California Geocoin 2006 Project

The Dillon Gang

I agree with ParentsofSAM on the front side. "From the Highest Peaks" can be on top, to keep it symmetric with where the "To the Lowest Valleys" is on the back, while "California Geocoin 2006" can be on the bottom instead.

I suppose a smaller quail or school of quails can be near where the bear and the sequoia tree is. I do like the attempt to include as many state symbols in the coin as possible, within reason.

I like the blue and gold color scheme very much. ;)

On the front, add "From the Highest Peaks" on the top. Lose the quail, lose the bear, lose the poppy and in my opinion, lose the state outline. Make "California Geocoin 2006" on the bottom.

On the back, lose a bunch of mules and then with the extra space you get, bring the wagons closer and into the center. I don't really care for the buzzard or the guy with the GPS. I like the sign and the ammo can.

--Marky

Looks too busy and crowded, too many colors, too cartoon like

highest point on one side and lowest on the other is a great idea

coordinates, elevations (GPS related)

I would also think the mule train should moved up closer

3-D is way better than muti-colors anyday

I never lived in California, So I'll shut my hole now ;)

I agree with most of what Marky says. Loose the buzzard and the guy, keep the sign and ammo can. Kind of a nitpicky thing, but the green things behind the mule train look like saguaro cactus or joshua trees, I'm not sure which. Saguaro's make me think of Arizona, not CA. To tell you the truth, I didn't see much of anything growing at Badwater other than a few clumps of scruby grass. I think it's OK to make the back side look as desilate as possible (i.e. rocks, dirt and salt flats).

Front side looks too busy. Nice to have some State symbols, but it looks too crowded the way it is. I'd drop the State outline and just go for Whitney with a couple of symbols.

I'd also vote for no color. Just 3D of Whitney and 2D of Death Valley.

I think the blue/gold is a nice color combination but would cast my vote for no-color as mentioned in the OP.

Also, strongly agree with the others. Pick one design element (Mt Whitney if that's what it's going to be) and focus on that for each side).

(FWIW - I think Mt Whitney has been used on at least two coins already and a number of pins, etc. so I would vote for something else - but I may be in the minority)

Dillion Gang - I know what it's like to design by committee; thanks again for having thick skin.

Back side: Less mules, less stuff... I like the sign with an ammo can and background mtns.

Front side: I'd go with Whitney only and drop the state outline, bear, tree, poppies and quails.

I prefer no color but blue and gold does look good.

Thanks for all the effort and putting up with criticism :laughing:

(FWIW - I think Mt Whitney has been used on at least two coins already and a number of pins, etc. so I would vote for something else - but I may be in the minority)

Dillion Gang - I know what it's like to design by committee; thanks again for having thick skin.

I personally don't mind it too much because of the highest/lowest theme (which is unique to Calif in the contiguous states).

--Marky

I personally don't mind it too much because of the highest/lowest theme (which is unique to Calif in the contiguous states).

--Marky

agreed! i don't plan on departing from the highest/lowest point theme. the rest is subject to change. Tess is working hard on making the changes. hope to have a new pic to post soon.

I personally like simple designs and consider it a mark of quality when it comes to state coins. Too many subjects on one coin is not appealing to me at all. The highest / lowest points theme is excellent IMHO. Avoid cartoon characters/images, especially if mixing with non-cartoons. The temptation to include too many subjects can be overcome by remembering that there is always next year to do another coin and another subject.

JMHO, thanks for taking on the project!

Last run there were 2005 coin minted...thinking along the same lines (2006)

By "last run," do you mean "last of many" runs? Do you plan on overproducing these coins like the 2005 coins? I got burned pretty badly on the 2005 coins; I bought a whole bunch extra to sell (at cost) to cachers who didn't get in on the order, only to find that there were additional runs done during the year. Now I am stuck with a whole bunch of 2005 coins, and nobody is interested in them even at cost.

If you plan on doing that to us again this year, please warn us so that we can take the oversaturation into account, OK?

By "last run," do you mean "last of many" runs? Do you plan on overproducing these coins like the 2005 coins? I got burned pretty badly on the 2005 coins; I bought a whole bunch extra to sell (at cost) to cachers who didn't get in on the order, only to find that there were additional runs done during the year. Now I am stuck with a whole bunch of 2005 coins, and nobody is interested in them even at cost.

If you plan on doing that to us again this year, please warn us so that we can take the oversaturation into account, OK?

If you are still selling, we will take a 2005 at cost plus shipping. :ph34r:

sorry bout what happened. it was stated that we would mint 2005 (i think) just ran out of money after fronting for the first 1200. i think the value is down based on flooding the market with other coins and the fact that most people are now wanting coins trackable on gc.com.

I can make this statement for sure...there will be no more than 2006 coins minted! There might be less. we are focusing on a Limited Edition and a standard. Depending on what the market will bear, the pricing and amount made will be determined.

I do like the attempt to include as many state symbols in the coin as possible, within reason.

All due respect and friendliness to my gentle neighbor, but I most emphatically do NOT like that.

If I was going to design it, this is what it'd look like (sure wish I had photoshop at work):

Obverse - High relief Mt Whitney, "From the Highest..." on the top edge, coords for the peak

Reverse - Badwater sign in low relief, "... to the Lowest" on the bottom edge, coords for the sign.

GC tracking number on the outside edge, the way the AK coin has it.

That's all. No state outline, no state animal/vegetable/mineral, no cartoon characters, in fact, no characters at all. "California 2006" somewhere harmonious to the design.

After all, you don't have to put everything on this year's coin -- save some stuff for next year!

In fact, here's my rant on the subject, and then I'll shut up.

<soapbox>

I am California-born, a child of three generations of Californians. I have been other places and seen other continents, and I would never live anywhere else than right here where I live. For all its problems and drama, California is still the easiest state in the union to live in if you're anything other than "normal" by the rest of the country's standards in terms of creed, lifestyle, etc etc etc. I love my home.

California is big, diverse, rich in history and people and culture. California is too big to try and fit all of it on two sides of a 1.5" diameter circle. It can't be done, and I think it's a waste of time and creativity to try.

I feel that one could do an annual release of California coins, each year acknowledging two distinctive things about our state, one per side; if they're applicable to geocaching, so much the better. This year, the high and low points. Next year, the Gold Rush and the Railroads. The year after, Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo and Sir Frances Drake. The year after that, John Muir and Joaquin Miller. Or Jack London and Mark Twain. Or Robert Louis Stevenson and John Steinbeck. Or San Francisco and Los Angeles. Or redwoods and palm trees. Or a grizzly and a condor.

You could go on for years like this. The European countries that have geocoins have hundreds of years more history than we have; you don't see them trying to cram it all onto one coin, and I think our state deserves no less than a classy, beautiful, admirable piece of exonumia that stands up against the very very best the whole world has to offer, don't you?

</soapbox>

And with that, I've certainly gone on longer than I should've. Do as it suits you to do; my advice is worth the paper it's printed on.

Me? Opinionated? Naaaah. :anibad:

:anibad:

I feel that one could do an annual release of California coins, each year acknowledging two distinctive things about our state, one per side; if they're applicable to geocaching, so much the better. This year, the high and low points. Next year, the Gold Rush and the Railroads. The year after, Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo and Sir Frances Drake. The year after that, John Muir and Joaquin Miller. Or Jack London and Mark Twain. Or Robert Louis Stevenson and John Steinbeck. Or San Francisco and Los Angeles. Or redwoods and palm trees. Or a grizzly and a condor.

sounds like you are the natural to take over the urge to mint the ca coin :) BTW: Native born So Cal 3 generations

When I think of California, This comes to mind!!!!

all-rounder-surfboard.jpg

I bet you'd triple your sales on a coin shaped like this.

Have California on one side with the Groundspeak logo and a tracking # and maybe something like this on the back.

redwood09.jpg

Edited by 57chevy

There's the Mavericks Competition in our neck of the woods, in Half Moon Bay. (I can already smell nielsenc or southbayday going hogwild on this idea. -_- ) There are at least two Geocaches nearby for a great view of Pillar Point.

Back on topic. I'm eagerly waiting for the next revision of the 2006 CA Geocoin Design.

Sorry bout the delay. still waiting on coinsandpins.com to get the updated design to me. was hoping to have these minted and on the way to all before june. we'll see what happens

Anything new on this project?

we have another design ready, but it didn't have all the changes i asked for. also Tess's computer went on the fritz and she has to rebuild the file to make changes.

Sorry bout the delay. still waiting on coinsandpins.com to get the updated design to me. was hoping to have these minted and on the way to all before june. we'll see what happens

Anything new on this project?

we have another design ready, but it didn't have all the changes i asked for. also Tess's computer went on the fritz and she has to rebuild the file to make changes.

I would like to buy some of the coins once they are finalized. ErnieModesto erniemodesto@yahoo.com

Scratch everything and just put a big mugshot of Ahnold on both sides. Also, the correct spelling is "Cauliforkneeuh". <_<:):)

OK, seriously...

I would have to agree with much of what has been suggested. On the front, lose everything except the Whitney image. Put "FROM THE HIGHEST PEAK" at the top, and "CALIFORNIA" at the bottom. On the back less mules and enlarge the wagons. Just keep the background and the wagon, and maybe some simple text like on the front stating "Death Valley" and the elevation. Put "TO THE LOWEST VALLEY" at the bottom, and "2006 GEOCOIN" at the top. I don't think any coordinates are necessary. Keep the tracking numbers on the front to fill in where the Whitney landscape stops. Replace the bear paw prints with the Geocache symbol, and use them on the front as well.

I like the colors blue and gold. I'm also not sure why "peaks" and "valleys" are plural. I think the singular case is simpler and makes a stronger statement.

Motogrrl has some really good advice. Save everything else for themes on later editions.

Thanks for taking input! I am looking forward to this coin!

Scratch everything and just put a big mugshot of Ahnold on both sides. Also, the correct spelling is "Cauliforkneeuh". :(:mad::mad:

OK, seriously...

I would have to agree with much of what has been suggested. On the front, lose everything except the Whitney image. Put "FROM THE HIGHEST PEAK" at the top, and "CALIFORNIA" at the bottom. On the back less mules and enlarge the wagons. Just keep the background and the wagon, and maybe some simple text like on the front stating "Death Valley" and the elevation. Put "TO THE LOWEST VALLEY" at the bottom, and "2006 GEOCOIN" at the top. I don't think any coordinates are necessary. Keep the tracking numbers on the front to fill in where the Whitney landscape stops. Replace the bear paw prints with the Geocache symbol, and use them on the front as well.

I like the colors blue and gold. I'm also not sure why "peaks" and "valleys" are plural. I think the singular case is simpler and makes a stronger statement.

Motogrrl has some really good advice. Save everything else for themes on later editions.

Thanks for taking input! I am looking forward to this coin!

great input....hope to incorporate it

I'm a bit late in seeing this thread, but it's been fascinating reading it all! If I might add my own tupence...

I agree: "peak" and "valley" is the way to go.

I like the obverse with the state outline and Mt. Whitney, but without the bear and tree. The number can be inside the outline. You *don't* need the word "California" anywhere on the coin; it's pretty obvious what it is, even to most non-Americans, who are generally a lot more geographically-savvy than most Americans (geocachers, excepted, of course :) ) If another design element was really wanted - I can see it either way - either a quail or a poppy, about where the tree is now, would be fine.

As for the reverse, I would prefer "straight" elements, rather than cartoonish ones, as they will go better with the images on the obverse.

Color would be nice, but not a necessity.

And I agree with those who have said that some of the proposed elements can be saved for later; The Golden State has so much diversity that you won't run out of ideas in 100 years. If you want to start thinking about 2007, take the tree from this year's original idea, and make that the centerpiece. You can put a Coast Redwood grove on one side, and a bristlecone pine on the other, perhaps overlooking Mono Lake. Call it "the Tallest and the Oldest." If you can drop a Sequoia in there, as the "Largest", go for it. A three-sided coin? :) Idea free of charge :lol:

This is all i have hear from coinsandpins in a while. waiting for a new image. i removed the bear, but have a few changes still in mind. hoping to get this minted and on sale by june.

So the only color is going to be the gold on the State of California?

This is all i have hear from coinsandpins in a while. waiting for a new image. i removed the bear, but have a few changes still in mind. hoping to get this minted and on sale by june.

on the limited edition i think. might go with color on the regular edition

on the limited edition i think. might go with color on the regular edition

Please keep us updated until the next draft - I'll say again that we can use less mules. :wub:

If you aren't going to have coords for both the high and the low, I think you should leave the coords for the low off. I'll restate a few things:

Less mules (with more detail on the remaining mules and wagon).

Still too busy. The busy elements seem more understated now, making them a bit less annoying, but the coin would look much better without them (imho).

Does the star need to be on the state? That's for the state capitol, right? Just another distracting element. You could even lose the state outline completely and it wouldn't bother me.

--Marky

If you aren't going to have coords for both the high and the low, I think you should leave the coords for the low off. I'll restate a few things:

Less mules (with more detail on the remaining mules and wagon).

Still too busy. The busy elements seem more understated now, making them a bit less annoying, but the coin would look much better without them (imho).

Does the star need to be on the state? That's for the state capitol, right? Just another distracting element. You could even lose the state outline completely and it wouldn't bother me.

--Marky

After thinking for a bit, I agree that the star can be something else - a waypoint symbol, a "G", etc.

Don't want to mess with Texas. :blink:

I don't like the person on the coin, it makes it look cartoonish.

Will all the mules look like mules or just a clump of something. I can't make out the soldiers on the gold civil war coins so that is what might happen with the mules.

I do like the star on the state, it breaks up the lump of color.

I don't live in CA but I visited once.

Edited by LadeBear68

I don't live in CA but I visited once.

Thanks for your money! Did you take someone home with you????

As for our wonderful contributions on the development of the coin, thanks! Patience though on changes. i am hoping when aaron and tess send the next image, they will send the photoshop file and i can make changes faster....until then we have to wait.

My suggestion is this...

Drop the quail... Move the California Geocoin 2006 to the area where the quail is and drop Geocoin out of it. If someone doesn't know it's a geocoin...

Where the California Geocoin 2006 was... place "From the highest peaks..."

I don't think it looks as good with both parts on one side. Since only one area is represented on each side.

Edited by MetroGT

Looks like the saguaro cacti have been removed. Great since they are not generally associated with California. Probably just a handful on the California side of the Colorado River. They are not in Nevada, (except imported ones) but made the Nevada geocoin anyway.

Great design, third generation Sacto boy can't wait for them to be produced.

Thanks for allowing for all the input.

I still have to wonder why there is still only one set of coords, on the reverse. If you don't have both, don't use either. And, of course, we're getting rid of the bear, right? I really think that the obverse will be perfect with just the state outline, Mt Whitney and the poppy, and the reverse with just the mule team; make that bigger and drop the cartoon. Drop "From" and "to", respectively: "The Highest Peak" and "The Lowest Valley" is all you need. You can drop "California 2006" from the rim and add Mt Whitney's coords. Put 2006 inside the outline where the star is and drop the star. This will focus attention on the key points. The 20 Mule Team wagon is a key part of Death Valley's history, while vultures are not that common in Death Valley, anyway.

As Henry David Thoreau wrote, "Simplify, simplify." But I do like the general look of the concept B)

here's what is in the works, (both children have play practice consuming much of the family time)

Front side:

Whitney with elevation and title

From the Highest Peak

poppy

california

tracking number

Back side:

To the Lowest Valley

mule team (perhaps with ammo box wagons)

Death Valley sign with elevation

Ammo camo

cow skull

2 versions

limited edition silver and gold

regular probably color

Edited by The Dillon Gang

I personally don't like the idea of a limited edition. They are always priced with a higher profit margin for no good reason, and it is one less coin likely to be a travelling coin. When I did the California Micro, I purposely didn't mint an LE version so that less coins would end up in collections and more would end up travelling. I've been very happy with the number of California Micros that I've seen travelling from cache to cache.

With that said, if you make an LE, there are those (myself included) that will feel compelled to buy them. But it probably means I will buy a couple less of the regular edition and will feel less likely to place any out to travel.

I'm sure there are those who feel the opposite on this topic.

--Marky

Thanks for the update. I see that you zoomed in on Mount Whitney so the surrounding ridges are not as visible. I actually prefer your previous revision (4/27) for Whitney, since that's what makes it look unique.

I suspect the number of mules will have to be reduced to make the coin mintable, so I won't comment any more. :)