, hide a few caches, find a few and just let all the stress just drift away Mon (Terrible Jamacian accent) :(

I do worry about hikers though when placing caches that far out in the boonies. Too difficult maybe? Less visits? Should I care? I'm stressing again!

I thought the same thing about some of my more remote caches (see above), but a couple of cachers recently hiked 9 miles to find two of them. I don't place my remote caches with the hope of high find numbers. The few who find them are the hardcore hikers and bikers I can relate to, though.

The problem I've run into when caching on my bike is I hate having to leave my bike unattended if the terrain requires. I just had a bike stolen from my driveway recently. I don't want someone to come across my unattended bike in the woods, grab it and take off.

Caching this winter led me to small park with a couple of trails running out of it. Now that spring is almost here, the Boss and I will be exploring them on our hybrids.

I am also looking forward to caching on road rides this summer. Then there's the MS150 ride in South Jersey. I'm trying to figure a way to combine caching with this event. But 8000 biking muggles could be a bit of a challenge.

I'm trying to figure a way to combine caching with this event. But 8000 biking muggles could be a bit of a challenge.

Overhead at the MS-150 ride "Dang, that bike&ski person must be having some serious stomach issues - they keep jumping off their bike and running into the woods" :)

The problem I've run into when caching on my bike is I hate having to leave my bike unattended if the terrain requires. I just had a bike stolen from my driveway recently. I don't want someone to come across my unattended bike in the woods, grab it and take off.

I think most of us are much more likely to have a bike stolen from our driveways than from a trail. That said, I share the concern, and alleviate it by (1) stashing the bike off trail and out of view, if possible, and (2) carrying a cable lock and just locking the bike to a tree (or just running the cable through the wheels and frame - if someone wants to carry my bike 10 miles on foot, they're welcome to it). I've never had any problems, and this turns out to be a great way to cache.

As for the concern that not as many people will find a cache that essentially requires a bike to get to, I don't mind that. The cache probably won't ever get muggled, and those who do seek it will enjoy the rare company. One of mine hidden this way just went a year without a finder. But the log made up for that.

For ZackJones-

Been there, done that. After you pass the same folks 4 or 5 times...

For Bluejaytoo-

I saw that Garmin has a GPSr that has wireless cadence and HRM functionality. A blending of cultures, and all it takes is money.

For Arrow One-

Take your rig to West Virginia (esp. Pendelton, Grant, etc. counties) for some amazing mountain biking and infrequently visited caches. I'm still pretty new at this, but when I was REAL REAL new, I tried to get at GC2D87. (See, I'm so new I'm not going to try and link to the page.) I managed to get within 100 or so feet. Didn't know enough to log a DNF, but the views of the Germany Valley made up for the disappointment. I'll be back.

Well I just started geo caching. I have no car; but I do have a mtbike and trails all around my house. I actually stumbled across my first cache while doing some extremely off road bikeing on rocks. So now any cache w/in 10 miles or so I'll get it. Plus a bike is much faster than walking.

Mango