California Geocoin 2006 Project

The Dillon Gang

I guess this really begs the question, if this coin is trackable, why are we buying coins for 10.00 a piece?

Prices fluctuate and eventually go up. we will do our best to keep the coin costs to a minimum. the prices stated in my last post are a best guess and highly optimistic.

Yeah, I read it as a rhetorical question to the masses.

Part of the reason though has to be that there are a 1,000 + being made. There's a big price break there and not many coins are made in that quantity anymore.

As to not take this off topic - Dillon Gang: you are one of the few makers that actually takes feedback and criticism without taking it personally. Kudos to you.

As to not take this off topic - Dillon Gang: you are one of the few makers that actually takes feedback and criticism without taking it personally. Kudos to you.

It has to do with it being a california coin...not a Dillongang coin. Input is required to provide a coin that represents california. thanks for the kind words. I always have counted on your input.

Input is required to provide a coin that represents california.

And thank you very much for your modesty. Looking forward to seeing them in person. :unsure:

Let me echo that, including kealia's thoughts. This has been a great thread, and you have been extremely patient with all of us who have offered ideas. I have learned quite a lot about the whole design process, which will be every valuable should we ever lose our marbles completely <_< and decide to put out a geocoin, ourselves. We're in for probably a half-dozen of these when they are ready for purchasing.

I think these coins are going to turn out well. Thanks to Dillon Gang AGAIN for doing the work to get these CA coins made. I'm looking forward to buying some for the third year in a row, probably the only geocoins I plan to buy this year.

Next I'll need more CA wooden nickels since I finally dropped the last one of the 200(?) or so I bought into a cache recently. They're great trade items. :anicute:

f9e58fef-3fcc-44a7-b917-475f66f4c2a3.jpg

Here is the first draft from coinsandpins.com. Please post your ideas, comments and input. All is desired and taken into consideration while developing the coin. It represents our state.

They have removed the "From the highest peaks" and the lgeocoordinates of Mt. McKinley. Also, the elevation of Death Valley appears to have been removed or too small. Also, the ammo cans on the wagon train don't look like ammo cans and are not green

The sign chould be contrasted a little better; perhaps with black lettering....

Also, I know that the bird, the flower and the bear are on the front as icons of California but I have to agree that these make the coin appear to busy. The main theme appears to be the geography of California so it would seem consistent to only show those features. Although the wagon train falls into this same issue, I think that it is really cool and really helps that face.

ON a side note - just got an email from somebody last night that picked up one of my 2004 (the original CA coins) and was inquiring on how to log it. It's been moving for 2 years now as have many others of my 2004's. I forget to check into the tracking site every now and then!

kealia,

how many coins (type and quantity) did you mint? Do you track all of their movements???? That is a pretty neat idea actually... but I'm sure it's a pain to input all that info....

Would love to see some of your coins!

d

Sorry if I confused things. Dillion Gang minted the 2004 CA coins I was referring to. I seem to recall that 1,500 or so were sold - he can tell you for sure.

I was just amazed that some of those coins (I bought 40 or so) are still traveling even though they don't get logged on this site (it's a seperate tracking site that was used). I still get emails from people saying that it's the first geocoin they've ever found, etc.

f9e58fef-3fcc-44a7-b917-475f66f4c2a3.jpg

Here is the first draft from coinsandpins.com. Please post your ideas, comments and input. All is desired and taken into consideration while developing the coin. It represents our state.

They have removed the "From the highest peaks" and the lgeocoordinates of Mt. McKinley. Also, the elevation of Death Valley appears to have been removed or too small. Also, the ammo cans on the wagon train don't look like ammo cans and are not green

The sign chould be contrasted a little better; perhaps with black lettering....

Also, I know that the bird, the flower and the bear are on the front as icons of California but I have to agree that these make the coin appear to busy. The main theme appears to be the geography of California so it would seem consistent to only show those features. Although the wagon train falls into this same issue, I think that it is really cool and really helps that face.

Nice coin. But you're right, I think the coin on both sides are way too busy.... too many colors. Is the mountain on the front going to be photographic printing? If it is the case, I will be interested in how they would put the bear and cal state graphics on top of the picture.... Also, I don't remember seeing the size of the coin.. but even if it is a 2" diameter coin, it will still be too much going on, in my opinion.

Out of curiousity, I know most coin mints give you about 4-5 different colors for free, then charge each additional color. Is this the case here?

thx

d

Sorry if I confused things. Dillion Gang minted the 2004 CA coins I was referring to. I seem to recall that 1,500 or so were sold - he can tell you for sure.

I was just amazed that some of those coins (I bought 40 or so) are still traveling even though they don't get logged on this site (it's a seperate tracking site that was used). I still get emails from people saying that it's the first geocoin they've ever found, etc.

ahh I see.

thx!

d

Nice coin. But you're right, I think the coin on both sides are way too busy.... too many colors.

The artwork has yet to be finalized, and you are commenting on very old art that has gone through about 5 or 6 revisions since then. Here is the latest art, if you wish to comment on it. :unsure:

998d21f2-c8c4-47ec-bba9-6327c603f3c7.jpg

--Marky

Here is the latest...well not the latest artwork. working closely with my friend Elyssa at coins and pins on a 3-d version for comparison. and have already removed the poppy and s off of peaks.

b9acee24-eedf-4c76-afad-2379b69f3e56.jpg

looks nice.

Is "death valley" and "mt. whitney" going to be in a darker color text?

Is "death valley" and "mt. whitney" going to be in a darker color text?

I agree...there needs to be something that sets that text off from the background more. A more contrasting color if you go with 2D, but I'm not sure what would be best in the 3D situation.

With a 3D design, let me reiterate my suggestion to have Mt Whitney raised above coin surface and Death Valley lowered below. :laughing:

I'm still not sure if the poppy adds anything to the front side (but in 3D, it probably won't be that distracting either), but besides that, everything looks great. I think 3D will look awesome on both sides.

--Marky

There is no official California Geocoin, never has been, and not aware of any planned. The word "official" probably should pertain to a statewide geocaching group, and none exists. There are regional groups in California, and some have coins. But there are no rules about these things.

That said, I really like the coin planned here and will buy some as I did with the last two.

There is no official California Geocoin, never has been, and not aware of any planned. The word "official" probably should pertain to a statewide geocaching group, and none exists. There are regional groups in California, and some have coins. But there are no rules about these things.

That said, I really like the coin planned here and will buy some as I did with the last two.

I agree that there is no official California geocoin, I just think that the title he's using is misleading.

can we get on your list now?

Considering how many people (including us) who have asked about this, it appears that TDG is going to wait until they know that the coins are ready before taking orders. We can't argue with that :laughing: Recently, there has been a strong groundswell against pre-orders, at least against those that are for coins that won't be ready for weeks or months. We don't mind pre-orders, but if the Gang can do this without them, we certainly won't argue! As long as there are plenty available when the time comes :laughing:

I agree that there is no official California geocoin, I just think that the title he's using is misleading.

Interesting development! Any more thoughts on this? we can always change the date on this coin to 2007?

Interesting development! Any more thoughts on this? we can always change the date on this coin to 2007?

I just saw that he's using the California State Flag for his icon. I hope you weren't thinking about using it. And I think you should continue with it and get it done in 2006.

Just saw the other coin on market site. I too like this one better, and as it gets done with user input, it becomes more "like" a official coin. Better make a bunch as I know, we here in California will want our usual bunch so we can get them out in the caches.

Thanks

:)