What Is Included In A Gpx File?

rogueleader1977

Just purchaced a magellan explorist 210 and paid for a premium mebership. So I've figured out downloading the gpx files, my question is this: What info is included in the gpx file? The instructions said it includes "everything". Does that include the initial "instructions" for the cache? For example where the person might type (before the hint) "Tupperware box contains log book bring a pencil". If so any idea why I am not seeing that part? I have the name, coord, last found, type, dificult and hint. Also is there a way to get cache size included?

One last question, I have been using the Magellan Geocache Manager software that came with my unit. I also downloaded easy gps. Is there any advantage to easy gps over the magellan program? Thanks!

Now that you are a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries (see the link on the right hand side of your Account Details page.)

Each of these PQs has 500 caches in it. The .gpx files are sent to your email InBox in .zip format and you can open them using a program like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

GSAK can be configured to send the Cache Name, Size, Type, Difficulty, and Terrain to oyour GPSr instead of the GC name of the cache.

I have an older Palm M500 with Cachemate installed on it. I haven't had to print out a cache page in a long time because Cachemate has the cache description, the Hint, the Past Logs, and a place I can log the cache. :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't help you with the Magellan question . . .

One last question, I have been using the Magellan Geocache Manager software that came with my unit. I also downloaded easy gps. Is there any advantage to easy gps over the magellan program? Thanks!

EasyGPS is an easy to use program. But it actually has one disadvantage with respect to Magellan Geocache Manager. EasyGPS only exports regular POI files. Magellan Geocache Manager exports Geocaching POI files. In addition to the coordinates, Geocaching POI files include the name of the cache, the owner, date it was placed, date it was last found, difficulty/terrain ratings, and a hint. The Geocaching POI file also makes use of the same geocache icons as used on geocaching.com. When you use a Geocacing POI file, you can mark caches as found. The GPSr will record the date/time you found that cache, and show a checkmark on the cache icon on the map.