Giving Up On The Explorist 600

I've had (2) Explorist 600's - both of which have had different problems that are unacceptable to me. With the first one, the zoom in button stopped working for the most part - I would have to push it 6-10 times to finally get it to work. Now on the second one, I took it out yesterday and it just wants to shut off and reboot (not sure how else to describe it) on it's own. I've had it, not going to experiment anymore.

What do I get now? The Garmin 60CSX or the 76CSX? What are the reasons behind the totally different design? I'm used to GPS buttons being below the display so the 60CSX seems more attractive to me. I suppose I'm confused, other than the additional memory that comes with the 76CSX, why would I choose one over the other?

The 60CSX appears to be a more sturdy build for outdoor use, which is all I will use it for. Is that just my imagination?

Thanks to all!!!!!!

-jeff

Edited by thehikingdude

What do I get now? The Garmin 60CSX or the 76CSX? What are the reasons behind the totally different design? I'm used to GPS buttons being below the display so the 60CSX seems more attractive to me. I suppose I'm confused, other than the additional memory that comes with the 76CSX, why would I choose one over the other?

The 60CSX appears to be a more sturdy build for outdoor use, which is all I will use it for. Is that just my imagination?

Thanks to all!!!!!!

-jeff

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I don't have eather the 60csx or the 76csx, but I just got done reading this post. Maybe you read it already too.

60csx Vs Map76csx Review

I just started working with the Legend Cx. I got it because of the memory cards.

I'm finding it a little work to get things the way I want and somethings don't work with the Cx yet like GSAK and I wish the icons on the map would show a little different using the POI program.

Being the Garmin X series is so new I have a feeling these problem will get corrected soon enough.

Edited by Milbank

The GPS units with sensors have had more quality issues, than the non-sensor units, whether Garmin or Magellan, but their have been several issues with the eXplorist 600. The eXplorist 500, has been a better GPS.

Do you have the latest Firmware update on the eXplorist 600?

The eXplorist units are a smaller and a lighter weight than the Map60Cx/CSx units, and have more hardware issues than the Garmins, but the people with the eXplorist 500 units, with the latest firmware updates, have had good luck with them.

I like the Map60Cx without the sensors, but I am getting alot of elevation noise in the tracklogs, but when I'm hiking the trails with a bit of elevation change in them, I like my large screen Map76S, which gives a nice elevation profile in the tracklogs.

The design of the Map76 series, was for boating use, and I liked the high resolution of the B&W LCD displays of them, but the color displays are now smaller in the new units.

The GPS units with sensors have had more quality issues, than the non-sensor units, whether Garmin or

That's what I got from reading the post here too.

Just one reason I went with the Legend Cx and not the Vista Cx.

Edited by Milbank

The GPS units with sensors have had more quality issues, than the non-sensor units, whether Garmin or Magellan, but their have been several issues with the eXplorist 600. The eXplorist 500, has been a better GPS.

The eXplorist units are a smaller and a lighter weight than the Map60Cx/CSx units, and have more hardware issues than the Garmins, but the people with the eXplorist 500 units, with the latest firmware updates, have had good luck with them.

I like the Map60Cx without the sensors, but I am getting alot of elevation noise in the tracklogs, but when I'm hiking the trails with a bit of elevation change in them, I like my large screen Map76S, which gives a nice elevation profile in the tracklogs.

The design of the Map76 series, was for boating use, and I liked the high resolution of the B&W LCD displays of them, but the color displays are now smaller in the new units.

Yes, I had upgraded the firmware on both of them.

What do you mean by "sensors"? I don't necessarily need the compass and altimeter if that's what you are referring to. I might consider trying the 500 instead, but at this point I'm very leary of trying another Explorist.

So if I go with Garmin and disregard the compass/altimeter models it looks like the 60Cx and the 76Cx are identical except for the memory and the physical design. Correct?

Thanks again, Jeff

I do a lot of hunting, so I already carry quite a bit in my backpack. I can't notice the extra weight. But I can see how a dedicated hiker would cringe at the extra 7-8 ounces. But for me this is not an issue.

4 rayovac Nimh batts give me 14-15 hours of run time when using the back light sparingly. I have big hands, so I like the feel.

I don't have a GPSr in my truck, so the XL fit the bill for me. I take it with me everywhere I go. I bought the 12v Magellan harness and the unit sits in my consol while still aquiring 8-10 sattelites.

I can't hear the beeps when the radio is on and the compass sucks, but other than that, I love it. It gives me the best of both worlds.

- RG

Based on the research I've done I'm leaning very heavily towards the Garmin 60Cx for the following reasons:

- Requires only (2) AA Batteries

- Buttons are below the screen for easier hiking use (IMO)

- Longer Battery Life

- Based on feedback from REI (Sales of Garmin is MUCH greater than Magellan among hikers)

Now I just need to decide if I really need the CSx over the Cx. With the comments regarding problems with sensors and the very little use I need for a compas or a barometric pressure altimeter I now lean towards the Cx over the CSx.

Additonal feedback is welcome.

Thanks, Jeff

For just Geocaching, the eXplorist 500 is the best pick.

For Hiking the Map60Cx, is the best pick with it's narrow width, and buttons at bottom, and a 10,000 point active tracklog.

For the best screen size and excellent mapping, the Lowrance Expedition C at 240x320 pixel resolution, is the best unit, but can be a bit wide, when hiking long distances.

The best GPS for poorer vision, would be an eXplorist XL, but it is not a GPS for outdoor fitness.

For ease of operation, upgrading, upload/download, and sensitivity it would be the 60Cx.

If you had the eXplorist 500, you can set up a GPS mount with the power/data cable snapped into the rear of it, so all you have to do is snap the GPS into the Mount, then power up the GPS, and you have instant connection with the PC.

So there are 4 good ones:

Lowrance Expedition C

eXplorist XL

eXplorist 500

GPSMap60Cx

Edited by GOT GPS?

Just curious, how much do you plan on paying for that 60csx? ;);)

60CSX = $499.95

60Cx = $449.95

Both from REI. I will need to return my Explorist 600 to them before replacing it. Now I just need to make the final decision of the Cx or the CSx.

I got the 60CSx today. What a difference!!! Magellan is easily 2 years behind Garmin at this point. Every single feature/screen/option is leaps and bounds better than the Explorist line. What a waste of time I spent with the Explorist 600. It's like going from a child's toy to a real tool. All in my opinion of course.

-jeff

A bit of warning, is that none of the GPS units mentioned are perfect, and are only of a Consumer Grade Quality.

There is a slightly higher quality with the expensive Garmins, but the eXplorists tend to be better, in that they can connect to the PC, as an external Drive via USB, and I'd imagine you can, in an imergency, drop some PC files onto the GPS, into a separate hidden folder on the SD Card, then move the files back off the GPS onto another PC, but thats my guess, since I have not had an eXplorist to try that with.

Both the GPSMaps and eXplorists have defects, but there are more problems with corruption of data on an eXplorist due to low battery, or maybe termal shutoff of the lithium battery is my guess.

Garmin is coming along with some good updates for doing tracks on the memory card, but it's in the primative stage right now.

I like the Lowrance Expedition C, but even that is still in the primative stage, as far as connecting to the PC, like the eXplorists can, and tranfering all the data and maps via USB, but you need the Lowrance's own Card reader, just to transfer the Mapcreate mapping to the card.

Some of the Magellan owners do have a Garmin Forerunner or Foretrex, and these are nice to have on the wrist, to track your Outdoor Fitness part of your activities, and to monitor Trip Time, Trip Odometer, average Speed, etc. I noticed magellan owners with these wrist mounted GPS units in the GPS INVENTORY thread I started back in February.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Did you have calibrating your compass? I can't seem to get mine right. It's 90 degrees off, exactly.

I've had (2) Explorist 600's - both of which have had different problems that are unacceptable to me. With the first one, the zoom in button stopped working for the most part - I would have to push it 6-10 times to finally get it to work. Now on the second one, I took it out yesterday and it just wants to shut off and reboot (not sure how else to describe it) on it's own. I've had it, not going to experiment anymore.

Thanks to all!!!!!!

-jeff

I have never had a problem with my explorist 500

Sensors are just a waste of money and are not needed for geocaching. you would be better off using the extra money on a few good pairs of socks. Forhet the sensors they are usless for geocachin

But I can see how a dedicated hiker would cringe at the extra 7-8 ounces. But for me this is not an issue.

[clip!]

- RG

Take half a handful less trail mix. Voila. There's your 7-8 ounces. -_-

An argument I used to have as a cyclist all the time.

If you're really THAT dedicated to light hiking, don't bring a GPSr at all! They're not all _that_ for hiking anyway. A compass, an altimeter, and a waterproof map. That's what light hikers carry...