How To Feel Like An Idiot 101

OK, so I feel like a real shmuck now. My wife and I were out caching today when we got behind a truck that was all over the road and appered drunk, so we called 911. we stayed on the line giving locations and other relivant info. The guy continued to drive eraticly as we followed him, as he pulled a "U" turn I was unable to manuver my big Suburban around to follow him so I went up and around the next block. As I turrend to try to re-spot him I saw the sheriff had him stoped so we stoped accross the parking lot to see what hapend. After a fem minutes the Sheriff sent him on his way and drove over toward us (the dispacher aske a discription of what we were driving) and told us he was stone cold sober he was just..........Wait for it..............................................................waaaaaiiiiitttttttt................................Playing a world wide hide and seek game :) . Before the LEO could say anything else, I said "He's a geocacher". The LEO said "Yeah, thats what he called it". Well I was unable to catch up to the guy and introduce myself and appoligize. :anicute: Ok GeoComunity, tell me I'm not alone with an emberasssing story, please share. :anicute:

P.S. Sorry about the lousy spelling.

I am pretty certain I have saved at least one life by arresting a drunk driver. Saving a life is always a good thing. :)

Most "drunk driver" reports turn out to be inattention (the case you cite) or fatigue. The stop causes them to be more alert to their driving. Nothing bad can come of it- only positive. It is much better to stop them and check them out than to ignore them and perhaps see somebody get hurt or killed.

U did good

No need to be embarrassed at all about what you did. The cause might not have been what you thought, but bad driving is bad driving, whatever the reason. You did the right thing.

I agree.I had a time where I called 911 on someone that was all over the road.They ended up being drunk. But you were right about reporting them-The person should have been paying attention to the road first...I agree totally and would have done the same.

Oh, this is TOO funny! Glad I have that "GEO" sticker on the back of my vehicle!!!

I personally dont think reckless driving is funny...there are enough wrecks out on the roads already. :) If No body reported them there would surely be more.

Edited by ekexplore

Oh, this is TOO funny! Glad I have that "GEO" sticker on the back of my vehicle!!!

I personally dont think wreckless driving is funny...there are enough wrecks out on the roads already. :anicute: If No body reported them there would surely be more.

Wreckless driving is not funny, but his story was. :)

Ahh, that way, fellow cachers can call the cops out as they're racing you for the elusive FTF!!! :)

And I agree completely with the other posters...you saw someone driving poorly and notify the authorities. Nothing to be ashamed of, but a great story for your next event!!

Wonder who it was! Come on, tell us the make and model of the vehicle....

It wasn't us, we've got the Jeep, and Yumitori and Leonata don't drive a truck caching, and it wasn't Raynebeau, she's got a car.... come on.... post a description!

There is a reason we've always joked that Cache Machines are actually Moving Violations. Now, just imagine a large group of folks driving down the road and ALL doing this! :rolleyes:

What cache was it near? Some Helena cachers were in town caching on Saturday and we could check for their logs...

Got me wondering! Funny story, thanks for sharing AND for doing the right thing!

-J

Wonder who it was! Come on, tell us the make and model of the vehicle....

It wasn't us, we've got the Jeep, and Yumitori and Leonata don't drive a truck caching, and it wasn't Raynebeau, she's got a car.... come on.... post a description!

There is a reason we've always joked that Cache Machines are actually Moving Violations. Now, just imagine a large group of folks driving down the road and ALL doing this! :rolleyes:

What cache was it near? Some Helena cachers were in town caching on Saturday and we could check for their logs...

Got me wondering! Funny story, thanks for sharing AND for doing the right thing!

-J

It was a gray and white Dodge pickup with a white topper. not near a knowen cache, we ended up in east missoula on dead end street. :unsure:

I don't have to imagine! During most Cache Machines we've been the lead vehicle for at least one group moving violation. :unsure::huh::huh:

:P I was out caching and these two guys pull upand ask me if I'm Geocaching. I, like a fool thinking they are fellow Cachers, gave a witty retort.The driver than flashs his badge, they were Game and Fish Officers. I quickly appologized and we had a nice chat. They were concerned because of all the Geocaching being done in the area and that during hunting seasonnone of them were wearing orange. He then warned me about the quality of the hunters. YIKES!!!!

That is not the outcome of the most recent erratic driver I saw. I pulled up to an intersection to wait for the light, guy is in a small white truck going north. When the light changes he is about 3 cars back, still sitting there as the other cars drove off. Horn sounds from the car behind him and he moves through the intersection, just sorta slow. I was turning right and ended up just a car length or two back. He wove over into the left lane then back into his and then some more dips across the white and yellow lines. This went on for just a few minutes. I call 911 on my cell phone and as I am giving them the info watch as the guy drifts all the way from the far right lane to the far left lane head on into another car. Medical problem? Sleepy? Drunk? Don't know but he got banged up pretty bad, the elderly lady in the other car was a bit shaken from the numerous air bags that went off around her.

If he was driving so badly you mistook him for a drunk, he so needed the wakeup call. Especially since you followed him for blocks and still had that impression. It took me a while to break myself of the dangerous habit of pulling over suddenly when I see my turn. And I still drive too slowly for the guy behind me when I'm looking for something in an unfamiliar neighborhood. But weaving and driving erratically? No excuse for it.

OK, so I feel like a real shmuck now. My wife and I were out caching today when we got behind a truck that was all over the road and appered drunk, so we called 911..

Whatever happenned to honking your horn or flashing your lights to get the driver's attention. Having had other drivers "drop a dime on me" I can say that most people fail to engage their brain BEFORE dailing 911. Of course when I'm on my bicycle the cagers really like using their horns and shouting profanities. Go figure.

dutchmaster

:( I was out caching and these two guys pull upand ask me if I'm Geocaching. I, like a fool thinking they are fellow Cachers, gave a witty retort.The driver than flashs his badge, they were Game and Fish Officers. I quickly appologized and we had a nice chat. They were concerned because of all the Geocaching being done in the area and that during hunting seasonnone of them were wearing orange. He then warned me about the quality of the hunters. YIKES!!!!

We try to avoid geocaching during hunting season..... There are some bad shots up here and some of them might mistake you for game. It would be very WISE to wear Orange even though you are not hunting for game.

BTW> It wasn't me, I was on this side of the divide.

Whatever happenned to honking your horn or flashing your lights to get the driver's attention. Having had other drivers "drop a dime on me" I can say that most people fail to engage their brain BEFORE dailing 911.

You flash your lights to tell somebody his muffler is about to fall off. Honking to attract the attention of an apparent drunk? Not such a good idea.

If you're driving stupid enough that I can follow you for blocks and still think you're skunked, you're driving stupid enough to explain it to Officer Friendly. There's just no excuse for it. I've always thought we put too much emphasis on drunk driving. If you're driving erratically, I don't care why. You can be perfectly sober and an idiot and I still want you off the road.

Whatever happenned to honking your horn or flashing your lights to get the driver's attention. Having had other drivers "drop a dime on me" I can say that most people fail to engage their brain BEFORE dailing 911.

You flash your lights to tell somebody his muffler is about to fall off. Honking to attract the attention of an apparent drunk? Not such a good idea.

If you're driving stupid enough that I can follow you for blocks and still think you're skunked, you're driving stupid enough to explain it to Officer Friendly. There's just no excuse for it. I've always thought we put too much emphasis on drunk driving. If you're driving erratically, I don't care why. You can be perfectly sober and an idiot and I still want you off the road.

Auntie Weasel, is there anything I don't agree with you on? :(

You did the right thing by reporting the erratic driving of that vehicle. It's not a good idea to drive and watch the GPS. I think in the first couple pages of the GPS manual it has a disclaimer about using the GPS while driving or operating a vehicle. Don't worry about being embarrassed. You did the right thing.

OK, so I feel like a real shmuck now. My wife and I were out caching today when we got behind a truck that was all over the road and appered drunk, so we called 911. we stayed on the line giving locations and other relivant info. The guy continued to drive eraticly as we followed him, as he pulled a "U" turn I was unable to manuver my big Suburban around to follow him so I went up and around the next block. As I turrend to try to re-spot him I saw the sheriff had him stoped so we stoped accross the parking lot to see what hapend. After a fem minutes the Sheriff sent him on his way and drove over toward us (the dispacher aske a discription of what we were driving) and told us he was stone cold sober he was just..........Wait for it..............................................................waaaaaiiiiitttttttt................................Playing a world wide hide and seek game :D . Before the LEO could say anything else, I said "He's a geocacher". The LEO said "Yeah, thats what he called it". Well I was unable to catch up to the guy and introduce myself and appoligize. :) Ok GeoComunity, tell me I'm not alone with an emberasssing story, please share. :D

P.S. Sorry about the lousy spelling.

What a funny story! Maybe you'll run into them (not literally) at the next meet 'n greet. I do agree though, you were right to call 911; next time it might save a life.

:wub:

He then warned me about the quality of the hunters. YIKES!!!!

Ok so, considering the "quality of the hunters" is it better to wear orange so they can see you or camo so you hope they don't?

:)

Even if you're wearing orange, better stay away from Cheney and his date.

I can say that most people fail to engage their brain BEFORE dailing 911.

Just curious how it is exactly that you're able to make that claim?

Just a point... If the driver in question was sleepy at the wheel or what ever, and you go and quietly call 911, and follow them while waiting for your local law enforcement officer to show up, as has previously been noted, this period of time could be the difference between them running in to another car or not.

In the case stated earlier in this thread, it doesn't look like it caused any permanent damage, but how bad would you feel if you found out later that the person was falling asleep at the wheel, and you took your sweet time calling 911, while they ran head long in to on comming traffic?

My feeling is, honk a bit, continue to follow if necessary, and then call 911. The time it takes a LEO to show up might be too long, for the erratic driver, and the person they end up hitting....

Now of course if you're traveling in a seedy area of town, I might not feel safe honking at someone else (no where around here mind you, but I know some of you might live in such an area), in which case by all means let the law handle it....

Whatever happenned to honking your horn or flashing your lights to get the driver's attention. Having had other drivers "drop a dime on me" I can say that most people fail to engage their brain BEFORE dailing 911. Of course when I'm on my bicycle the cagers really like using their horns and shouting profanities. Go figure.

dutchmaster

Well, honking your horn is often considered rude or offensive. It seems that is how YOU take it when you are on your bike. Honking the horn when there is no immediate need for a warning (the REAL purpose for which the horn is made), is considered by some tantamount to "fighting words".

The OP did the best thing by "dropping the dime". The horn could have turned her into a road rage statistic if the driver was really drunk or for some reason angry.

Concernig your bike; if you are getting a lot of flack, are you riding properly and safely? I sincerely believe most bicyclists, especially kids, don't realize how much hazard theey create.

Bicycles are inherently dangerous and a considerable nusiance in places where traffic normally flows at greater than residential area speeds. The horn COULD be a warning that you just about got KILLED (or just about caused an accident when a motorist had to take quick evasive action in order to NOT kill you).

Bicyclists would do well to ride only in places where bicycle lanes are provided or in low speed limit areas. And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS on the RIGHT side of the road (assuming in USA). Riding on the LEFT side of the road causes the oncoming driver to have to take IMMEDIATE action to keep from running over the bicycle. So does encountering a bicycle on the downside of a hill or around a bend when the motorist is going normal "highway" speeds.

A bicyclist can be obeying every law and be TOTALLY within their "rights" and STILL create a considerable safety hazard.

At least a drunk driver can be taken off the road if someone cares enough to "drop the dime".

In any case though, there is no excuse for profanities and flipping off.

Concernig your bike; if you are getting a lot of flack, are you riding properly and safely? I sincerely believe most bicyclists, especially kids, don't realize how much hazard theey create.

Bicycles are inherently dangerous and a considerable nusiance in places where traffic normally flows at greater than residential area speeds. The horn COULD be a warning that you just about got KILLED (or just about caused an accident when a motorist had to take quick evasive action in order to NOT kill you).

Bicyclists would do well to ride only in places where bicycle lanes are provided or in low speed limit areas. And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS on the RIGHT side of the road (assuming in USA). Riding on the LEFT side of the road causes the oncoming driver to have to take IMMEDIATE action to keep from running over the bicycle. So does encountering a bicycle on the downside of a hill or around a bend when the motorist is going normal "highway" speeds.

A bicyclist can be obeying every law and be TOTALLY within their "rights" and STILL create a considerable safety hazard.

At least a drunk driver can be taken off the road if someone cares enough to "drop the dime".

In any case though, there is no excuse for profanities and flipping off.

Come on, CC, tell us how you really feel about bicyclist!

As a bike rider and motorist I take real exception to your statements the the bike rider is causing the safety hazard. If you are almost hitting a bicyclist who is doing everything legal, then the problem is your driving, not the biker. Around here (and most everywhere else) a bike rider has the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle driver. (And doing the maximum speed allowed isn't one of them - speed limits are max, not min speeds.) One of your responsibilities as a driver is to be aware of bicycles, know how to drive while sharing the road with ALL other users, and not insist your rights are superior to others.

OK, enough off-topic ranting. I agree with anytime there is erratic driving happening, calling the police is a good idea.

I can say that most people fail to engage their brain BEFORE dailing 911.

Just curious how it is exactly that you're able to make that claim?

Just a point... If the driver in question was sleepy at the wheel or what ever, and you go and quietly call 911, and follow them while waiting for your local law enforcement officer to show up, as has previously been noted, this period of time could be the difference between them running in to another car or not.

In the case stated earlier in this thread, it doesn't look like it caused any permanent damage, but how bad would you feel if you found out later that the person was falling asleep at the wheel, and you took your sweet time calling 911, while they ran head long in to on comming traffic?

My feeling is, honk a bit, continue to follow if necessary, and then call 911. The time it takes a LEO to show up might be too long, for the erratic driver, and the person they end up hitting....

Now of course if you're traveling in a seedy area of town, I might not feel safe honking at someone else (no where around here mind you, but I know some of you might live in such an area), in which case by all means let the law handle it....

My dad was a LEO both in Montana and Alaska, it was his advice to not honk or flash your lights at a suspected drink driver. The thought behind that is that if thay are having trouble navigating their vehical as it is, the added distraction may be all that is needed to cause an accident. Then how bad would I feel?

As a bike rider and motorist I take real exception to your statements the the bike rider is causing the safety hazard. If you are almost hitting a bicyclist who is doing everything legal, then the problem is your driving, not the biker. Around here (and most everywhere else) a bike rider has the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle driver. (And doing the maximum speed allowed isn't one of them - speed limits are max, not min speeds.) One of your responsibilities as a driver is to be aware of bicycles, know how to drive while sharing the road with ALL other users, and not insist your rights are superior to others.

OK, enough off-topic ranting. I agree with anytime there is erratic driving happening, calling the police is a good idea.

So you automatically slow down to 10 mph before going over every hill where you can't see what's on the other side?

And you have radar to see the unlighted bicycles with riders wearing blcak at night?

And you drive on the LEFT side of the road so as not to hit the bicyclists riding on the LEFT side of the road?

The hazards I mentioned are 100% generated by the bicyclists. Most of these things are against the law. But NO ONE enforces the law on bikes.

A small poorly visible 10 mph vehicle on a two lane 55 mph road is a HAZARD; legal or not.

Oh, and did I mention, bicyclists pay ABSOLUTELY NO ROAD USE TAXES?

I "share the road" very well. Bicycles are inherently hazardous in traffic. If you ride, you should know that and take appropriate precautions.

<End of second off-topic rant>

(To get semi back on topic: ) Would you feel like an idiot 101 if two people collide when they are BOTH doing everything right and legal? Legal and SAFE are 2 different things.

My dad was a LEO both in Montana and Alaska, it was his advice to not honk or flash your lights at a suspected drink driver. The thought behind that is that if thay are having trouble navigating their vehical as it is, the added distraction may be all that is needed to cause an accident. Then how bad would I feel?

And Mr. Policeman isn't going to cause that same added distraction when they show up? Heck tailing them may be enough to freak them out, and have them head in to on coming traffic.

Obviously a lot is going to depend on the circumstances. If its a busy busy road, chances are, they know they are driving eratically already regardless of you honking at them or not. On the other hand if its on a relatively quiet road, they might not.

So you automatically slow down to 10 mph before going over every hill where you can't see what's on the other side?

If that's the speed that is needed to safely crest that hill, yes - irregardless of bicycles, if the hill is that bad there could be lots of hazards that would make me slow down.

And you have radar to see the unlighted bicycles with riders wearing black at night?

What's legal about that? Do you have radar to see the drunk driver with wipers going instead of lights on a dark road? Meanless question.

And you drive on the LEFT side of the road so as not to hit the bicyclists riding on the LEFT side of the road?

No, I stay to the RIGHT, the guys on the LEFT are out of my lane.

The hazards I mentioned are 100% generated by the bicyclists. Most of these things are against the law. But NO ONE enforces the law on bikes.

The same hazards can be cause by bad (drunk or not) drivers of any vehicle. I don't know about where you live, but bikes are vehicles around here and LEO write tickets to/for them. You may not see it happen often, but then how many times have you seen auto drivers break the law and not get caught?

A small poorly visible 10 mph vehicle on a two lane 55 mph road is a HAZARD; legal or not.

As most drivers, you seem to know exactly how fast a bike can travel - NOT! I've had many close calls becasue a auto/truck driver assumed I was traveling slow and pulled some boneheaded stunt in my path (like passing me and making a right turn while still overlapping me by half a vehicle length). It's so much fun to put the bike down to avoid somebody like that. Besides, there are a number of legal motor vehicles that travel that slow (farm equipment, sweepers, etc.), where are your complaints about them?

I was wondering when this falsehood would appear. I'm a bicyclist - so why am I paying so much Road Use Tax? Does that mean I can deduct the taxes the next time I buy gasoline? Sweet! (Yeah, right!) Oh, who does the most damage to roads so they must be repaired? You and your many hundred pound vehicle, or me with my less than 30 pound bike? Who should pay the most?

I "share the road" very well. Bicycles are inherently hazardous in traffic. If you ride, you should know that and take appropriate precautions.

From your comments, it doesn't sound like you share well at all - unless you mean "get out of my way, I deserve to be here not you" type sharing. And I am aware of hazards on the road and do take appropriate precautions - which sometimes means, as a bike rider, I "ride as far to the right as is safe" (legal code), which at times means the center of my lane. I wear the right clothing for the setting, have lights I use when needed, and conduct myself as I should - which does not include getting off the road just because some motorists don't like bicyclists.

As a motorist, I deal with bicyclists as is proper (such as: don't pass bicycles until there is room to clear them).

There are all sorts of (as we like to call them) VITs (Very Important Twits) on the road - some drive autos, some drive bikes - if any of them are doing so in a dangerous manner, they should be reported to the police (and yes, I've seen bicyclist that need to be reported). Don't blame all bicyclists for the sins of a few, and the same for motorists.

Edited by The Jester

Don't blame all bicyclists for the sins of a few, and the same for motorists.

When it comes to bicyclists, the "few" are the ones who obey the law and ride safely. And even they are a hazard when on high speed roads by nature of the fact that they go slower than normal traffic.

"Denial" is not a river in Egypt.

ostrich.gif

Even though he's out caching he should've know better than have his head in the GPS and not on the road. I've been guilty of it myself but the wife quickly reminds me of my biggest pet peve which are knuckleheads who are talking on their cell phone whilst driving.

Hang up and drive! Or in his case "leave it to your navagator!" and drive!

And Mr. Policeman isn't going to cause that same added distraction when they show up? Heck tailing them may be enough to freak them out, and have them head in to on coming traffic.

Obviously a lot is going to depend on the circumstances. If its a busy busy road, chances are, they know they are driving eratically already regardless of you honking at them or not. On the other hand if its on a relatively quiet road, they might not.

"Mr. Policeman" may, but thay are better equipet t o handle the situation the your average Joe Shmoe. unless you have some secret advantage to share with us uninformed.

And you have radar to see the unlighted bicycles with riders wearing blcak at night?

<End of second off-topic rant>

(To get semi back on topic: ) Would you feel like an idiot 101 if two people collide when they are BOTH doing everything right and legal? Legal and SAFE are 2 different things.

You are off base.

First Bikers pay SOME road tax. Just not as much as drivers of gas hogs. Some road tax comes from property tax in addition to gas tax.

Second regardless of how you view bikers as a harzard (and I find them annoying as hell at times) if they are using the road as required by law (I like the sidewalk when biking myself but that's against the law) you are reqired to drive safely and accomodate them. There is no discussion here.

Where I find bikers to be truly dangeriouse is when they bob in and out of traffic and alternate between following the rules of the road as if they were a car and the rules of the casual biker (us sidewalk guys) at will. The erratic nature of their biking is an issue.

Legal and Safe can be two different things as safe is far more work. But trust me if you smack a biker who was doing everthing right, you will find that you weren't.

As an afterthought, bikers who ride on roads at night are required by law to have lighting in my state.

I once found myself on the wrong side of the road while caching, someone shoulda called 911 on me. Watching GPS instead of road.

Now...as an avid cyclist (over 8000 km last season) I wholly agree with CC. Cyclists are a hazard due to ther pure nature. (smaller/slower) And the refusal to give right of way to faster larger vehicles (come on you know you do)

Remember...he who is most defensive usually has the most to be defensive about

Honking at a drunk driver will make them speed up. (do you honk at a speeding drunk driver?)

Lights and sirens make them stop far more often then honking.

CatRancher, as a deputy sheriff, in my opinion, you did exactly the right thing. A recent "drunk driving" story; It was roughly 4:00am Sunday, when I got dispatched to a drunk driver. The complainant noticed the aberant driving pattern and followed the vehicle until I arrived. This guy was all over the road, so I hit my lights, and after several minutes, he drifts over to the side of the road.

I found out he was not drunk at all, but was going into diabetic shock. A kwick call to EMS and the guy was good as new. The lady that called it in probably saved his life.

Good call! :mad:

Okay, now THAT is a funny avatar!

Thanks...I kinda like it myself!!! We had the elephant/toilet avitar for a long time, then I had the idea to add the "geocaching for elephants" book, someone made it for me in the "avitar request" thread. Wish I remembered who so that I could credit them. Anyway, it is on all of our sig. cards too.

As for the "to boldly pee..." When you are out caching with 3 daughters...and me being a female...there is nothing more true than that little sentence!!!

edited to insert forgotten 't' (hey, I'm tired!)

Edited by The Herd

Great story!! LOL We always have funny things happen to us while geocaching. Although thank goodness we havent' been involved with the police yet. There are times people probably think I am driving erratically, when my husband announces "TURN HERE" lol and I am very guilty of the uturns. One night my husband and I were caching and couldn't stop, and was behind a large building in a shopping type center, the name of the cache was To the max, so as my husband says hey this box on the door says Max on it, but I can't seem to open it or get it off, so I walked up and helped Push and Pull, and twist....IT WAS NOT THE CACHE!!!! The name was because the building that we Almost set off the alarm at was ......"Office Max" ...yah feeling like an idiot isn't a stranger to me. We were driving down a country road and my husband announced in a questioning manner, "Is that a chicken in the tree" ? ? I look up and it did resemble a chicken the way that the feathers were all ruffled, however it was a HAWK...LOL So now ever time I see a hawk I ask, Is that a chicken???