Garmin 60csx For Aviation

Does anyone know a way you can load aviation maps on a Garmin 60CSx?

How about aviation POI's? For example the location of airports and such.

I know Garmin has units specifically for aviation, is there a reason you can not us the 60CSx with aviation maps?

I'm not interested in using the 60CSx as my primary navigation tool in the air, but would like it for a back up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Neo, I got the POI's, but have not loaded them yet.

I was wondering if there were avaiation maps as well out there. Or an explanation on why I could not download the same background maps that are used on the dedicated aviation GPS units.

I checked on the Jeppensen site and all they have are the updates to the aviation units.

Wonder if I could use those on the 60CSX??

I think that one of the problems is that the firmware of 60 series units do not support the special icons and map data associated with the aviation data. You might have some success with trying it, but you'd probably end up with generic "waypoint" icons and the navaids and fixes will probably not be searchable.

I've never tried this (didn't want to spend the money to find out), so I'm just speculating on the possible outcome. If you have a subscription or account or whatever with Jepp, then it might be worth a try. I'd be interested in knowing how it works if you do give it a go...

I've got City Select N/A maps on my 60C and it shows airports ..... well not every grass strip .... but I'd say every one with a lighted runway capable of landing a twin on. I'll have to take a closer look at this! By regulation you have to have your charts, and the 60C will tell you where your at on the chart. The 60C should also be pretty good at calculating ETA. With Ximage you could do custom symbols for airports and VORs and create your own waypoint database. gpx files and loc files are only text files and one could easily edit in a lot of custom aviation waypoints using mapsource and a text editor. I'm also a pilot and I can think of a lot of ways to make my 60C useful while flying. I'm sure Neo_Geo did do a lot of work! :rolleyes: ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

even if you could get all the navaids and airports as POI's or as waypoints I think you would be missing out on some of the best functionality of an aviation unit which is warning you when you are getting close to restirced air space. (Or can the new POI funtionality do this?)

Todd

I've got City Select N/A maps on my 60C and it shows airports ..... well not every grass strip .... but I'd say every one with a lighted runway capable of landing a twin on. I'll have to take a closer look at this! By regulation you have to have your charts, and the 60C will tell you where your at on the chart. The 60C should also be pretty good at calculating ETA. With Ximage you could do custom symbols for airports and VORs and create your own waypoint database. gpx files and loc files are only text files and one could easily edit in a lot of custom aviation waypoints using mapsource and a text editor. I'm also a pilot and I can think of a lot of ways to make my 60C useful while flying. I'm sure Neo_Geo did do a lot of work! :rolleyes: ImpalaBob

I'm sure Neo_Geo did do a lot of work!

Just did a little file conversion and editing - about 8 hours worth of work all together. I started out with .gpx files - then exported them as .txt - renamed them as .csv - copied the pertinent data to another .csv and voila. And then a few days later, Garmin came out with a new version of POI Loader which accepts .gpx files _ :rolleyes::huh: _ just my luck!

Still need to do some work anyway as the comments don't transfer over directly from .gpx files.

even if you could get all the navaids and airports as POI's or as waypoints I think you would be missing out on some of the best functionality of an aviation unit which is warning you when you are getting close to restirced air space. (Or can the new POI funtionality do this?)

Todd

Yeah, but you pay through the nose to get all of that functionality :unsure:

I'm not trying to substitute good flight planning and situational awareness - just trying to supplement it in a cost-efficient way that doesn't take too much work. This at least gives you directional and DME information from various major navaids and airports. Heck - that's an improvement when navigating to plain ol' VORs and most NDBs! And if you're flying in a C152 chances are you have no DME information at all.

Edited by Neo_Geo

when I was flying I had an airmap 100 lowrance...I wonder how much those go for on ebay these days?

I was always just a student and I didnt' always use the gps but when I knew I would be flying into a restricted/controlled space it was nice to know exactly where it started. When using it on the road it was funny to have it pop up and tell me I was so many miles/minutes from an upcoming airspace..LOL

Todd

Yeah, but you pay through the nose to get all of that functionality :P

I'm not trying to substitute good flight planning and situational awareness - just trying to supplement it in a cost-efficient way that doesn't take too much work. This at least gives you directional and DME information from various major navaids and airports. Heck - that's an improvement when navigating to plain ol' VORs and most NDBs! And if you're flying in a C152 chances are you have no DME information at all.

I use my Sportrak Pro while flying around eastern Canada, I've loaded in all of the airports onto my OZI which I got from the Flight Supplement then saved this waypoint file as my Aviation database file. When I plant to go flying I simply switch out my waypoint lists(or not) and away I go.

I've flown with both Aviation and Nonaviation receivers and found little difference except for the above mentioned airspace alerts. That is not a huge concern where I fly as there are few to worry about here in Sunny Atlantic Canada, but having the airports show up on the map is nice.

:(:P:P:D:(