California Geocoin 2006 Project

The Dillon Gang

Hey that's looking pretty good now :P I'm in the less mules is better camp as well... and I'd replace cache or die with badwater. I also think the state outline can be dropped and include more of the whitney ridge as budd-rdc alluded to earlier.

Kudos for enduring all of the feedback and thanks for all the effort.

Edited by bullit

Hey that's looking pretty good now :) I'm in the less mules is better camp as well... and I'd replace cache or die with badwater. I also think the state outline can be dropped and include more of the whitney ridge as budd-rdc alluded to earlier.

Kudos for enduring all of the feedback and thanks for all the effort.

The Whitney ridge on the latest revision is a very good compromise, just the right size, and shows all the necessary features! (Sorry, bullit, for changing my stance just a little :) ) I notice a little local touch by the Dillon Gang - the Salton Sea (that should stay, if you decide to keep the state outline).

Thank you for the efforts so far, and I look forward in seeing the final revision, then the coin itself.

Back on track at coinsandpins.com. here is an updated image....still doing some fine tuning.

I like how things are developing. :(

[really_nitpicky]

What's that white mark on the state image down in Imperial county?

Is that a Gx marking Sacramento? It's hard to make out.

Are those supposed to be Poppy leaves? They look more like Oak leaves.

I don't really think you can claim from highest peaks:

Mt. Whitney Calif. 14,494

Mt. Elbert Colo. 14,433

Mt. Massive Colo. 14,421

Mt. Harvard Colo. 14,420

Mt. Rainier Wash. 14,410

Mt. Williamson Calif. 14,370

There are 4 between Whitney and Williamson

[/really_nitpicky]...my 2 cents.

Back on track at coinsandpins.com. here is an updated image....still doing some fine tuning.
Things are looking much better.
I agree, the leaves look very odd. Joani thought the same as well.

Yeah, since Valley is singular, I think Peak should be singular as well.

--Marky

I like how things are developing. :rolleyes:

[really_nitpicky]

What's that white mark on the state image down in Imperial county?

Is that a Gx marking Sacramento? It's hard to make out.

Mt. Whitney Calif. 14,494

Mt. Elbert Colo. 14,433

Mt. Massive Colo. 14,421

Mt. Harvard Colo. 14,420

Mt. Rainier Wash. 14,410

Mt. Williamson Calif. 14,370

There are 4 between Whitney and Williamson

[/really_nitpicky]...my 2 cents.

The white mark in Imperial County is the Salton Sea. Interesting story behind it, since it's a makeshift wildlife sanctuary from a man-made "disaster."

If the Gx marking Sacramento is unpainted and is metal (silver, gold, etc.) then I think it will shine so I'd prefer it that way.

I agree with many others that "highest peak" should be singular. Poppy leaves are supposed to be smaller and lower in proportion to the flower, and I suspect that's why it looks odd.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I think the Mount Whitney features look excellent. :unsure:

I'm down for buying atleast 2 of them.. I don't want to read the whole thread, so what was the price supposed to be and when do we/can we order?

somewhere around $7-8 per coin. haven't decided whether to have coinsandpins distribute and take the cash or do it myself....its a lot of work.

somewhere around $7-8 per coin. haven't decided whether to have coinsandpins distribute and take the cash or do it myself....its a lot of work.

Wow, that's expensive compared to previous Calif coins. I was hoping for something more in line with previous offerings so I could release some to travel.

Wow, that's expensive compared to previous Calif coins. I was hoping for something more in line with previous offerings so I could release some to travel.

Was wondering when you'd chime in....wonder where Kealia is?

its the gc.com tracking that helps contribute to the coin cost. 1.50 per coin!! previous ca coins are not trackable on gc.com and hence less money. also i didn't have to pay someone to collect cash and distribute coins. the last batch of ca coins i did cause lots of headaches with people not getting them on time...some going missing. one group took 2 months to make it to Michigan!!!!

gone are the days of the $4.00 geocoin :ph34r:

gone are the days of the $4.00 geocoin :P

Yeah, I suppose that gone are the days of the "grass roots" geocoins as well. I like to see a lot of these geocoins like these out travelling, and to do that, they need to be in the $5 range (imho). I realize that's not possible if you are having someone else sell and ship the coins. I'm fairly certain I could still do a $5 coin and not lose money (but, like you said, it is a lot of work). Maybe I will take on that work for the next Calif coin to keep the cost down. It worked out pretty well for the Calif Micro geocoin. :ph34r:

--Marky

gone are the days of the $4.00 geocoin :(

Yeah, I suppose that gone are the days of the "grass roots" geocoins as well. I like to see a lot of these geocoins like these out travelling, and to do that, they need to be in the $5 range (imho). I realize that's not possible if you are having someone else sell and ship the coins. I'm fairly certain I could still do a $5 coin and not lose money (but, like you said, it is a lot of work). Maybe I will take on that work for the next Calif coin to keep the cost down. It worked out pretty well for the Calif Micro geocoin. :grin:

--Marky

Just sell them in 5/10 packs again. :)

Christian

gone are the days of the $4.00 geocoin :(

Yeah, I suppose that gone are the days of the "grass roots" geocoins as well. I like to see a lot of these geocoins like these out travelling, and to do that, they need to be in the $5 range (imho). I realize that's not possible if you are having someone else sell and ship the coins. I'm fairly certain I could still do a $5 coin and not lose money (but, like you said, it is a lot of work). Maybe I will take on that work for the next Calif coin to keep the cost down. It worked out pretty well for the Calif Micro geocoin. :grin:

--Marky

Is that an offer??? I probably could fund the coins...the worst part of the coin business is the shipping.

gone are the days of the $4.00 geocoin :grin:

--Marky

Is that an offer??? I probably could fund the coins...the worst part of the coin business is the shipping.

I'll send you a note offline and see if I can help out.

--Marky

Just waiting on coinsandpins.com for a quote and the final image to determine if we can't get this one down to around $6 per coin. if we can, i'll take Marky up on his offer.

Hey Steve keep me in mind for a couple coins. Thanks

Tim Slaby

Slabyfam

Back in the game

QUOTE(The Dillon Gang @ Jun 27 2006, 07:10 AM)

Just waiting on coinsandpins.com for a quote and the final image to determine if we can't get this one down to around $6 per coin. if we can, i'll take Marky up on his offer.

Christian.....better PM him and get this project started.......I know you can do this for that price with PINS....Set me up for an order of at least 5 if you can get the job.

just a quick question for all in california....

would you prefer a well defined 3-d coin on both sides or a coin with color?

im thinking 1000 coins for regular

+ 100 LE silver and gold coins in 3-d

Personally, I don't care about the LE's anymore. Just make a nice looking coin at a good price and that's good enough for me.

3-D is always nice. If you decide to use color, I prefer it be simple, for example the outer blue ring, and maybe color-fill the state outline.

Other features of the coin should look good without color.

Regarding the distribution to save money, I will volunteer to mail out a number of packages. If you get enough volunteers, this should make the job easier. Maybe if each person can do 30 to 40 mailings, averaging 3 each??

I live in LA area, but get to San Diego often: one kid goes to college there, UCSD, and my company's division HQ is there. Can pick up, whatever...

I prefer a nice 3D coin over color. LE doesn't mean much to me. I'm only interested in these because they are CA coins.

With that mountain on the front, I would rather see a nice 3D effect. Having Mt. Whitney sort of jumping out at you would probably be a lot nicer than an extra few colors. As for cost, I'll repeat that I don't find $8 a coin to be outrageous, not anymore. Costs are what they are, and things aren't getting cheaper. Don't cut corners; make a good coin, and you'll find plenty of buyers at $7 or $8 each.

Currently coinsandpins.com is working on changes i asked for (looking at a well defined 3-d image on both sides with perhaps some color on the edging + a LE coin)

Also been busy and have not been able (courteous enough) to send an email back to them regarding how many coins to be minted. thinking 1000 regular and 100 LE. or can go with 900 regular and 100 LE.

will also talk with them about having cachezone.com sell them in Europe for our friends across the pond.

Got the quote for the prices, including the LE edition and they are perfect. We should be close to $6-6.50 per regular coin, LE may be $8-8.50. (still working on the final prices on my side)

Look for this great product from coinsandpins.com to get wrapped up quickly.

As for Christian...perhaps another time. I am satisfied with the service and professionalism at coinsandpins.com while working on this coin.

Currently coinsandpins.com is working on changes i asked for (looking at a well defined 3-d image on both sides with perhaps some color on the edging + a LE coin)

Also been busy and have not been able (courteous enough) to send an email back to them regarding how many coins to be minted. thinking 1000 regular and 100 LE. or can go with 900 regular and 100 LE.

will also talk with them about having cachezone.com sell them in Europe for our friends across the pond.

Got the quote for the prices, including the LE edition and they are perfect. We should be close to $6-6.50 per regular coin, LE may be $8-8.50. (still working on the final prices on my side)

Look for this great product from coinsandpins.com to get wrapped up quickly.

As for Christian...perhaps another time. I am satisfied with the service and professionalism at coinsandpins.com while working on this coin.

I vote for more = better (1000 regular, 100 LE), or if you want to, mint even more.

$6-$6.50 per coin is definitely reasonable. If you can mint more and lower the cost more, you are welcome to do so. I suspect there are enough cachers who like dropping off coins with the "how many coins can I buy for $xxx?" mentality, like me.

$6.00 - $6.50 is a great deal these days for a trackable coin. Hope to see these soon. I don't get the $2.00 extra for the LEs but that's another thread :laughing: .

ON a side note - just got an email from somebody last night that picked up one of my 2004 (the original CA coins) and was inquiring on how to log it. It's been moving for 2 years now as have many others of my 2004's. I forget to check into the tracking site every now and then!