New To This. Wanting Info On Which Gps To Buy.

bonzmeister

Hi. I've been hearing about geocaching for a while, and am about ready to buy my first gps. I'm thinking Garmin 60Csx. Would this be a good one or am I spending more than necessary. Thanks.

Depends on your budget and what you want in a GPS. The "x" series in general will allow you to be more flexible about loading lots of detailed maps as it will take a micro-SD card that expands built-in memory. Some people have a bare-bones Garmin Yellow Etrex or Magellan Explorist 100 that just shows on a screen their position vs. the cache, but others like having the detailed road and/or topographic maps and find them useful.

Also, the "x" series uses a special chip called SiRF that gives superior reception, especially in heavily wooded areas (though I'm not sure about the 60Csx, I know the 76Csx and above "x"'s have them), so that alone may be worth the extra money if you can afford it.

Enjoy and good luck!

Edited by hairymon

If you are just starting out and you have lots of money to spend the 60CSX is fine. But you do not need a top end GPS for geocaching, as was stated by Hairymon you can find just as many caches just as easily with a lower priced GPS. On good starter unit is the Magellan Explorist 210, It has 22 mb of memory for waypoint and map downloads. If you shop around you can find them for about $179.00

Also, the "x" series uses a special chip called SiRF that gives superior reception,

THe Legen CX and Vista CX do not have the SIRF III chipset. THe X designation is fpor units the use the expandable memory. The SIRF III Chipset is only used in the 60CX, 60CSX, 76CX and 76CSX.

AS far as supperior reception is does offer improved reception when compared to older Garmin units. Magellan has always used a very sensitive chipset.

Get the 60CSx and don't think twice about it ever again. Best Antenna receiver on the market. Go for it, and enjoy! Can you tell I am partial? I got mine 21 days ago. Glad i did. It fits my hand like a glove. Works great in the woods, unlike most of the others due to the new technology of the receiver.

Cary in S.D.