Off-leash Canned Data

I've been considering putting some 'canned' data in to the off-leash waymark category. Main reason is that the goal of the category isn't really to find these marks, rather its to help people who have a desire to actually go to these places, find the closest one to them.

My feeling is that this data could be loaded up, and then refined as the various parks get visited (ownership of the mark could be accorded to the first finder).

I've held off for a number of reasons:

1. There is currently no way (that I know of) to transfer the ownership of a waymark to another user

2. Some people take issue with canned data going on to the site.

So, as far as off leash parks go, does any one care?

Yeah I know, but I'm trying to balance that, against the utility of having a relatively accurate/complete-ish list of data. As it stands right now the category makes an interesting game, and nothing more.

What I'd really like to do, is be able to take a trip somewhere, and before I go download all the locations of the off leash parks in the area I'm going to. As it sits right now, even for someone traveling to my home city (Calgary) there are very few of the parks available that are actually listed, so the potential usefulness of the category is limited.

Now for someone playing this as a replacement for the locationless game, they can still go out looking for off leash parks, they can still mark them, they can still submit new unlisted ones, the only difference is, if they happen to come across one that comes from canned data, they take over that listing rather than creating a new one.

In some respects, its almost more similar to traditional caching than the locationless phenomenon (or rather it can be). I give you the coordinates of something, then you have to go out and find it. The difference is, what you're looking for is very big, but the coordinates aren't overly accurate, and the thing might not even be there.

If you wanted to play it the locationless way, you'd just turn around and say "I'm going without the coordinates", and do things backwards.